Unless I missed it, I don't recall any news about the Parker In-home visit | The Boneyard

Unless I missed it, I don't recall any news about the Parker In-home visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been any word out of Jabari Parker's camp about the KO in-home visit, but maybe their MO is keeping things close to the vest.

A thought came to mind as I began to see big time names like Parker, Vonleh and even XRM pop up for UConn. One thing that JC was very good at that some coaches s*cked at is he knew how long to hang in there for the big time recruits and when to pull the trigger for those tier-B, C, etc. ones.

Sometimes he'd hang in their to the end. Gettng Rudy was a successful example. Brandon Bass & Diogu, to name a couple, not so successful.

As for the examples of dropping out of the sweepstakes and jumping on more attainable recruits would be Okafor, Boone, Hilton, Marcus Williams, Walker and the list goes on and on. With a little digging, we could come up with who the possible plan-A recruits that they bailed on were. With Walker, it was Brandon Jennings. With Mek I think it was two players Sampson & Fox. In some of these cases, the Plan-A recruits decided to go elsewhere, which I think is the case with Emeka. So he might be a bad example in this case. Also with MW, I think JC preferred him over the much higher ranked PG who's name escapes me. It ended up that MW had a much better career than the other guard, so JC knew something there...his eye for talent and potential is a whole other thing that I'm not addressing with this post, but is a valid one. As for Walker, if JC ended up with his LOI, he would have suffered the same fate that Zona did, when Jennings didn't qualify and ended up playing over in Europe before entering the draft.

I've seen some high profile programs go down the toilet for few years because they swung for the fenses and missed. By the time they realized they weren't going to get these players, there simply wasn't much left. The less available ships you have the worse this dynamic gets. Sometimes even if you have a lot of ships, once you fill a spot with one position, recruits that were interested in your program that play that position often drop you, or you simply can't afford to use a ship on that same position. It's a process of constant movement weighing who you like most, who's most attainable, how high the stakes are in light of the competition for that recruit (Parker case in point), how strong you are with that recruits (Parker again) and how good you evaluate a lessor player at that given position. At some point you have to pull the trigger on a player-X and pass on Player-Y, or risk having little to pick from, ending up with a recruiting class that can't compete anywhere near the level you need to.

What concerns me most is that the recruits most likely to be able to take into account KO's 7 month contract but still sign here are the elite ones that I'd assume think that if they commit here there would be a high probability that it would help secure a long term deal for KO. The next tier are the ones that UConn usually has the most success with, but I don't know if they'd have the same confidence. Parker & Vonleh fit the first category, but the stakes and competition are extremely high. XRM fits at the cusp of that list. Not sure if he would be a big enough fish for Manuel to decide to give KO an extension. Maybe! I hope I'm wrong, but I would think the recruits that are in the 26-75 range are the tougher sell. Recruits in the 75-150 might be more attainable depending on their list of schools. UConn might just be their only or one of their only elite programs, often one they've always liked, and too good to pass up regardless of the head coach, or at least feeling pretty good that if it's not KO, that UConn will get a very good one to replace him.

It will be very interesting to see how KO handles this. Due to the challenges that are out of his control, it might be hard to draw any long term recruiting philosophy conclusions.

Reaction Score
Jordan Bell this year is a mid-ranked guy that could be considered someone who we held off on till we heard from others and now looks like we are going to offer him. He is big on UConn so wouldn't be surprised if he committed asap.

Reaction Score
The Parker family keeps most recruiting news close to them an doesn't release that much.

Reaction Score
In 20 minutes DM....relax, deep breath!!!
The in 20 minutes thing doesn't really apply when we're talking about an in-home visit that took place 4 to 5 days ago. I think 3uconn summed it up though. The Parker family is probably playing Jabari's recruiting close to the vest to prevent it from becoming a media circus.

With that said, it would be nice to know how it went. If he still has some in-homes scheduled, I imagine they'll release some sort of consolidated report when he's done with them all. If he's done though, who knows if we'll ever know. The next news might be the 5 officials he'll set up from which we can infer how KO's visit went.

Reaction Score
The in 20 minutes thing doesn't really apply when we're talking about an in-home visit that took place 4 to 5 days ago. I think 3uconn summed it up though. The Parker family is probably playing Jabari's recruiting close to the vest to prevent it from becoming a media circus.

With that said, it would be nice to know how it went. If he still has some in-homes scheduled, I imagine they'll release some sort of consolidated report when he's done with them all. If he's done though, who knows if we'll ever know. The next news might be the 5 officials he'll set up from which we can infer how KO's visit went.
His next news will most likely be a narrowed down list at this point.

Reaction Score
@ReggieRankin: #1 Jabari Parker had a school visit with Florida HC Billy Donavon today and this evening a home visit with Roy Williams of North Carolina.

Reaction Score
If we make the final 5 and get aa visit, i would be really happy

Reaction Score
About the UConn in-home visit: "It was a great home visit," Sonny said. "Kevin Ollie, him being a former player, being in the NBA, now the coach at UConn, they have a great program. Jabari chose to have UConn come in."

Parker's father, Sonny Parker, said his son would visit Duke at the end of October and was unsure of the date of the Michigan State visit. Parker is also expected to decide this week on three other schools to visit.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/stor...spect-jabari-parker-visit-duke-michigan-state

Reaction Score
About the UConn in-home visit: "It was a great home visit," Sonny said. "Kevin Ollie, him being a former player, being in the NBA, now the coach at UConn, they have a great program. Jabari chose to have UConn come in."

Parker's father, Sonny Parker, said his son would visit Duke at the end of October and was unsure of the date of the Michigan State visit. Parker is also expected to decide this week on three other schools to visit.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/8455158/top-prospect-jabari-parker-visit-duke-michigan-state[/quote]

thanks for the link, seems like ollie is killing in the livingroom

Reaction Score
'Hell-afied' list of schools. Coach is outmatched but not out-gunned!
Never big on recruiting wars but if Ollie can pull this recruit in, its a long term deal sealer. Go Ollie!!!!

By the way it takes some huge balls to request an in-home visit when you weren't even on the list. That alone shows we are in fine hands and our Coach has no fear.

Reaction Score
So Duke and MSU are two of the five getting visits. Any guesses as to which 3 of the remaining 8 schools get the others? We should know by tomorrow right?

Reaction Score
I don't think he would have added us if he didn't plan on having us in is top 5 if the visit went well.

Reaction Score
If we're on it we come in at five most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom