University of Tennessee Women's Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

University of Tennessee Women's Basketball

Reaction Score
Holly was a dinosaur...but, in many ways and with all respect, so was Pat. The UConn style (with all that it implies) was superior by the early 2000s - not withstanding the three two straight wins UT had while Parker was there. For me, the defining game was the 2000 NC in Philly.

Geno's great talent is being able to read players' state of mind and use that insight to motivate them. And it starts during recruiting. And I have an original theory about that.

My mother was born in the US, but to Polish immigrants who didn't speak any English and lived in a Polish-speaking neighborhood. She entered school with no English and learned by watching as she picked up words and then sentences, much like Geno describes happening to him. My theory is that people who are unable to communicate verbally with those around them develop an ability to read body language, facial experession, tone of voice, and use these to figure out what they are talking about. My mother was adept at reading faces and body language. I never asked about it but it makes sense. Our brains are programmed for survival and being unable to communicate with language the brain does what it can to compensate.

Now if we can only find another genius basketball mind that was forced to learn a second language at a young age. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey, perhaps?

Whoa...good question. I find myself going back to when women's basketball was just beginning to make inroads at "major" universities. As such, I don't know if these following players were "superstars" as we would refer to them now, per se, but they were very accomplished:

- Pat Summit at University of Tennessee-Martin. Summitt still holds numerous UT Martin records from her 1970-74 playing career. At UT Martin she was a member of the school's most successful basketball team, the 1972-73 team which compiled a 22-3 record. In addition, she was a co-captain of the United States Women's Olympics Basketball Team that won a silver medal in the 1976 Olympics held in Montreal.
She then over to Knoxville.

- Debbie Ryan was a very good point guard for a very small school (Ursinus) and she then went to UVA, became an assistant coach and her first HC job was at the University of Virginia. She got to the finals once, several final fours and coached one of the other people mentioned in this thread, Dawn Staley.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Why would she leave arguably the 3rd best program in WCBB that she built to come to Connecticut. She’s from Louisiana, she’s been in Texas for 16 years and her daughter and grandchild are down there. I appreciate the outside the box thinking but I just don’t see it.:)
I wasn't offering Mulkey as a nominee to be Geno's successor. I was offering her as a counterexample to your statement that no star player other than Dawn Staley had gone on to become the head coach of an elite WCBB program. I quoted the post that I was responding to right above my reply to make that clear (or so I thought).

As I have previously said on this forum, Sue Bird is my choice to be Geno's successor. Mulkey's success shows that someone with Sue's resume can be successful as a coach at an elite level. One of Sue's many assets from the standpoint of recruiting is that she is a celebrity in women's basketball who will need no introduction to any elite high school player in North America or Europe. That cannot be said of Jen, Carla Berube, Shea Ralph, or any other current coach in Geno's tree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno's great talent is being able to read players' state of mind and use that insight to motivate them. And it starts during recruiting. And I have an original theory about that.

My mother was born in the US, but to Polish immigrants who didn't speak any English and lived in a Polish-speaking neighborhood. She entered school with no English and learned by watching as she picked up words and then sentences, much like Geno describes happening to him. My theory is that people who are unable to communicate verbally with those around them develop an ability to read body language, facial experession, tone of voice, and use these to figure out what they are talking about. My mother was adept at reading faces and body language. I never asked about it but it makes sense. Our brains are programmed for survival and being unable to communicate with language the brain does what it can to compensate.

Now if we can only find another genius basketball mind that was forced to learn a second language at a young age. ;)
Interesting read! Makes a lot of sense as well. It is about finding relationships between two seemingly unrelated things. Fosters creative outside the box thinking. In conversations with my sister I found out she taught herself quite a few thing out of necessity. Both of us were also immersed into the school system not speaking the language. In my sisters case she taught herself pronunciation by watching how people placed their tongues when they said certain sounds that our native language did not possess. It was the same process that they used to teach us younger kids in speech therapy. She came to that conclusion herself. In retrospect, I found I also taught myself various skills throughout my life growing up.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bird seems very happy living in Seattle the last 17 years...I'd be surprised if she decides to leave the west coast, especially as long as she is with Rapinoe. Not sure why, but I also get the feeling she'd be more likely to go the NBA route than WCBB.

I won’t argue that point, but if offered, that may be the chance/opportunity of a lifetime that she could not turn down. I’m not aware of Sue harboring any coaching aspirations.

So that would probably be the only HC job offer she would seriously entertain. She’ll have her pick of post career employment opportunities when she retires, including a possible coaching or front office position with an NBA team. Just a thought.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I wasn't offering Mulkey as a nominee to be Geno's successor. I was offering her as a counterexample to your statement that no star player other than Dawn Staley had gone on to become the head coach of an elite WCBB program. I quoted the post that I was responding to right above my reply to make that clear (or so I thought).

As I have previously said on this forum, Sue Bird is my choice to be Geno's successor. Mulkey's success shows that someone with Sue's resume can be successful as a coach at an elite level. One of Sue's many assets from the standpoint of recruiting is that she is a celebrity in women's basketball who will need no introduction to any elite high school player in North America or Europe. That cannot be said of Jen, Carla Berube, Shea Ralph, or any other current coach in Geno's tree.
Gotcha! Now the big difference is Kim served many years as an assistant before taking over a dreadful Baylor program, Dawn became a head coach at a bad Temple team and did great (Tanya has yet to replicate anything that consistent at Temple despite inheriting a very good foundation), then took over a struggling SC program. Giving Sue the keys is the same as giving it to Diana, no experience. I also don’t see Shea or Jasmine leaving to open up a spot for Sue or D to serve under Geno. Alas, not sure Geno would slight Shea in favor of either Sue or D when that time comes (though technically it won’t be his decision ;)). Last, I don’t see either Sue or D, this late in their careers wanting to learn this new skill given their gravitas already earned. Good thing we have 10+ years before we have to worry!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are certainly a number of outstanding UConn alumni who have both the star power and basketball knowledge to be outstanding replacements when Geno steps down. Geography and family present a problem for many of them. One alum who has the star power, basketball knowledge and wouldn’t even have to change their address to take the job is Rebecca, who I believe would make an outstanding coach.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
There are certainly a number of outstanding UConn alumni who have both the star power and basketball knowledge to be outstanding replacements when Geno steps down. Geography and family present a problem for many of them. One alum who has the star power, basketball knowledge and wouldn’t even have to change their address to take the job is Rebecca, who I believe would make an outstanding coach.

Rebecca has said on her podcast (and probably in other places) that she’s not interested in coaching.

But I wouldn’t be sad if she changed her mind... :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
At least when the less than grounded LV fans were saying “get Kara Lawson” there could at least be a plausible theory as she did coach some 3x3 USA participants despite her public protestations about not wanting to leave gigs as an announcer. Naming Sue, Diana, Rebecca is just shear nonsense. None have shown an inkling of interest, nor would any National Program turn over a program to an untested coach. To rebuild a downtrodden program, absolutely as they have nothing to lose. To give them the helm of UConn without any experience recruiting, organizing practices, drills, preparing and creating a robust schedule, handling the media about their team (probably the easiest for these 3) and managing games and minutes of players is lunacy. Why people keep perpetuating it is beyond me. Give me Carla (if she handles Princeton), Scott Rueck, Kelly Graves or even Shea. Heck, even Jeff Walz might be great for us! On second thought scratch that...too many Captain & Gingers At happy hour.:confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
At least when the less than grounded LV fans were saying “get Kara Lawson” there could at least be a plausible theory as she did coach some 3x3 USA participants despite her public protestations about not wanting to leave gigs as an announcer. Naming Sue, Diana, Rebecca is just shear nonsense. None have shown an inkling of interest, nor would any National Program turn over a program to an untested coach. To rebuild a downtrodden program, absolutely as they have nothing to lose. To give them the helm of UConn without any experience recruiting, organizing practices, drills, preparing and creating a robust schedule, handling the media about their team (probably the easiest for these 3) and managing games and minutes of players is lunacy. Why people keep perpetuating it is beyond me. Give me Carla (if she handles Princeton), Scott Rueck, Kelly Graves or even Shea. Heck, even Jeff Walz might be great for us! On second thought scratch that...too many Captain & Gingers At happy hour.:confused:
I'm 100% all in on Carla if, as you've said, she delivers at Princeton. I love Scott, but he'd have to open up his style. Maybe with more talent he would, but that walk it up, high pick and roll offensive is boooooooooooooorrrrring.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
In theory, yes, but a lot will depend on if UCONN will fork up $$ for a good coach. Tennessee clearly didnt/hasnt and we've seen them disappear into (relative) oblivion . If UCONN takes a dip in the next few years or shortly after Geno retires, it might be tough to overcome playing in a weak conference. All comes down to coaching and recruiting IMO.

Surprisingly, no one in Pat or Geno's coaching tree has found a consistent high level of success at the D1. Might be smart to go outside of his tree, but obviously I assume he'll have a big say in who replaces him.

Tennessee is too busy paying former football coaches to pony up the money for a top shelf WBB coach.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Mmm disagree somewhat. The brand is there. Look at the people Holly was able to get to go to Tennesee. Eventually you have to be able to produce though.

Holly had 2 very awful years of recruiting and the change she had to make was to bring in someone more in tune with today's youth in order to get the last 2 recruiting classes. Prior to that, recruiting was abysmal.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Tennessee is too busy paying former football coaches to pony up the money for a top shelf WBB coach.

You will see what top shelf is when Kelly gets going. ;) Her most recent stint was with a program that she turned around and coached to the Sweet 16 without any elite players on the roster. I think she's been enough places, had enough experiences, failures, adversity, and success to be someone that is up to the challenge.

Time will tell though cocky!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Why is this not posted in the General Womens thread?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Holly was a dinosaur...but, in many ways and with all respect, so was Pat. The UConn style (with all that it implies) was superior by the early 2000s - not withstanding the three straight wins UT had while Parker was there. For me, the defining game was the 2000 NC in Philly.

LOL...Candace did not play in that first game of the 3 straight games, so yeah, Pat could still beat the UConn way, even without a Candace Parker. That was the game that featured a few freshmen in Anosike, Hornbuckle, and Wiley-Gatewood. Candace was a player in the next 2 games that TN won. In Candace's final year, the match up was all set, but UConn couldn't get past the offense of Stanford and TN went on to win the title against that same Stanford team.

When Pat had the players and most importantly, a point guard, she could still beat all comers. The years after Candace (Pat's next 3 years), she never got an elite point guard. That hurt Pat's success much more than any UConn system....that she had previously beaten 3 times in a row.

Perhaps it not insane to realize that one of the reason's Pat was so great was that she excelled across the various eras of women's basketball. She knew how to change with the times, while also being consistent with her philosophies. So yeah, Geno had a span where he kept whoopin' Pat, but then Pat got even better and built a team that would beat his teams.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
LOL...Candace did not play in that first game of the 3 straight games, so yeah, Pat could still beat the UConn way, even without a Candace Parker. That was the game that featured a few freshmen in Anosike, Hornbuckle, and Wiley-Gatewood. Candace was a player in the next 2 games that TN won. In Candace's final year, the match up was all set, but UConn couldn't get past the offense of Stanford and TN went on to win the title against that same Stanford team.

When Pat had the players and most importantly, a point guard, she could still beat all comers. The years after Candace (Pat's next 3 years), she never got an elite point guard. That hurt Pat's success much more than any UConn system....that she had previously beaten 3 times in a row.

Perhaps it not insane to realize that one of the reason's Pat was so great was that she excelled across the various eras of women's basketball. She knew how to change with the times, while also being consistent with her philosophies. So yeah, Geno had a span where he kept whoopin' Pat, but then Pat got even better and built a team that would beat his teams.

Reaction Score

You realize that Tennessee was 6-13 against UConn before those 3 wins you are talking about, right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You will see what top shelf is when Kelly gets going. ;) Her most recent stint was with a program that she turned around and coached to the Sweet 16 without any elite players on the roster. I think she's been enough places, had enough experiences, failures, adversity, and success to be someone that is up to the challenge.

Tennessee is a tough, tough place to coach because the expectancy is so high, although Holly may have helped with that. Of course it is also one of the few places in the country where people strongly care about woman's basketball, so it's also a great place to coach.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Yes it will, Smokey!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom