Univ. Illinois - Champaign about to get pressure to push for B1G expansion | The Boneyard

Univ. Illinois - Champaign about to get pressure to push for B1G expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh the stupidity.

If it were simply a matter of building better schools, you don't need a feasibility study to join the B1G. You need to make the decision to shell out the moolah.

pj

Reaction Score
This is why the B1G will keep talking about AAU as a standard. So they can more easily resist pressure to add the likes of Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is going nowhere. You can't invite yourself. Even if the two current Illinois members were on board (which I doubt) that is only two votes. A third Illinois school does nothing to help the B1G, so I don't think there will be any out of state support.

UChicago would be the only other Illinois school that would have any shot at B1G membership, primarily because it was a founding member. Right now I think there is zero interest on either side for UChicago to rejoin the B1G.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They already have a second school from Illinois.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
This is going nowhere. You can't invite yourself. Even if the two current Illinois members were on board (which I doubt) that is only two votes. A third Illinois school does nothing to help the B1G, so I don't think there will be any out of state support.

UChicago would be the only other Illinois school that would have any shot at B1G membership, primarily because it was a founding member. Right now I think there is zero interest on either side for UChicago to rejoin the B1G.

UC is already part of the academic wing of The Big10 - The CiC and they are very expensive and selective. A student not getting into The University of Illinois Champagne - Urbana is not getting into The University of Chicago, or Northwestern University.

I understand the legislators' point, I just don't agree with it. He is saying he wants a 2nd public school with the prestige and ability of a Big 10 school, but at a more affordable price and lower admission standards for Illinois residents. Very hypocritical, especially since Illinois, much like many other states, is pulling back on their funding of public universities (forcing them to take more out of state students at a higher tuition rate). Michigan takes so few public money that some consider them a private like school.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Anyone going out of state clearly thinks their other options in state are not of the right quality for them. You can be B1G like in quality if you invest without actually joining the B1G. I realize the B1G has common educational attributes, but for me when I think B1G I think sports affiliation.

Reaction Score

Maybe 100 years from now, Chicago might rejoin. Maybe.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Anyone going out of state clearly thinks their other options in state are not of the right quality for them. You can be B1G like in quality if you invest without actually joining the B1G. I realize the B1G has common educational attributes, but for me when I think B1G I think sports affiliation.

For fans like you and me, this is spot on. Academics and University Presidents don't, though.

Reaction Score
For fans like you and me, this is spot on. Academics and University Presidents don't, though.
Big Ten athletic culture is comparable to Ivy League athletic culture. Except the Ivies have totally stereotypical nerds in their bands and the Big Ten schools have preppy nerds in their bands.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Being that Northwestern is private, they'd probably join the side of the out-of-staters and tell Illinois that Illinois State can't quite cut the mustard.

Edit: Apparently the name of a certain condiment is inappropriate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UC is already part of the academic wing of The Big10 - The CiC and they are very expensive and selective. A student not getting into The University of Illinois Champagne - Urbana is not getting into The University of Chicago, or Northwestern University.

I understand the legislators' point, I just don't agree with it. He is saying he wants a 2nd public school with the prestige and ability of a Big 10 school, but at a more affordable price and lower admission standards for Illinois residents. Very hypocritical, especially since Illinois, much like many other states, is pulling back on their funding of public universities (forcing them to take more out of state students at a higher tuition rate). Michigan takes so few public money that some consider them a private like school.

Illinois can get in line. As far as that line goes, they would curently be well behind Iowa, which has a second public school in Iowa State that is quite a but ahead of anything in Illinois, and also Ohio, which has Cinci that would be ahead of any other Illinois public as well. This is nothing.

Reaction Score

I seriously doubt most academics even know the name's of these college conferences, never mind put any stock in them. Not sure they care.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt most academics even know the name's of these college conferences, never mind put any stock in them. Not sure they care.

Yup, but they care what schools they associate with.

Reaction Score
Yup, but they care what schools they associate with.

If they don't know the conference, they have no idea what schools they associate with. The schools in the B1G know because they are all landgrants and share benchmarks in any metrics and assessments, but most have no clue. Even at the highest levels of academia outside the Ivy, you'd think people at schools like Carnegin-Mellon, U. Rochester, Johns Hopkins, New York U., etc., might like to know they are in the same conference, but they really have no clue. The academics wouldn't push for it in any case.

Reaction Score

Say it ain't so, upstater! Clearly, Nicky has had influence here...

Reaction Score
It might or it might go nowhere? Did you cover all you're bases Einstein? Geez..

I tried to. I can't predict how the Big Ten would react other than to assume that the Big Ten doesn't want another Illinois member. But how this political pressure develops could have influence if it is strong enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom