United States crushes Senegal to open women's hoops play 121-56 | The Boneyard

United States crushes Senegal to open women's hoops play 121-56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
RIO DE JANEIRO -- The U.S. women have started their run for a sixth straight Olympic gold medal in basketball in record-setting fashion.

The Americans scored their most points ever in beating Senegal 121-56 on Sunday while also notching their largest margin of victory in the Olympics, topping a 60-point win over Zaire in 1996 in Atlanta.

Lindsay Whalen scored eight points as part of the United States' 121-56 rout of Senegal on Sunday. The U.S. won its 42nd straight Olympic game, easily handling an African nation still looking for its first victory in its second Olympics. Diana Taurasi finished with 15 points, all on 3s.

The Americans led 35-9 after the first quarter. Senegal got a boost as local fans embraced the underdog, cheering every shot. It didn't help, as the United States led 64-21 at halftime and 94-38 after the third quarter, leaving only the final margin in doubt.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a sensational game from start to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the game, even the 13-3 run by Senegal to end the game. Good for them for also playing hard right to the last second.

I thought every single player for Team USA played terrific and each showed they deserved to be there, in their own way. LOVED Ann Meyers confirming what most of us know - that Bird is STILL currently the best PG in the world.

LOVED seeing Griner get the start and play really well. Loved seeing Augustus hit some great mid range shots and play solidly. Loved seeing Catch come off the bench and simply make things happen. Loved seeing Stewie come in and not only show she's the future, but she's also the present. Loved the energy Angel brought to the game. Loved seeing EDD come in and just be able to do what she does best, and not being "needed" to force anything more out of her game. Loved seeing Whalen not only be aggressive in offense at times, but also in RUNNING the offense - I was critical of her in an earlier exhibition game where she came in and tried to do everything and the offense stalled. Not today at all. And Fowles - just wow. Terrific defense and offense as well.

I didn't mention any of the starters really except for Griner. All 4 of the UCONN products are just amazing. We are so blessed to be able to watch players we loved in college continue to thrive and dominate on the biggest stage in the world for their sport.

I realize Senegal was overmatched. I know there are things Geno can take from the game and have them work on. But just a treat to see 40 minutes of absolutely beautiful basketball by one of the greatest teams ever assembled...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great display against a really over-matched team. Their zone defense is still a work in progress.
You see the balance that USA and Geno wants with the 'mid-range' being sort of what you take when the post is clogged and they are running out on the three point shooters.
And you see what the PG on a USA team is supposed to do - Sue took one shot in the first half and she and Whalen combined took 8 shots made 5 with 1-2 on threes. (Whalen was fouled on one other shot and made 2-2) - the PG position represent 11% of the USA total shots but 31% of the assists.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Great display against a really over-matched team. Their zone defense is still a work in progress.
You see the balance that USA and Geno wants with the 'mid-range' being sort of what you take when the post is clogged and they are running out on the three point shooters.
And you see what the PG on a USA team is supposed to do - Sue took one shot in the first half and she and Whalen combined took 8 shots made 5 with 1-2 on threes. (Whalen was fouled on one other shot and made 2-2) - the PG position represent 11% of the USA total shots but 31% of the assists.
Yes. Perhaps now I can begin to stop being critical of Walen who in almost all of her previous games stopped the flow of the offense as soon as she entered. As I'd mentioned previously Griner's conditioning was the reason for her lack of play during the exhibitions. More so than Cowles she'll be the difference inside against teams like Australia.

Reaction Score
Although I have a premium Comcast package, NBC universal sports is apparently not included. Obviously some by'ers watched the game. My questions: did you use a comcast channel, if so, which one. and second, is the video of the game available anywhere? Thanks in advance from a frustrated fan

Reaction Score
Although I have a premium Comcast package, NBC universal sports is apparently not included. Obviously some by'ers watched the game. My questions: did you use a comcast channel, if so, which one. and second, is the video of the game available anywhere? Thanks in advance from a frustrated fan

There is an NBC Sports app that you can watch every event either live, replays or highlights. If you have Comcast X1, you can do the same with your tv remote.

Reaction Score

I watched comcast NBC Sports channel 1607. Not sure about replay.

Reaction Score
Stewie 15 pts (13.5 mins)
DT 15 pts (all in 3)
Sue 8 pts (8 assists, 2 steals)
Maya 9 pts
Tina 10 pts

May not be long before we will be able to get a UConn starting five out of the top 15 players of all time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thanks, I do get that channel even though it is not listed in my Comcast provided channel guide. BY'ers as usual are great at helping out us media challenged fans

There should be replays of this game on the NBC sports channel for the rest of today and tomorrow. There were multiple replays of the men's game against China.

Carnac

Reaction Score

You can also find LIVE FEEDS of USA women's 2016 basketball games in Rio on You tube.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Meyers-Drysdale is one of my favorite commentators. She typically does not get caught up in a lot of the fluffy crap that some want to discuss, like who is wearing "strappy heels," which we had to listen to Lisa Leslie drone on about for what seemed like 5 minutes.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Meyers-Drysdale is one of my favorite commentators. She typically does not get caught up in a lot of the fluffy crap that some want to discuss, like who is wearing "strappy heels," which we had to listen to Lisa Leslie drone on about for what seemed like 5 minutes.

Lisa is my girl, but I've got to go along with you on that one. Her "on-air" repertoire could use a bit of polish. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This team has some of the greatest finishers of all-time. Get the ball to Brit, Diana, Tina, Maya, Elena, and Stewie.

Reaction Score
There is also a NBC Basketball channel. I've seen it on Cox (IIRC 888) and Frontier (1102). Similarly, there is also a NBC Soccer channel.

IIRC, all the women's games will be on NBC Sports Network (#1640 for HD on Frontier/Vantage) except for the gold medal game.

You can also get replays starting a day after the game on www.NBCOlympics.com. My friend had to log onto his Cox account to access the live and replay events. So, I'm assuming that if you get NBC Sports on your system, then you'll be able to access the games on this website. I think either a sports package or the all everything package gets you NBC Sports on Frontier.

Reaction Score
Realizing the weak opponent but the USA looked really, really good!
I said before this might be the greatest WBB team ever in the Olympics! And they're only going to get better!
No Egos, Divas, Prima Donnas, it was evident from the start JUST WIN BABY was the game plan!
The 12 just fit together like a hand in glove.
The only problem if there is one is sometimes they try too hard and go too fast but time and experience together will cure that!
WOW!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks, I do get that channel even though it is not listed in my Comcast provided channel guide. BY'ers as usual are great at helping out us media challenged fans
that has always been the "Olympics" channel since atleast 2012... channel 25 in hartford which bumps you up to the HD channel 1607

found out that Tennis is on the Bravo Network... caught Serena today

JS

Reaction Score
Lisa is my girl, but I've got to go along with you on that one. Her "on-air" repertoire could use a bit of polish. :rolleyes:
Yeah. Maybe she could switch from English to Polish when she wants to talk about strappy heels.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I said before this might be the greatest WBB team ever in the Olympics! And they're only going to get better!
WOW!
Interesting thought, and perhaps we should make this a separate thread-Best Women's basketball Olympic team ever. Both 1996 and 2000 Olympic teams had 3 future HoF (Naismith variety) players ( Dawn, Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes). On this team DT & Maya are locks to make the HoF. Sue has a good shot and EDD & Stewie are on the right trajectory. Who else?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'd give it DT for all those killer 3's to start the game. That was just badass!

I was shocked to see Senegal leave D that w-i-d-e open and unguarded. Didn't they scout her? You can't leave her that open and unguarded like that. If/when you do, that's what you get.......nothing but net!!!
It's amazing that she had 3 open looks at the basket before they made an adjustment. Let's see how many open looks D gets against Spain this morning.

Reaction Score
Realizing the weak opponent but the USA looked really, really good!
No Egos, Divas, Prima Donnas, it was evident from the start JUST WIN BABY was the game plan!
The 12 just fit together like a hand in glove.
The only problem if there is one is sometimes they try too hard and go too fast but time and experience together will cure that!
WOW!

I agree with you and have been saying the same thing. In my opinion, this is the best women's basketball team in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom