United States crushes Senegal to open women's hoops play 121-56 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

United States crushes Senegal to open women's hoops play 121-56

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Interesting thought, and perhaps we should make this a separate thread-Best Women's basketball Olympic team ever. Both 1996 and 2000 Olympic teams had 3 future HoF (Naismith variety) players ( Dawn, Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes). On this team DT & Maya are locks to make the HoF. Sue has a good shot and EDD & Stewie are on the right trajectory. Who else?

Tina Charles is a lock for HOF. I would put her up against any 4/5 player that has ever played the game. She has perfected the hook, the fade away and is money from 15 feet. Add the fact that the is one hell of a rebounder.

Sue Bird is a lock for HOF. Will she have 4 or 5 Olympic gold medals after Rio?

Possibly Griner? She will be in select company of players who have won NCAA, Euro, WNBA, WC and Olympic championships. If that ain't HOF I don't know what is. And she will surely add a few more golds to her total. She will eventually go down as the greatest center in history because she still has so much upside as she is only 25 and still has a lot to learn about the game, which she only started playing as a freshman in high school.

Reaction Score
What a sensational game from start to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the game, even the 13-3 run by Senegal to end the game. Good for them for also playing hard right to the last second.

I thought every single player for Team USA played terrific and each showed they deserved to be there, in their own way. LOVED Ann Meyers confirming what most of us know - that Bird is STILL currently the best PG in the world.

LOVED seeing Griner get the start and play really well. Loved seeing Augustus hit some great mid range shots and play solidly. Loved seeing Catch come off the bench and simply make things happen. Loved seeing Stewie come in and not only show she's the future, but she's also the present. Loved the energy Angel brought to the game. Loved seeing EDD come in and just be able to do what she does best, and not being "needed" to force anything more out of her game. Loved seeing Whalen not only be aggressive in offense at times, but also in RUNNING the offense - I was critical of her in an earlier exhibition game where she came in and tried to do everything and the offense stalled. Not today at all. And Fowles - just wow. Terrific defense and offense as well.

I didn't mention any of the starters really except for Griner. All 4 of the UCONN products are just amazing. We are so blessed to be able to watch players we loved in college continue to thrive and dominate on the biggest stage in the world for their sport.

I realize Senegal was overmatched. I know there are things Geno can take from the game and have them work on. But just a treat to see 40 minutes of absolutely beautiful basketball by one of the greatest teams ever assembled...
I completely agree! What a great game to watch! Beautiful basketball! I am especially enjoying Brittany's evolution- great talent, willingness to learn meets best coach ever.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tina Charles is a lock for HOF. I would put her up against any 4/5 player that has ever played the game. She has perfected the hook, the fade away and is money from 15 feet. Add the fact that the is one hell of a rebounder.

Sue Bird is a lock for HOF. Will she have 4 or 5 Olympic gold medals after Rio?

Possibly Griner? She will be in select company of players who have won NCAA, Euro, WNBA, WC and Olympic championships. If that ain't HOF I don't know what is. And she will surely add a few more golds to her total. She will eventually go down as the greatest center in history because she still has so much upside as she is only 25 and still has a lot to learn about the game, which she only started playing as a freshman in high school.
Sue, Catch, and Diana are going for their 4th Gold. Teresa Edwards has 4 Golds and 1 Bronze. Lisa Leslie has 4 Golds.

If Sue stays healthy and plays next year, she should become the WNBA career assists leader.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sue, Catch, and Diana are going for their 4th Gold. Teresa Edwards has 4 Golds and 1 Bronze. Lisa Leslie has 4 Golds.

If Sue stays healthy and plays next year, she should become the WNBA career assists leader.

Does anyone doubt that DT can play again in 2020 if she wants? Who is going to beat her out? Maybe Jewell Loyd in four years but I wouldn't bet on it. I can see DT coming back for one more Olympics if she can stay healthy. I just wonder if Taylor's retirement will impact how much longer DT wants to play.

Reaction Score
Does anyone doubt that DT can play again in 2020 if she wants? Who is going to beat her out? Maybe Jewell Loyd in four years but I wouldn't bet on it. I can see DT coming back for one more Olympics if she can stay healthy. I just wonder if Taylor's retirement will impact how much longer DT wants to play.
I still predict PT becomes DT's assistant coach, on both teams. (But would she have to learn Russian?)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's hard to say, because aging is not linear and a lot can happen in 4 years. But I wouldn't count her out. Sue looks as if she may have 4 more years in her too, though I expect that she'll retire before then.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She'll be about the same age Catch is now. If she is still playing 4 years from now (and I doubt that she will), and Geno is still the USA women's head coach, then I will agree. She's 34 now. It would be very easy for her to lose the desire to play between now and then. She's already accomplished everything in women's basketball.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
:oops:

upload_2016-8-9_4-15-11.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member