Uniform Update-Is A Change Coming? | The Boneyard

Uniform Update-Is A Change Coming?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Would be ecstatic. The rebrand after we joined The American was insanely stupid, not only timing wise but brand wise.

Agreed. With the feelings of anger towards the present situation and nostalgia for a return to what was, it was not smart to overhaul the brand. Most important to our program was and is recognition, and a recognition not for what we are but for what we were. You keep the brand that people saw on TV during multiple national championships, a BCS bowl, etc. Now, we've sort of 'Americanized' our brand. It may seem like a small thing, but I do think that it contributes to our image both within our own fanbase and across the country.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I don't hate our new logo and our current helmet, but the block C is preferable. It's simple, masculine, and memorable. For UConn football branding purposes, we cannot do better than the block C.

Trust me, I have a marketing degree.

Reaction Score
I prefer the block C but always thought our current helmets would look better with larger logos and no stripe.

Reaction Score
I don't hate our new logo and our current helmet, but the block C is preferable. It's simple, masculine, and memorable. For UConn football branding purposes, we cannot do better than the block C.

Trust me, I have a marketing degree.
YIKES....NO attack Redding but do you realize the people that took away the only tradition we had at the time had marketing degrees??? ;) :D
It was nothing more than NIKE marketing convincing Susan and Warde at the time we needed re-branding. Our block C which said UConn football and our smiling Johnathan went out the window in a money grabbing heartbeat. NIKE offered all free art and design services thinking it would sell a ton of replacement garb. This with little or no knowledge of what our mascot and the block C meant at the time.

The smiling Husky on a shirt did not have to say UConn or Connecticut for anyone to know what school was represented. The block C did the same in short time for the football program. It bothers me to remember asking Warde in person if he would consider his Alma mater getting rid of the block M. He had no direct reply but his honesty was not in question that day as I asked him what the consensus was on the brand change and his response was 70 / 30 in my favor. Sad but little consolation.

Like your description of, simple , masculine and memorable, it fits well. ;)

Reaction Score
The block C is nicer looking but in terms of recognizability and branding, the Husky logo is more memorable.

That being said, it is more important to look good than to be instantly recognized at this point.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
YIKES....NO attack Redding but do you realize the people that took away the only tradition we had at the time had marketing degrees??? ;) :D
It was nothing more than NIKE marketing convincing Susan and Warde at the time we needed re-branding. Our block C which said UConn football and our smiling Johnathan went out the window in a money grabbing heartbeat. NIKE offered all free art and design services thinking it would sell a ton of replacement garb. This with little or no knowledge of what our mascot and the block C meant at the time.

The smiling Husky on a shirt did not have to say UConn or Connecticut for anyone to know what school was represented. The block C did the same in short time for the football program. It bothers me to remember asking Warde in person if he would consider his Alma mater getting rid of the block M. He had no direct reply but his honesty was not in question that day as I asked him what the consensus was on the brand change and his response was 70 / 30 in my favor. Sad but little consolation.

Like your description of, simple , masculine and memorable, it fits well. ;)
My opinion is from a marketing expert with nothing to gain financially and a pretty good knowledge of UConn's history and tradition.

Like you said, Nike's marketing people had a financial stake in the matter and they didn't give a rat's ass about our tradtion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like the logo over the Block C. I think the logo should be a little larger on the side of the helmet. I also liked the helmets with the frontal eyes, but I am in the minority with both opinions.

Reaction Score
If I was coach I'd make them wear plain helmets(no logo) and uni's with no name(school or individual) until they get invited to a bowl. Make them earn it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If I was coach I'd make them wear plain helmets(no logo) and uni's with no name(school or individual) until they get invited to a bowl. Make them earn it.

I....sometimes I struggle to know if you're actually being serious. I mean, probably more than sometimes even...

Reaction Score
I like the logo over the Block C. I think the logo should be a little larger on the side of the helmet. I also liked the helmets with the frontal eyes, but I am in the minority with both opinions.

The call of the wild helmets really grew on me too. But I definitely am a big fan of the current ones

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom