Unfortunately I Will Not Be Attending Games This Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Unfortunately I Will Not Be Attending Games This Year

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Danny, it’s difficult to contemplate a season of UConn WBB without the Huskies best known and most recognizable fan in attendance. But our burden in your absence is nothing compared to the burden you now carry. I join the rest of the BY in letting you know how much you will be missed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Danny, my heart goes out to you. Thanks for taking the time to share with us in an honest and vulnerable way. Of course we'll miss your photos, which have always been a highlight and a treat. But most of all, it's your great spirit that's valued.

One of the greatest difficulties in being a caretaker, I've realized, is learning how to take care of yourself in the process. Sounds like you're on that journey. I urge you to continue practicing proactive self-care. Sending you all the best wishes.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Hang in there Danny, I've been there myself, first with my grandfather in 73, then my father in 2004. In 73 I was young and didn't understand the challenges, but with my father the challenges were still there, but the knowledge of Alzheimer's was much improved. As you can see your fellow BY's will miss you and your photos and that our prayers are with you and your family.

Reaction Score
Hang in there Danny, I've been there myself, first with my grandfather in 73, then my father in 2004. In 73 I was young and didn't understand the challenges, but with my father the challenges were still there, but the knowledge of Alzheimer's was much improved. As you can see your fellow BY's will miss you and your photos and that our prayers are with you and your family.
Danny you don’t know us but we have greatly enjoyed watching you over the years.
You have brightened the lives of many more people than you can possibly realize.
Thank you and sincere best wishes
Ron and Vida

Reaction Score
This year my mom’s has been in and out of the hospital for infections and heart issues and found out a couple months ago she has Alzheimer’s. It’s hard enough to work and try to take care of her but I’m doing my best and I am choosing not to travel all around to go to Uconn games. Thank you for enjoying my photos from the games over the many years. It was so amazing to meet so many UConn fans from all over. Taking care of a parent is hard and can be depressing. I stopped taking care of myself and was depressed until two months ago. I now have a German Shepard puppy and went from depressed to having my face hurt from smiling so much. I now have more patience. It is going to be a different experience watching the games on tv at home instead of being there live but family comes first and with my puppy (Scout named after a character from To Kill A Mocking Bird---My First choice was Vader but got vetoed.) we will watch every game and it will still be fun. I have so many awesome memories since the first game I went to back in 2001 and will be thinking of them when watching this year and probably appreciating them more. Go UConn View attachment 47659
Sorry Danny. Thank you so much for all the fine picture. As one in and out myself no Alzheimers yet but no one ever knows you have my sympathies. The trip you are on is a tough one.
God bless you, and i thank you for taking care of MOM. Too many don't. Remember in this time YOU too need care and rest and mentally to be taken from your burden. So be selfish at times, you'll need it. No guilt trip please you are doing all you can do. God bless and care for Mom And you.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Danny I was lucky enough to meet you at last years Tournament at Mohegan sun. Hang in there and best wishes for you to handle this difficult task.

Reaction Score
So, you know Sarg Danny needs support and help ans away time from his charge. Too easy to feel the guilt I hope he knows it is not his guilt --he is doing all he can--no one can expect more. Probably the lessons you learned twice. Your courage got you through. I thank you too for caring for Dad and Grand dad--you know they would if the disease didn't take that away from them. God bless you to Sarge. It's tough road.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Good luck to you and your family,Danny. We will miss you greatly. And bless all of you who have struggled to care for family and maintain so many families are or will soon face these dilemmas, and each experience is both stressful and rewarding all at once. Your young canine addition will help with the task.

Reaction Score
Danny, whenever I caught a glimpse of you on tv I would shout out “there’s Danny.” My wife or whoever happened to be around would ask if you were a friend and I would answer “yes, one of my boneyard pals.” Your wonderful pictures and stories of your travels were BY highlights. I know you will continue to enjoy the team and hope you will remain an active participant on the BY. I wish you and your family all the best.

Reaction Score
This year my mom’s has been in and out of the hospital for infections and heart issues and found out a couple months ago she has Alzheimer’s. It’s hard enough to work and try to take care of her but I’m doing my best and I am choosing not to travel all around to go to Uconn games. Thank you for enjoying my photos from the games over the many years. It was so amazing to meet so many UConn fans from all over. Taking care of a parent is hard and can be depressing. I stopped taking care of myself and was depressed until two months ago. I now have a German Shepard puppy and went from depressed to having my face hurt from smiling so much. I now have more patience. It is going to be a different experience watching the games on tv at home instead of being there live but family comes first and with my puppy (Scout named after a character from To Kill A Mocking Bird---My First choice was Vader but got vetoed.) we will watch every game and it will still be fun. I have so many awesome memories since the first game I went to back in 2001 and will be thinking of them when watching this year and probably appreciating them more. Go UConn View attachment 47659

Reaction Score
Good thoughts for your mom Danny. Also for the rest of your family and you! I have been battling infections and kidney disease the last year and right now I am in rehab for my left foot after 5 surgeries and reconstruction into a size 7 from a 13. Thoughts and prayers Mr. Cheerman!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I went through that with my mom and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So sorry to hear of your Mom, my Mom died a few years ago after having Alzheimer's for a couple of years. Of course, Mom was 97 when she died and will into her 90's before she had symptoms; I feel so very, very sorry to hear of so many so much younger - my veterinarian just died at age 59 - a particularly fast moving manifestation of the disease, less than a year from "noticeable symptoms" and maybe 8 months from diagnosis.

I do want to share 3 things that we realized:
- We did everything we could ourselves, then hired a part time caregiver for what we couldn't do. Not everyone has a gift for providing all the personal care that is needed.
- Eventually, we moved Mom to a small private care facility that took really good care of about 10 women at a time, all with dementia / Alzheimer's. We could no longer care for her safely - perhaps she could have remained home longer had she not been so frail (96 years old). There is no shame in ensuring that your loved one has the best care possible, even when you cannot personally provide it.
- And most sadly, those illnesses cause you to feel like you lose your loved one twice - once when their mind deteriorates to the point that they no longer know who they are and again when the end finally comes.

As someone said above, I would not wish this horrible illness on anyone or anyone's loved ones. Prayers for you.

Reaction Score
Our prayers are with you. You will be missed in Greenville, NC this year. We'll give the shout for you.

Reaction Score
I hope you enjoy a good hike with Scout every day, and that the Huskies give you a great season to cheer for!
Very best wishes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Danny, I am very sorry to hear about your mom’s illness. I prayed for both of you. Please keep in mind that you need to take care of yourself catch to be an effective caretaker for her. Find ways to give yourself a breaks you need. Scout is a great beginning.

I will miss your pictures. I looked forward to them after the games. Please know you are in all of our thoughts.

Reaction Score
Thanks so much for the great pics that contributed so much added pleasure to the UConn wcbb experience. I went through much of what you're experiencing with an aging mother (she died at 98). May you find the strength to persevere in this difficult task. Perhaps one day you'll be back to your old tricks. Hope so.

Reaction Score
I am so sorry, Danny. We will miss seeing you on TV and your beautiful photos. Take care.

mmt

Reaction Score
Danny, thanks for all your pix and cheers. You will always be part of the Husky family!

Reaction Score
You're doing the right thing.

You've brought a lot of smiles to a lot of people.

I got a dog about a year ago and it has helped me in so many ways.

I'm sure you'll be alright. Best wishes.

Reaction Score
Hey Danny, best wishes to you and your Mom!
I now watch our Huskies from home, so I'll miss seeing you at the games but you're doing the right thing for your family!
Take care of your Mom and yourself!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
We'll miss you and your photos, Danny. Best wishes to you and the members of your family.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom