Unfortunately I Will Not Be Attending Games This Year | The Boneyard

Unfortunately I Will Not Be Attending Games This Year

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
This year my mom’s has been in and out of the hospital for infections and heart issues and found out a couple months ago she has Alzheimer’s. It’s hard enough to work and try to take care of her but I’m doing my best and I am choosing not to travel all around to go to Uconn games. Thank you for enjoying my photos from the games over the many years. It was so amazing to meet so many UConn fans from all over. Taking care of a parent is hard and can be depressing. I stopped taking care of myself and was depressed until two months ago. I now have a German Shepard puppy and went from depressed to having my face hurt from smiling so much. I now have more patience. It is going to be a different experience watching the games on tv at home instead of being there live but family comes first and with my puppy (Scout named after a character from To Kill A Mocking Bird---My First choice was Vader but got vetoed.) we will watch every game and it will still be fun. I have so many awesome memories since the first game I went to back in 2001 and will be thinking of them when watching this year and probably appreciating them more. Go UConn
74374377_2708499149208328_2582571329802731520_o.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Danny,
Take better care of yourself buddy. You have to be there for your mom, the rest of the family and Scout. We'll miss you & I'll be thinking of you when I swing by the owl cage at Mcgonagall on the 17th.
Take care and God Bless.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've been there Danny and I know what a responsibility it is to have a job and take care of a loved one. Those are your priorities. Just remember during the hard times, and they will come, we at the BY have your back. You've been there for us, it's the least we can do.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hi Danny. Prayers for you and your family. Family always comes first. Do what you have to do. Perhaps another UConn regular will fill in for you until your return. Like those of us that can’t attend the games In person, you can join us as we are there in spirit for every game.

May blessings and favor descend on your home and family, and may your cup overflow. Thanks for sharing with us. We would have wondered where you were.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geez, Danny, I'm sorry to hear this. Not only have I enjoyed your photos, I always enjoy seeing you and your distinctive headwear on the broadcasts.

Please take care of yourself, for your sake AND your mother's sake, and remember we're all pulling for you. As with you, Jordy, and too many others, I'm in a similar boat. It sucks.

Reaction Score
This year my mom’s has been in and out of the hospital for infections and heart issues and found out a couple months ago she has Alzheimer’s. It’s hard enough to work and try to take care of her but I’m doing my best and I am choosing not to travel all around to go to Uconn games. Thank you for enjoying my photos from the games over the many years. It was so amazing to meet so many UConn fans from all over. Taking care of a parent is hard and can be depressing. I stopped taking care of myself and was depressed until two months ago. I now have a German Shepard puppy and went from depressed to having my face hurt from smiling so much. I now have more patience. It is going to be a different experience watching the games on tv at home instead of being there live but family comes first and with my puppy (Scout named after a character from To Kill A Mocking Bird---My First choice was Vader but got vetoed.) we will watch every game and it will still be fun. I have so many awesome memories since the first game I went to back in 2001 and will be thinking of them when watching this year and probably appreciating them more. Go UConn View attachment 47659
,Good luck to you and mom, Danny. The games most assuredly will not be the same !!

Reaction Score
Danny, It was great meeting you last year at the wear pink game!... I loved seeing your superb photos of the games, made me feel like I was there.

I Wish You and Family the very best through this Danny. I have been through it (or similar) 4 times myself... [Mom with Alzheimer's, Dad and Dad-in-Law with terminal cancer and Mom-in-law with congestive Heart Failure]. It's not easy, but to be able to be there And to help them through the process is a blessing. It takes a special person to make the sacrifices necessary during this time, You will be thankful you did.

Prayers

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear of your mom's medical challenges...prayers and thoughts to you and your family that God will give you the strength and grace to make your mom as comfortable as you can as she moves through these difficult time.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I took care of my Mom for 3 1/2 years under our roof near the start of our marriage, am now caring for my wife for going on ten years and have been a student of brain health for awhile. Caregivers are six times more likely to get dementia themselves, but this does not have to happen. I probably can help if you want to establish a dialogue. Let me know.

One piece of advice for BYers who know you and may come in contact with you. Supporting you through encouragement and offering their service in any way is more important than commiserating.

Reaction Score
Danny, sorry to hear about what's going on with your mom and yourself. Hang in there, do what you can for your mom.

Now you will finally experience what most of us do on game days/nights...I'm expecting your first thread to read..."How can I watch the UConn games and will SNY or ESPN3 carry it"? :rolleyes:

Again, hang tough Danny.

Reaction Score
Danny, what can I say that hasn't already been said. I echo all of the comments, as I also have walked that path. My Mom passed in 2001 after 8 years with that disease. My best advice is to make it as fun as possible at all times and damn the stress. When I finally gave up on needing to always get everything correct and proper for her I finally capitulated to her every wish as long it wasn't a safety issue, I ended up joyfully helping her pour ketchup and mustard on her morning toast as she insisted that's the way she likes it. It all goes by faster than you think. When you look back years from now you'll be glad you participated in the silly stuff with her.

Also, while watching the games, maybe you can perfect a new type of photography with all of the fancy equipment you have. Action TV photos! I can wait till you start posting them. Take care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom