Underrated US Cities | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Underrated US Cities

Reaction Score
Isn't Fargo a bit chilly at times?
Yes, especially with those plain winds.

I prefer cooler weather, but even at 60 degrees, I was tailgating for the Bison game with my winter coat on. No wonder they play in a dome.

Reaction Score
Fargo is flat and windy but they have Shakey's Pizza where you can throw peanut shells on the floor.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes, but that's still a 4 day a week commute, anyway you cut it. What impressed me about this is that so many people in one dept. selected the same options. When I was down in UCSD for a couple weeks, we drove to LA for informal cultural events 4 times. This didn't phase me because I knew SoCal commutes are notorious, but I once commuted daily between Rochester and Buffalo, and every week between Ann Arbor and Rochester.
Again for curiosity without argument, are these people concentrated in Humanities, Social Sciences, STEM, or Professional schools.

Here, I'm asking because the New Haven people I had in mind were in Law, Education, Sociology, and Fine Arts, and the only person I ever knew who was at UCSD was a college suitemate who did post-doc training in his medical specialty back when UCSD was much younger and more science/research-focused, which I believe has been balanced over time.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that someone hasn't chimed-in by now to declare that all cities are overrated, and the bigger they are, the worse they are.. As one who's become accustomed to lots of in-between out here in the geat unbridled west and who dreads the traffic, crowds, clutter, noise, crappy billboards, littering, and pollution in places like Denver, I much prefer the wide open spaces. There's something to be said for sweeping vistas, bird song, sparkling waters, clean air, and blue skies. Town is for medical appointments, shopping (though Amazon and other on-line vendors are mighty handy), and enjoying a restaurant or movie from time to time.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that someone hasn't chimed-in by now to declare that all cities are overrated, and the bigger they are, the worse they are.. As one who's become accustomed to lots of in-between out here in the geat unbridled west and who dreads the traffic, crowds, clutter, noise, crappy billboards, littering, and pollution in places like Denver, I much prefer the wide open spaces. There's something to be said for sweeping vistas, bird song, sparkling waters, clean air, and blue skies. Town is for medical appointments, shopping (though Amazon and other on-line vendors are mighty handy), and enjoying a restaurant or movie from time to time.

This can go in the "most underrated wide open spaces with nothing going on" thread, but presumably people are going to discuss cities in a thread about cities.

Reaction Score
Fargo is flat and windy but they have Shakey's Pizza where you can throw peanut shells on the floor.
Peanut shell throwing on the floor, was standard fare at Ground Round, a bygone staple of years past in CT.

Used to have a weekly singalong at the one in New Haven at Long Wharf. Real band and pretty good musicians. Not rock music, but like songs from the 20's or before that.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
When I was at UConn I believe there were one or two direct flights to Pittsburgh a day through Southwest, but I usually opted for Independence Air which connected thru Dulles or Philly and was much cheaper. It’s definitely not an easy trip anymore.
When I went to Pitt I drove (from Hartford). Took about 8 hours. Easy drive. My rule is if it’s within a 10/12 hour drive, I drive. Otherwise, I fly.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I noticed that Nashville hasn't appeared on this list. I expected it might, but maybe it isn't underrated but properly highly rated. I have not been, but just booked flights last Friday to go down in late September with another couple. Kicking off our quasi empty-nest life.
Nashville is given its due. Definitely not under-rated. Have fun!

Reaction Score
Went to Gatlinburg TN, and my mind was blown. Its a vacation destination but its like a mini Las Vegas without the riff-raff and the over the top showiness.

Its practically in the Smokey Mountains, so there's hiking picnicking and fishing for those who like the outdoors.

The entertainment (rides, shops, museums, restaurants, stores, etc,) will meet any family need or wants. Pigeon Ford is nearby where Dolly Parton's big amusement park is, also plays, musicals and other attractions sit.

Too numerous to name, and its not really a City but a location/destination. Its family oriented, but couples certainly will enjoy themselves.

We rented a car (one way) and drove down from CT then flew back out of Nashville. That's my wife and I preferred travel for long distance. Trip seems shorter going and always seems longer returning. The plane solves that.

Amway that area is very underrated when compared to other amusement destinations (e.g. Orlando).

Gatlinburg Snippet

Pidgeon Ford Snippet

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
When I went to Pitt I drove (from Hartford). Took about 8 hours. Easy drive. My rule is if it’s within a 10/12 hour drive, I drive. Otherwise, I fly.

I despised that drive, so you’re a better person than I am. I80 across PA is torture, but once you hit Wilkes-Barre and get into NY and then CT, it was pretty easy.

Reaction Score
I despised that drive, so you’re a better person than I am. I80 across PA is torture, but once you hit Wilkes-Barre and get into NY and then CT, it was pretty easy.
I've probably done it a dozen times from Chicago to CT. And the I-80 part across PA sucks less than the I-90 part across Ohio and Indiana, just a miserable drive. At least the PA part has a little scenery driving through the mountains.

Reaction Score
I've probably done it a dozen times from Chicago to CT. And the I-80 part across PA sucks less than the I-90 part across Ohio and Indiana, just a miserable drive. At least the PA part has a little scenery driving through the mountains.

I’d do the the drive from Chicago to CT 10 times for every one time I would have to make the drive from Chicago to St Louis.

That’s the worst.

Reaction Score
I’d do the the drive from Chicago to CT 10 times for every one time I would have to make the drive from Chicago to St Louis.

That’s the worst.
Never done it but that drive is just under 5 hours as opposed to just under 14 hours. How bad could it be?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've driven across the country several times, hitting every highway from 10 up to 90. Driving across Pennsylvania is the worst imo, because it always takes longer than you think it's going to take, and you don't feel like you're truly on the road and out of the east until you get to the other side. It's disappointing when the sun is going down and you still aren't through the state.

Similarly, when you're on your way home, you don't feel like you're within range until you hit Pennsylvania, but then next thing you know you're looking for a motel or a place to pull over because you can't get through the damned state.

Reaction Score
I've driven across the country several times, hitting every highway from 10 up to 90. Driving across Pennsylvania is the worst imo, because it always takes longer than you think it's going to take, and you don't feel like you're truly on the road and out of the east until you get to the other side. It's disappointing when the sun is going down and you still aren't through the state.

Similarly, when you're on your way home, you don't feel like you're within range until you hit Pennsylvania, but then next thing you know you're looking for a motel or a place to pull over because you can't get through the damned state.
Yep, I've only driven it once - on the trip from CT to Morgantown WV for 1988 NIT game. Based on that drive alone it will forever be known as the Pennsylvania fruck pike to me.

Reaction Score
Didn't know craft beers made a spot better, Denver has several. Also tons of public parks everywhere-

Reaction Score

It's sucks but I'll take driving through the mountains of PA. or the Smokies over driving through never-ending fields.

Reaction Score
It's sucks but I'll take driving through the mountains of PA. or the Smokies over driving through never-ending fields.

Yeah I started to lose my mind somewhere in Nebraska. Texas blows too. You can drive as fast as you want but it seems like the state goes on forever.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah I started to lose my mind somewhere in Nebraska. Texas blows too. You can drive as fast as you want but it seems like the state goes on forever.
I remember getting out the road atlas (remember those?!?) in Nevada and chuckling with my buddy because the state-specific map had the same level of detail as the entire country map. It seemed like there were three major roads in the entire state and a whole lot of nothing in between.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score

I-80 through Nebraska/Iowa/midwest in general is the worst. And of course I always seem to need a fill up in Gary, Indiana. But hey, at least I've never broken down there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Back when we did our loop of America, we lost time in New Orleans. We weren't ready to start driving until noon or so and we only made it as far as Houston. The next day was brutal. We punched our rental K-car for all it was worth and only made as far as Van Horn before we (not the vehicle) ran out of gas.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I once did most of both in a Honda Prelude while driving to law school. Stopped outside of Columbus. My knee was the size of a grapefruit. Never again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom