Underrated US Cities | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Underrated US Cities

Reaction Score
wasnt there a Coaches in Stamford as well back in the 90s at some point? I cant recall where it was located but remember going there a few times.
Was in a space now occupied by Safavieh Rugs... who recently purchased the entire Stamford Town Center mall for $20 million.

Reaction Score
It shut this winter due to the pandemic. Tight confines and limited capacity were a problem. But it promised to open this spring/summer. It's still the best beer bar I've been to outside of Waterbury, VT and the food is terrific too. I'm hoping they can open again soon.
Most reliable Hill Farmstead taps south of the VT border and always has 3 Fonteinen bottles. Going up there next week to celebrate their reopening.

Reaction Score
Most reliable Hill Farmstead taps south of the VT border and always has 3 Fonteinen bottles. Going up there next week to celebrate their reopening.
I've been told that there are only 2 places outside of VT to get their beer. One is Armsby Abbey and the other is at some bar in New York City (forgot the name). The owners of Armsby Abbey are friends with the owners of Hill Farmstead and that's the only reason they have a pipeline to the brewery.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Two options, all involve not persisting with the idea that it can be saved.

1) Wait for everyone to move and then turn it into an empty field and try again in 200 years.

2) Get a time machine. Go back in time and establish the main UConn campus in Hartford on the banks of the river. Boom. Classic New England college town.

There was a chance to make that move in the mid-90's. The state should have started building up UConn Hartford in the 90's with the goal of eventually moving the main campus there, rather than do UConn 2000 in 1996 (?). I was at an after work event about 18 years ago and was told that several people at the state briefly evaluated doing just that because they could see where Hartford was headed and that the NIMBY problem in eastern Connecticut was not going to get better. It didn't take a crystal ball in 1994 to figure both those things out.

There was not a lot of support for something that dramatic, so the proponents dropped the issue.

Reaction Score
Back when I was in coffee, I visited with the guys from Alterra (before they sold to Mars). The old pumphouse that they converted into a coffeehouse (with balcony seating) was the most uniquely designed and situated coffeehouse I'd ever visited.

Oddly, my 2nd wife's parents lived in Cedarburg, so I was up there quite a bit. But they never wanted to go "to the city" despite much prodding. Wife's stepdad was a columnist for the Sentinel and still, he'd rather take us on rides to places where he wanted to buy a tree farm than go downtown. We never went out to eat on any visit. I, OTOH, took him straight to Pepe's for a white clam pizza when he visited. Blew his mind.

You forgot to mention that the lake water is really freaking cold even in summer.

That really is a unique place, and still open. Not only as a coffee shop, but as a pumping station for the city!

Coincidentally, I actually live in Cedarburg. I think I even know who you're talking about if he's now retired? The thing about Cedarburg is since they have that whole Hallmark movie city thing and being sort of a touristy day drive/road trip destination thing going on you have a certain population that was born, raised, and lived there forever that has become somewhat... ummm... provincial we'll call them. If this group finds out you moved from Milwaukee, they'll assume you're part of what is ruining the charm of the city. I'm surprised they didn't at least take you out to eat IN Cedarburg... there's a few REALLY good restaurants. But again, if your in-laws are like the rest of this group, their minds would probably be blown by many places outside their bubble.

Also, I didn't forget the lake temps... ;) Just kidding, I meant to mention it. Most summers though you'll at least get a good second half of the season where it's not bad. lol

Reaction Score
The weather isn't bad. Not remotely.

The center of the country is not a feature - unless you love getting on a plane to do something for a weekend. Nobody here's talking about where to locate a business along interstate transit hubs or planning a convention. The location sucks - from someone that lived there. Goodness, people in KC will say the location sucks.

Goodness, you’re out of touch. There are tons of businesses moving here.

The weather is awful. Frigidly cold in the winter. Balls sweaty hot in the summer with high humidity. With the wind it’s like living in a hot humid blow dryer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There was a chance to make that move in the mid-90's. The state should have started building up UConn Hartford in the 90's with the goal of eventually moving the main campus there, rather than do UConn 2000 in 1996 (?). I was at an after work event about 18 years ago and was told that several people at the state briefly evaluated doing just that because they could see where Hartford was headed and that the NIMBY problem in eastern Connecticut was not going to get better. It didn't take a crystal ball in 1994 to figure both those things out.

There was not a lot of support for something that dramatic, so the proponents dropped the issue.

Can you imagine the mutual benefit if the main campus was on the bank of the river?

We’re probably in the Big Ten by now and TripAdvisor is calling Hartford the #1 fall vacation destination.

(Maybe an exaggeration.)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Underrated:

New Haven

Chicago - didn't used to be underrated, but 13 years of getting trashed on Fox News has people thinking it is Baghdad when most of the city is really awesome.

Philadelphia - a lot nicer and higher end than its rep. Kind of expensive though.

Providence - I really like this city. I came somewhat close to moving there when I was younger. I often wonder what it would have been like.

Overrated:

Charlotte - Generica. You can drive around for 15 minutes in this city and not see anything distinctive about the place at all.

Atlanta - horrible crime in huge stretches of the city

Memphis - -hole and people are unbelievably racist. I have not been there in a few years, but I could not get out quick enough when I went.

Houston - sucks. Swampy, buggy sprawl with lousy food unless you are eating at fancy restaurants.

South Carolina - I haven't been there in over 15 years, but I was struck by how there is garbage everywhere. People don't think twice about throwing trash out their window, so you can be driving down an interstate in east bumblefart South Carolina and the side of the road is lined with trash.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine the mutual benefit if the main campus was on the bank of the river?

We’re probably in the Big Ten by now and TripAdvisor is calling Hartford the #1 fall vacation destination.

(Maybe an exaggeration.)

Location of the campus wouldn’t change the fact that New England hasn’t gave a crap about college football for over 50 years.

Reaction Score

(Maybe an exaggeration.)

We should’ve been a normal state filled with normal people who would’ve allowed Storrs to develop naturally into the college town it should have been

Reaction Score
Underrated:

New Haven

Chicago - didn't used to be underrated, but 13 years of getting trashed on Fox News has people thinking it is Baghdad when most of the city is really awesome.

Philadelphia - a lot nicer and higher end than its rep. Kind of expensive though.

Providence - I really like this city. I came somewhat close to moving there when I was younger. I often wonder what it would have been like.

Overrated:

Charlotte - Generica. You can drive around for 15 minutes in this city and not see anything distinctive about the place at all.

Atlanta - horrible crime in huge stretches of the city

Memphis - -hole and people are unbelievably racist. I have not been there in a few years, but I could not get out quick enough when I went.

Houston - sucks. Swampy, buggy sprawl with lousy food unless you are eating at fancy restaurants.

South Carolina - I haven't been there in over 15 years, but I was struck by how there is garbage everywhere. People don't think twice about throwing trash out their window, so you can be driving down an interstate in east bumblefart South Carolina and the side of the road is lined with trash.

I agree with enough of this but I have never really seen or heard pumping up Memphis.

I had 4 years there and that was quite enough.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We should’ve been a normal state filled with normal people who would’ve allowed Storrs to develop naturally into the college town it should have been

Ha! Fool!

Just imagine a world where UConn is a short clip down the road from Bradley and right off two major highways. And where some fruitcake in a sweater she knitted herself from flea-market yarn doesn’t have veto power every time UConn wants to build a supply shed.

Reaction Score

Yeah. Literally anywhere else in the country it’s considered somewhat impressive to attend and graduate the flagship state U. Connecticut didn’t really start giving UConn some TLC until recently.

Reaction Score
Ha! Fool!

Just imagine a world where UConn is a short clip down the road from Bradley and right off two major highways. And where some fruitcake in a sweater she knitted herself from flea-market yarn doesn’t have veto power every time UConn wants to build a supply shed.

yes, I was talking about an alternate universe where people in CT behaved similarly towards their state flagship U like nearly everyone else in the entire rest of the country

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

(Maybe an exaggeration.)

UConn would be a Top 50 school academically, maybe higher, if the main campus was in Hartford. It would not have been that hard to do. Start with moving the business program to Hartford. Kids would do first two years in Storrs, then go to school in Hartford with dorms. We would have attracted better professors and better students, and corporate recruiting would have been much, much better. Then move education, followed by the sciences, and the school of liberal arts. Leave Storrs open as a regional campus, ultimately combining it with Eastern.

They could have closed dorms in Storrs, and not build another structure out there. Spend a little money to return some of the dorms that existed to their more natural state by tearing them down and carting them off. Wipe out South Campus and Alumni, and probably Frats. Then the -heads that call the Mansfield police every time a kid turns his stereo volume above 4 would be happy in their peace and quiet, in their 2500 sq. ft ranch worth $75,000.

Do you think Hartford residents would give a if a bunch of kids were partying? Heck, kids could be burning coaches on Albany Avenue after every basketball win for all the residents care. The locals call that "a Tuesday".

The state could have done the whole thing in 10 years, and saved Hartford.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Goodness, you’re out of touch. There are tons of businesses moving here.

The weather is awful. Frigidly cold in the winter. Balls sweaty hot in the summer with high humidity. With the wind it’s like living in a hot humid blow dryer.

Don't forget the hail and tornados. I will say I appreciated the "Indian Summer" (can we still say that?) and early spring. It warms up faster and cools down more slowly than New England. Winter is cold, but short. Much less snow. High summer certainly a bit warm, but no worse than every place south and directly east of there.

Reaction Score
Was in a space now occupied by Safavieh Rugs... who recently purchased the entire Stamford Town Center mall for $20 million.

what they plan on doing with it? Never understood why Norwalk built a huge mall in arguably some of the worst sections of 95 traffic, when malls are becoming a thing of the past.

Reaction Score
In terms of helping Hartford, it would have probably been enough to put, you know, the University of Hartford in the city itself as opposed to some other town not named Hartford. Between that and Trinity you could have the makings of a decent small college city.

Reaction Score
Maybe not qualifying as underrated but the Tampa Bay Area including St Pete is really really nice. Great diversity across the city, great weather, lots of fun outdoorsy things to do, top tier beaches, good food options, fun bar and brewery scene. TPA is a large enough airport to get anywhere in the US and a few European cities.

Also, I’ll hope on the Hartford area/Central CT bandwagon. I didn’t realize how much of a homer I was until I moved around a lot 2017-2019. Not many places you can live in the US that you can comfortably hike in the mountains in the morning then spend the afternoon-evening at the beach. 2 hrs to Boston, NY, and VT also. It’s hard to beat geographically.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That really is a unique place, and still open. Not only as a coffee shop, but as a pumping station for the city!

Coincidentally, I actually live in Cedarburg. I think I even know who you're talking about if he's now retired? The thing about Cedarburg is since they have that whole Hallmark movie city thing and being sort of a touristy day drive/road trip destination thing going on you have a certain population that was born, raised, and lived there forever that has become somewhat... ummm... provincial we'll call them. If this group finds out you moved from Milwaukee, they'll assume you're part of what is ruining the charm of the city. I'm surprised they didn't at least take you out to eat IN Cedarburg... there's a few REALLY good restaurants. But again, if your in-laws are like the rest of this group, their minds would probably be blown by many places outside their bubble.

Also, I didn't forget the lake temps... ;) Just kidding, I meant to mention it. Most summers though you'll at least get a good second half of the season where it's not bad. lol
To be fair, they did take us out for custard a couple times.

Yeah, the guy I was referring to is retired, and has been for a good 25 years now. I enjoyed him. Definitely had that world-weary old newspaper guy air about him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There are a million reasons to not like Houston. Food isn't one of them, IMO, unless you really hate SE Asian in addition to BBQ.

I don’t care for Houston, but yeah, the food is amazing.

You can go to a strip mall and get an amazing Asian meal just about anywhere there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom