Undefeated or Not | The Boneyard

Undefeated or Not

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im sure this will create alot of controversy. Is UConn that good? I think so, if healthy and if those coming back from injuries are playing up to their capabilities I dont think any team can keep up with UConns scoring. With all those scorers its almost like one pass and shoot and its good. That would be nice no turnovers or rebounds to worry about. LOL UConn has the ability to score in bunches and very quickly. No other team can do that. UConn has scorers, and shooters and depth in both. They have multiply ball handlers, and point guards. This is a team IMO that can only loose if they beat themselves. I say that because shooting at a high percentage will not be a problem.

Opponents will have a problem and its a huge problem trying to stop UConn. This roster could be one of the greatest rosters UConn has ever had. When you look at UConns undefeated teams they had multiple scorers and AA's. So does this team. When you have shooters and ball handlers like this team has, you know your going to be shooting at a very high percentage which means less rebounds and less turnovers. Think about the players who will be on the floor that can create their own shot? Picture having Caroline Aaliyah Azzi and Paige on the floor together. Is there a team that can stop them from scoring. Maybe not even slowing them down. Now add some others like Ice and KK.

The teams that Ive read about in many threads mention LSU SC UCLA Utah and Iowa as other top teams. These teams can not defend UConn well enough to keep them from scoring and score enough themselves to outscore UConn. These are all legit top teams and all have flaws in their scoring. They dont have what UConn has. Now with that said I also can see UConn winning every or almost every game by double digits. They may not however the potential is there. We saw in Paiges freshman year what she can do. We saw last season without Paige what Azzi can do. We saw Aaliyah as an AA and Caroline when so many of her team mates were injured take over a game. Now they are all together on the floor at the same time. Ain't that somethin to worry about if your playin UConn.

This years version of UConn has 3 to 5 AAs who can take over a game and imo a player in Paige that WCBB hasnt seen since Diana. Diana did not have the team mates that Paige has. Diana made everybody playing with her better. Paige has better players who she will make better. She can take over games and breeds confidence when playing and thats contagious. It boogles my mind when I hear UConn needs a big like 6'5 or above. There arent many over 6'4 out there that can impact a game on both sides of the ball. We have Edwards 6'3 ICE 6'3 and Yanna 6'2 all very good rebounders who take up space down low. Both Aaliyah and Ice can shoot from the outside too.

Now I look at the other top teams. First we will see UCLA early on. So much talk about Betts height but at Stanford she saw very few minutes. I would have to think that is because she was not ready to play alot of meaningful minutes in Tara's eyes. Do you think she is ready now? I dont know we will have to wait and see however I think she will need alot of time to get up to speed with last season lost. Even without Betts UCLA is a very talented team.

Second SC has Cardoso who played behind Boston. Cardoso we saw at the Cuse and she is very good and very tall. She should be able to neutralize other opponents however she is foul prone and without Boston on the roster her backup will not be of that caliber.

LSU has a great team of scorers in Reese Morrow and Van Lith. They are all used to being the go to player. Reese and Morrow are not great outside shooters. Del Rosario @ 6'6 will take time to develop.
Iowas has Clark and she is fantastic. Can she do for Iowa what Diana did for UConn back in the day. That is make those around her better? If she does Iowa could be very competitive.

One team no one has talked about is Indiana. They have weapons and balance as does ND. ND needs to have a healthy proven point guard. Indiana could surprise alot of folks this season.

So lets hear from you and your thoughts. Im going with UConn as the team to beat and go undefeated if healthy and winning every/almost every game by double digits.

Reaction Score
Im sure this will create alot of controversy. Is UConn that good? I think so, if healthy and if those coming back from injuries are playing up to their capabilities I dont think any team can keep up with UConns scoring. With all those scorers its almost like one pass and shoot and its good. That would be nice no turnovers or rebounds to worry about. LOL UConn has the ability to score in bunches and very quickly. No other team can do that. UConn has scorers, and shooters and depth in both. They have multiply ball handlers, and point guards. This is a team IMO that can only loose if they beat themselves. I say that because shooting at a high percentage will not be a problem.

Opponents will have a problem and its a huge problem trying to stop UConn. This roster could be one of the greatest rosters UConn has ever had. When you look at UConns undefeated teams they had multiple scorers and AA's. So does this team. When you have shooters and ball handlers like this team has, you know your going to be shooting at a very high percentage which means less rebounds and less turnovers. Think about the players who will be on the floor that can create their own shot? Picture having Caroline Aaliyah Azzi and Paige on the floor together. Is there a team that can stop them from scoring. Maybe not even slowing them down. Now add some others like Ice and KK.

The teams that Ive read about in many threads mention LSU SC UCLA Utah and Iowa as other top teams. These teams can not defend UConn well enough to keep them from scoring and score enough themselves to outscore UConn. These are all legit top teams and all have flaws in their scoring. They dont have what UConn has. Now with that said I also can see UConn winning every or almost every game by double digits. They may not however the potential is there. We saw in Paiges freshman year what she can do. We saw last season without Paige what Azzi can do. We saw Aaliyah as an AA and Caroline when so many of her team mates were injured take over a game. Now they are all together on the floor at the same time. Ain't that somethin to worry about if your playin UConn.

This years version of UConn has 3 to 5 AAs who can take over a game and imo a player in Paige that WCBB hasnt seen since Diana. Diana did not have the team mates that Paige has. Diana made everybody playing with her better. Paige has better players who she will make better. She can take over games and breeds confidence when playing and thats contagious. It boogles my mind when I hear UConn needs a big like 6'5 or above. There arent many over 6'4 out there that can impact a game on both sides of the ball. We have Edwards 6'3 ICE 6'3 and Yanna 6'2 all very good rebounders who take up space down low. Both Aaliyah and Ice can shoot from the outside too.

Now I look at the other top teams. First we will see UCLA early on. So much talk about Betts height but at Stanford she saw very few minutes. I would have to think that is because she was not ready to play alot of meaningful minutes in Tara's eyes. Do you think she is ready now? I dont know we will have to wait and see however I think she will need alot of time to get up to speed with last season lost. Even without Betts UCLA is a very talented team.

Second SC has Cardoso who played behind Boston. Cardoso we saw at the Cuse and she is very good and very tall. She should be able to neutralize other opponents however she is foul prone and without Boston on the roster her backup will not be of that caliber.

LSU has a great team of scorers in Reese Morrow and Van Lith. They are all used to being the go to player. Reese and Morrow are not great outside shooters. Del Rosario @ 6'6 will take time to develop.
Iowas has Clark and she is fantastic. Can she do for Iowa what Diana did for UConn back in the day. That is make those around her better? If she does Iowa could be very competitive.

One team no one has talked about is Indiana. They have weapons and balance as does ND. ND needs to have a healthy proven point guard. Indiana could surprise alot of folks this season.

So lets hear from you and your thoughts. Im going with UConn as the team to beat and go undefeated if healthy and winning every/almost every game by double digits.
Great analysis, and I agree in every point, but will add this to the mix. UConn has Geno and the other teams don't. If UConn stays generally healthy, no one should come close to them!

Reaction Score
I think you make some great points. This is definitely the most talented team that we've had in awhile, despite being unproven due to injuries. I do agree that it will be a lot harder to beat this team, but it just feels like the overall talent pool in WCBB has risen to the level where there is a lot less room for error in terms of performance. What I mean is that historically, some of those uber talented teams could get away with not playing their A-game even against other quality opponents because the level was just different. I don't think there is as much room now, relatively speaking, for that to happen. There isn't a team that I would pick over UCONN at this point, but these ladies are human and if they have a bad game and the other team plays lights out, that won't diminish my feelings they have as good a chance to win the national championship (or better) than anyone else.

LSU has talent but in addition to cohesion, I question how well they will be able to defend (Mulkey is usually solid there but there aren't a ton of great individual defenders). Even though they don't seem to be getting the same respect from the pollsters, I've seen many on here comment that they think South Carolina could be more dangerous and I agree. I do think it'll take them some time to figure stuff out offensively with all the new parts, but IMO teams won't be able to play them like they have in the past. Dawn will make sure they are right defensively too.

It's going to be a really fun season!

Reaction Score
Thanks, @Tonyc. I agree with you that the Huskies will be hard to defend. And we’ll also play tougher D than most teams.

As for SC, Kamila is going to have a great season and with PaoPao and Raven they’ll be tough.

LSU will be a tough team, but not a great one, I think. No better than second in the SEC, and maybe third if they can’t beat Tennessee. In the recent exhibition game you saw their crisp passing as they stomped a cupcake, but you also saw del Rosario unable to get up and down the floor. In real games, they will be a small team with few perimeter shooters.

UCLA will be interesting if Betts can perform. I think it’s unfair to judge her based only on playing time at Stanford. She was playing behind Brink having an AA year. If she can move her feet better than she did last season, and she gets plenty of minutes, she may have a great season.

VPI will be as good as they were last season. Aamoore will see to it.

Utah will be exactly as good as last season. They return everyone, but now their freshmen have another year of experience. And they have great team culture and spirit. They only lost to LSU on last second missed free throws. I doubt they’ll succumb so easily this time around. They have final four written all over them. And by the way, that squeaker loss to LSU says a lot about LSU’s vulnerability. They haven’t addressed any of the weaknesses Utah exposed in that game.

I expect Indiana will also be tough and will likely dominate Iowa in conference.

If Miles comes back well, ND will be a dominant team in the tournament. If not, they’ll struggle again.

None of these teams is better than UConn on paper (or really even close) and I expect it will play out that way in actual games, too. Paige Azzi Caroline Ashlynn and Qadence is just too much perimeter firepower. And I expect Aaliyah Ice Ayanna Aubrey (and Amari) will be enough to contain opposing frontcourts on defense and outscore them at the other end. With our perimeter shooters guaranteeing our bigs a clean lane they will be very hard to stop. Just consider what Aaliyah did to SCar last season with only one perimeter threat.

I have high hopes for this team.

Reaction Score
I think you make some great points. This is definitely the most talented team that we've had in awhile, despite being unproven due to injuries. I do agree that it will be a lot harder to beat this team, but it just feels like the overall talent pool in WCBB has risen to the level where there is a lot less room for error in terms of performance. What I mean is that historically, some of those uber talented teams could get away with not playing their A-game even against other quality opponents because the level was just different. I don't think there is as much room now, relatively speaking, for that to happen. There isn't a team that I would pick over UCONN at this point, but these ladies are human and if they have a bad game and the other team plays lights out, that won't diminish my feelings they have as good a chance to win the national championship (or better) than anyone else.

LSU has talent but in addition to cohesion, I question how well they will be able to defend (Mulkey is usually solid there but there aren't a ton of great individual defenders). Even though they don't seem to be getting the same respect from the pollsters, I've seen many on here comment that they think South Carolina could be more dangerous and I agree. I do think it'll take them some time to figure stuff out offensively with all the new parts, but IMO teams won't be able to play them like they have in the past. Dawn will make sure they are right defensively too.

It's going to be a really fun season!
Well said! I’m in complete agreement! I would just add that imo the real question, really the only one in my view, is whether we can have a completely healthy (aside from the usual bumps and bruises all teams face) season. If we do, it is difficult to see how we can fail to be a dominant team this season! Undefeated? I would not bet my house on it but I certainly be surprised at it either! It’ difficult for me to come up with a more talented team since 2000-2001 and on paper, this team surely surpasses even that one! The question I have for this team is not talent but rather their will and mental toughness. I know Paige has it but everyone else is a bit unknown. If they can follow Josey’s advice, we’ll be fine! (I hope this works)

Reaction Score
With the schedule they have and the question marks, I believe an unbeaten season is very unlikely with a realistic possibility of 1-3 losses. Having Geno helps, but if they don’t execute it doesn’t matter. ( See last season’s final game.) Finally, as stated by a previous poster, there are a number of very good players and teams in WCBB these days! Finally, talent alone seldom wins championships. Some luck is required. That component has not been in favor of the Huskies recently. Hopefully that will change. I really don’t care about going unbeaten. Just win the last game of the season.

Reaction Score
What Ive seen from everyone who commented is only half of the story. No one mentioned our killer defense. We've got the 2 time defensive player of the year in Nika just licking her chops cuz she wont have to conserve her energy and she can do what Nika does. Paige is not only the top scorer but isnt too shabby when it comes to defense herself. Add Aubrey, Aaiyah and possibly Ice and KK along with a bunch of other Huskies just itching to get some time and we have the whole package plus their backups.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
nice read tonyc. lots to consider. i agree the huskies can be awesome, and probably untouchable. lots of firepower.

i believe their best strength, however, will be on the other end of the court -- defense, team defense.

they have the personnel, and a large enough contingent. they typically have the discipline, communication, dedication and pride in that aspect of their game, and if they don't arrive with that, geno, his staff and huskies culture will assure they will learn it over the course of the season.

in addition to aubrey and nika, really good defensive players (for some reason ovelrlooked in this role) are liya and paige -- plus azzi (when healthy) is above average. yanna and amari could blossom at d and supposedly kk and ashlynn have plenty of promise.

you'll notice that a stifling defense can always be relied on to blunt even the best offense, and makes the winning difference when your own offense bogs down ... which the huskies, of course, likely won't suffer much this season.

the uconn d, however, will always come to the rescue if needed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If UCONN does not go undefeated and win a NC, I would be very surprised and extremely let down. I think one would really have to question the program (coaches/players/trainers) at that point.

If Bueckers and Fudd want to have any kind of legacy here, they gotta do it this year. (and next year really) Otherwise you can't really talk about them with Moore/DT/Stewart or even Charles/Bird/Jefferson etc.

Reaction Score
If UCONN does not go undefeated and win a NC, I would be very surprised and extremely let down. I think one would really have to question the program (coaches/players/trainers) at that point.

If Bueckers and Fudd want to have any kind of legacy here, they gotta do it this year. (and next year really) Otherwise you can't really talk about them with Moore/DT/Stewart or even Charles/Bird/Jefferson etc.
Your comparison point is valid--championships are the biggest resume builder. It is amazing how some anoint Paige as UConn's best player ever--without a single championship presently. I think you have to give today's players understanding though, in that they play in a WBB game that is much deeper and more talent laden than what UConn stars of the past faced... That's why it is unlikely that you will see an undefeated NC team nowadays...

Reaction Score

Well, I don't necessarily like it, but you are quite correct. Paige and Azzi cannot even be in the same conversation with UConn greats until they do the things that the greats have done. NPOTY is truly unique, but if that's all there is, it doesn't come close to getting Paige as the 4th on the Mt. Rushmore.

Reaction Score
Well, I don't necessarily like it, but you are quite correct. Paige and Azzi cannot even be in the same conversation with UConn greats until they do the things that the greats have done. NPOTY is truly unique, but if that's all there is, it doesn't come close to getting Paige as the 4th on the Mt. Rushmore.
Of course you’re right about the Mt. Rushmore aspect but I still say Paige is the best I’ve ever seen! Admittedly, not the best winner of championships but I’ve never seen better as an individual player.

Reaction Score

This team is very good and we have the best set of guards in the country. But i haven't heard any thing about Alfy. I don't think we are quite as good without her. She could of been our best big.

Reaction Score
My predictions:

• They suffer an early season non-conference loss
  • They run the table in the BE, albeit with a tough game or two with Creighton
  • They get to the FF

After that who knows

Over/under on losses? 2.5

Reaction Score

AS USUAL, I AGREE WITH YOU 200%. I had previously posted that Uconn would win the BE and then win NO12 NC. My reasoning being that we have 2 starting five's on the roster and a bench to back them up. I saw no-one with the devastating fire power or the relentless defense and finally , a bench that can be counted on another team, hence, an undefeated season and complete JOY in HUSKYLAND !!! I also stated that this could be Geno's best team ever, with no knock on Breanna and Co. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Well said! I’m in complete agreement! I would just add that imo the real question, really the only one in my view, is whether we can have a completely healthy (aside from the usual bumps and bruises all teams face) season. If we do, it is difficult to see how we can fail to be a dominant team this season! Undefeated? I would not bet my house on it but I certainly be surprised at it either! It’ difficult for me to come up with a more talented team since 2000-2001 and on paper, this team surely surpasses even that one! The question I have for this team is not talent but rather their will and mental toughness. I know Paige has it but everyone else is a bit unknown. If they can follow Josey’s advice, we’ll be fine! (I hope this works)

I consider you as one of the top poster on the Bone Yard, But, I didn't see Nika, Aaliyah, Aubrey,KK, Caroline or Ice in your post of the mental toughness and will . I believe the WHOLE team has the will and mental toughness to win it all. Especially Nika. Nika has enough for three players in her. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Your comparison point is valid--championships are the biggest resume builder. It is amazing how some anoint Paige as UConn's best player ever--without a single championship presently. I think you have to give today's players understanding though, in that they play in a WBB game that is much deeper and more talent laden than what UConn stars of the past faced... That's why it is unlikely that you will see an undefeated NC team nowadays...
That might just help this Edition of Huskies: "Say they won't!" and they will use that as fuel to pull the tough games out just to prove you wrong.

....so "say they won't!"

{I believe they will win, and win, and win.... all the way to the NC award presentation.... to the Huskies!!!}

Reaction Score
Of course you’re right about the Mt. Rushmore aspect but I still say Paige is the best I’ve ever seen! Admittedly, not the best winner of championships but I’ve never seen better as an individual player.
Maybe the best I've ever seen too. But if Paige has a good year, with no NC, and then goes to the W, her UConn career will be remembered as "woulda, coulda, shoulda". Not as one of the greats. On the other hand, 2 great seasons capped off with 2 NCs and we will begin to carve up that mountain.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say Clark is better. But, I wouldn't say Paige is better either. Both are amazing players. Both were POTYs. Both have beaten my team (a very good defense) with superlative efforts. . Clark's performance last year was no better than Paige's performance against us as a true freshman. Each has taken their team to the national championship game.

I think the argument as to who is better will last into the next decade in the wnba. Are both "generational?" Will they be the Bird/Magic of wbb (if that role is not already being filled by Stewie and A'Ja)? Would like to see them face off in the tournament do-or-die this year (in another bracket than us. :p.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom