"Uncoachable Christyn Williams" - I dislike the way it's mischaracterized | The Boneyard

"Uncoachable Christyn Williams" - I dislike the way it's mischaracterized

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's an article on ESPNW

UConn's Christyn Williams motivated by Geno Auriemma's 'uncoachable' comment, fuels Sweet 16 win

The article goes on to say "Christyn Williams was wounded by the remark, probably more than UConn women's basketball head coach Geno Auriemma intended. When he referred to Williams as being "uncoachable" last season, she took it to heart.

"I would say that was definitely a turning point because what player wants to be uncoachable
?"

I mean I suppose the comment is technically true - Geno did say it, but IIRC when he explained it to Christyn he said (more or less)

"The coaches tell you all the time to do something different on offense or defense to make you a better player. You do it for a few minutes, then revert back to doing it your way. That makes you uncoachable".

Usually "uncoachable" is reserved for wild players who don't listen, but moreover, who don't give a crap, and do whatever the heck they want. Geno was asked about it again today in the press conference. He went on to say "yeah i say that to all my players all the time". He's certainly not accusing his players of being primma donna attitude problems. Not sure why the writers want to make such a big deal out of it, but on the surface, they make it sound like he accused CW of having an attitude problem, or worse. It's just not true.

Christyn went on to say "I really just try my best to listen to every little thing that he was saying and to do it," Williams said. "Because Coach has coached for years and he knows what he's talking about. Look where I am now."

She gets it. It's called coaching, not attacking or demeaning a player, which it feels like the press wants to take it to a worse place than it belongs. Just my $.02...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Writers have to come up with new angles. Its nothing new...
It's new to everyone who has never read it before, and misinterprets how Geno meant it. That ESPN not only picked up the comment, but put it out there as the title of the article, is misleading and mis-characterizes how Geno meant it, and I find that unfortunate.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno commented in his presser. I say that to all my players 10 times a day.

But seriously, there must have been a very high level of frustration for both Geno and CW that sophomore year and even some parts of this season. Her talent is so high, it is frustrating when the player does not see the vision Geno sees.

Reaction Score
Geno commented in his presser. I say that to all my players 10 times a day.

But seriously, there must have been a very high level of frustration for both Geno and CW that sophomore year and even some parts of this season. Her talent is so high, it is frustrating when the player does not see the vision Geno sees.
See Houston, Charde for another example..

Reaction Score
Although I gave up on CW occasionally, Geno never gave up on her. He started her every game. They have been loyal to one another.

Reaction Score
Some of that reverting to previous patterns has to to with bad habits picked up and ingrained in high school. They have been doing it for so long that it is hard to break that pattern. They never had to change those habits because it worked for them at that level.

Reaction Score
Someone in the post game presser tried to start another one by questioning the "rude" behavior of Paige for tapping him on the butt after Anna's 2nd 3 and the resulting excitement. Geno blew him off with his response that it was an inside thing. Some people just have to try to stir up stuff to make a headline. They might just do a better job of that if they actually asked good questions instead of some of the dumb things I've heard or the preaching they do instead of actually asking much of anything.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There's an article on ESPNW

UConn's Christyn Williams motivated by Geno Auriemma's 'uncoachable' comment, fuels Sweet 16 win

The article goes on to say "Christyn Williams was wounded by the remark, probably more than UConn women's basketball head coach Geno Auriemma intended. When he referred to Williams as being "uncoachable" last season, she took it to heart.

"I would say that was definitely a turning point because what player wants to be uncoachable
?"

I mean I suppose the comment is technically true - Geno did say it, but IIRC when he explained it to Christyn he said (more or less)

"The coaches tell you all the time to do something different on offense or defense to make you a better player. You do it for a few minutes, then revert back to doing it your way. That makes you uncoachable".

Usually "uncoachable" is reserved for wild players who don't listen, but moreover, who don't give a crap, and do whatever the heck they want. Geno was asked about it again today in the press conference. He went on to say "yeah i say that to all my players all the time". He's certainly not accusing his players of being primma donna attitude problems. Not sure why the writers want to make such a big deal out of it, but on the surface, they make it sound like he accused CW of having an attitude problem, or worse. It's just not true.

Christyn went on to say "I really just try my best to listen to every little thing that he was saying and to do it," Williams said. "Because Coach has coached for years and he knows what he's talking about. Look where I am now."

She gets it. It's called coaching, not attacking or demeaning a player, which it feels like the press wants to take it to a worse place than it belongs. Just my $.02...
Would it be better if Geno had used words that resonated with Williams less and she had not improved?

Rather than bemoan what you feel was a questionable coaching choice, why not just celebrate Christyn’s success?

“Afterward, Williams could look back on what Auriemma said and smile.”

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ask all current and former Huskies who was told they can’t guard a chair by Geno.
No, "uncoachable" is different. That isn't a comment about some missing physical skill; it's a comment about her attitude. Or at least that's how it sounds to anyone who doesn't dive into the back story that Geno laid out at the postgame press conference.

What Geno explained is that until the middle of the current season, Christyn defined her value to the team as residing solely in her offense, and more specifically on whether her shot was falling. It took two and a half years for Geno to convince her that she could make a big contribution to the team's success in other ways, whether her shot was working or not. Specifically, he thought she could be a lockdown defender if she put her mind to it. In the latter half of the season, she took that to heart and worried more about defense than about her shot, and as a result she became BOTH a really good defender and a more reliable shooter. She also relaxed, knowing that she was still "earning her keep" for the team through her defense even if her shot deserted her.

So it wasn't an insolent or defiant attitude, even though "uncoachable" makes it sound that way. I think Geno regrets using that word, at least in public.

Reaction Score
Sometimes it is just better to WATCH, and not listen or read what others have to say.
Tough love is not something all can understand. But for many in coaching / parenting positions it's a no brainier. It is obvious so many as just team fans do not realize what takes place outside of the two hours they get to see the team on TV.
Coaches have to push buttons and bring out the best of the student athlete. This in their most developmental years of their lives both physically and mentally.
GE, CD and CW have come a ways and on a good run. I think there is a good understanding and love of what CW is bringing to the table. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno says things like that to get under their skin. But in Hoosiers coach let the kids choose the last play and they got a state championship. He knew when to let go.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Would it be better if Geno had used words that resonated with Williams less and she had not improved?

Rather than bemoan what you feel was a questionable coaching choice, why not just celebrate Christyn’s success?

“Afterward, Williams could look back on what Auriemma said and smile.”
Didja even bother to read my posts? I was criticizing the media for lazy reporting and putting his comment into the wrong context.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't watch the other teams. Do any of them have a player playing as well as Williams did yesterday, on both ends? It's great to see her hitting her stride in the big spot. She sounds great, too.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Truth be told CW had been underperforming since her wow game against ND. For whatever reasons she and we have been waiting for that player to reappear, 2 1\2 years later after what may have been the low point in her time at UCONN, a time many on the BY were posting about her demise and limited future on court. With the future looking bright for the team a very understandable position to take. A nightmare for her, a heartbreak for the fans and for the coaches a potential loss of a player with untapped potential.
Geno, CD, and the rest of the coaching staff never gave up on CW, even when it appeared Christyn may have given up on herself. After what may have been the worst game of her tenure, when many were calling for her benching, Geno once again started her, showed trust and confidence in her, challenging her to be the best she can be. What we all witnessed, the story of our very own Phoenix, from the ashes Christyn has emerged to be a player deserving the #1 recruit of her class distinction. A true scoring machine and so far the biggest lock down defender in the tourney. Will it continue? It won't take long to find out, if so unless someone takes over and completely dominates the tourney she is my pick for MVP.

Reaction Score
Although I gave up on CW occasionally, Geno never gave up on her. He started her every game. They have been loyal to one another.
Let’s been honest there is really nobody around ... more freshman to start up on the court? If you cannot coach a no. 1 recruit that you picked , then you are a bad coach :)

Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter what the press thinks or what anyone here thinks about the comment. It's only important how it struck CW, and it obviously hit her hard. And perhaps has been the reason for her improved play. I think it's also clear that Geno never lost confidence in her, unlike quite a few posters here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom