UNC/NC State could be out of ACC if NC lawmakers pass bill | The Boneyard

UNC/NC State could be out of ACC if NC lawmakers pass bill

Reaction Score
Genie-Point-and-Jaw-Drop-Alladin.gif

Reaction Score
The "bathroom bill" that recently passed already has made the ACC boycott effective..

(CNN)North Carolina lawmakers on Thursday passed a bill that repeals the state's controversial bathroom law in a move meant to end a year of tumult that saw businesses leave and major sporting events and concerts canceled.

But the last section of that anti boycott bill makes any leaving the ACC by a North Carolina institution effective when the assignment of media rights expire (in this case 2036). They would be giving 20 years notice. That would be a hoot...since the ACC bylaws say the ACC starts withholding money when a declaration of leaving is made,

OK..resign effective 2036...a lot will happen between now and then and some of us won't be around to see it.

Reaction Score
My guess is their moron legislators are not familiar with the "grant of rights" concept. I suspect that dies a quick death. Probably proposed by the representative from Mayberry.

Reaction Score
This is another stunt by the GOP dominated NC legislature. It really has zero chance of passing.

The NCAA is another "athletic organization" that could boycott NC.

Are they going to move NC and NC State out of the NCAA in that scenario?

Reaction Score
They recently elected a Democrat for Governor, in what I imagine is a Republican controlled legislature. Not to get too political, but it sounds like the only way this passes is if the legislature overrides a veto--and I'm not sure how big the Republican majority is at this point.

P.S. I hold a Poli Sci degree, I'm not Joe the Plumber. lol

Reaction Score
They recently elected a Democrat for Governor, in what I imagine is a Republican controlled legislature. Not to get too political, but it sounds like the only way this passes is if the legislature overrides a veto--and I'm not sure how big the Republican majority is at this point.

P.S. I hold a Poli Sci degree, I'm not Joe the Plumber. lol
The Democratic governor is extremely weak. They would easily override any veto. But I doubt this bill goes anywhere.

Reaction Score
No need for the bill to pass at this point...with the offending legislation already rescinded and thus the boycotts ended.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The bill will go nowhere.

It's not intended to become law - it's a tantrum by some lawmakers.

Reaction Score
Makes you wonder what crazy bill they plan to file next if this is the preemptive shot?

But yes, this bill is a publicity stunt that will go nowhere.

Reaction Score
Makes you wonder what crazy bill they plan to file next if this is the preemptive shot?

But yes, this bill is a publicity stunt that will go nowhere.

They don't have to file another bill.

They just demonstrated that the word "never" (as in, "when pigs fly") is overrated when it comes to conference realignment.

"Fortress ACC" isn't what we thought it was a few days ago.

-3759U.gif

Reaction Score
They don't have to file another bill.

They just demonstrated that the word "never" (as in, "when pigs fly") is overrated when it comes to conference realignment.

"Fortress ACC" isn't what we thought it was a few days ago.

-3759U.gif

I don't understand your post. It must be my fault. Can you elaborate?

Reaction Score
As Fishy said...this bill had nothing to do with the stability of the ACC but was a tantrum bill....it would not have passed because it was ill thought out.

I remember when a Florida legislator threatened with a spoof bill...that FSU could not schedule any program whose namesake is a member of the weasel family that has anal scent .

That was after Wisconsin stated they would boycott playing FSU until they dropped the Seminole name.

Reaction Score
As Fishy said...this bill had nothing to do with the stability of the ACC but was a tantrum bill....it would not have passed because it was ill thought out.

I remember when a Florida legislator threatened with a spoof bill...that FSU could not schedule any program whose namesake is a member of the weasel family that has anal scent .

That was after Wisconsin stated they would boycott playing FSU until they dropped the Seminole name.

There's been a movement in Wisconsin schools to ban any logos or clothing that depicts a negative stereotype of American Indian culture. I wasn't aware that it carried over to opponents' mascots but I suppose people get caught up in such things.

Ok, so if you guys say there's no smoke or fire in North Carolina I'll shut up. I was just whimsically saying that something like that coming out of North Carolina is something I never thought I would see.

Reaction Score

Next up: North Carolina lawmakers introduced legislation that would outlaw same-sex marriage, despite the U.S. Supreme Court decision from 2015. I can just imagine another boycott coming if that ever passed.

Reaction Score
Buried...

"
“There are strong constitutional concerns with this legislation given that the U.S. Supreme Court has firmly ruled on the issue, therefore House Bill 780 will be referred to the House Rules Committee and will not be heard,” Moore, the House speaker, said in a statement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom