UNC coach Hatchell resigns after program review | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UNC coach Hatchell resigns after program review

Reaction Score
[

Got any links to those articles?

Yes:

Transfer blames Duke staff for severity of knee injury

"Recent published reports had Hunter, the top-rated high school prospect in 2003, criticizing the Duke coaching and medical staff for problems that led her to a third knee surgery in less than a year back in October. Hunter declined to comment further on this situation, but she said she may revisit the issue at a later date. Duke officials also did not make coach Gail Goestenkors, who refuted the accusations, available for comment but issued a statement earlier this week."

Brittany Hunter's Complaint -- Three Views

"A story has emerged about former Duke player Brittany Hunter's
experience at Duke. She and her mother, Jeryll Womack, are accusing the
coaching staff and medical staff of mismanagement of Brittany's knee
injury, and have intimated that they may sue Duke if Brittany is unable to
play again at UConn."

Reaction Score
Yes:

Transfer blames Duke staff for severity of knee injury

"Recent published reports had Hunter, the top-rated high school prospect in 2003, criticizing the Duke coaching and medical staff for problems that led her to a third knee surgery in less than a year back in October. Hunter declined to comment further on this situation, but she said she may revisit the issue at a later date. Duke officials also did not make coach Gail Goestenkors, who refuted the accusations, available for comment but issued a statement earlier this week."

Brittany Hunter's Complaint -- Three Views

"A story has emerged about former Duke player Brittany Hunter's
experience at Duke. She and her mother, Jeryll Womack, are accusing the
coaching staff and medical staff of mismanagement of Brittany's knee
injury, and have intimated that they may sue Duke if Brittany is unable to
play again at UConn."

And yes:

3/29/2005 Hunters progress slow

"Hunter, who was rated No. 1 on the Blue Star Index top 100 seniors list in 2003 and received the Parade National player of the year, underwent surgery upon arriving in Storrs to repair a torn ligament in her knee that she experienced during her freshman campaign at Duke.

"It has been speculated that her rehabilitation on the initial surgery was rushed and perhaps resulted in further injury. This time her meniscus was replaced with one from a cadaver, thus her recovery is experimental. She said she is hoping to be able to play again in June or July."

Reaction Score
What some call "racially insensitive" comments are often innocuous things that 95% of people would not view as even remotely racist. One example: An ESPN tennis commentator was fired and had his life ruined because he said Serena Williams was using "guerilla tactics" by surprise attacks on the net. That was somehow viewed as racist - absurd on its face.
Absurd to you but the standard is not how you mean it but how it is received. You may not find it insensitive but ask anyone of color how it feels to be referenced in that way. At the end of the day my opinion is that is the start of the conversation when both parties can express and discuss both the intent and that persons perception of the comment.

Reaction Score
Racially insensitive Does NOT equal racist. The insensitive part in this case is perhaps more important & the take away is: those words should not be used because they offend. This ESPN commentator could have learned from Howard Cousell in 1983 when Cousell referred to Joe Washington as a "little monkey" -a phrase Cousell had been using on air since 1972.
Yeah, does not make her a racist as an absolute. She does apparently lack empathy and insight.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Absurd to you but the standard is not how you mean it but how it is received. You may not find it insensitive but ask anyone of color how it feels to be referenced in that way. At the end of the day my opinion is that is the start of the conversation when both parties can express and discuss both the intent and that persons perception of the comment.
Maybe I'm dense, so clarify - is it because the word "guerilla" (which I don't think is spelled right) sounds like gorilla? Because I am as sure as I can be that guerrilla as a word has nothing to do with the animal nor any connotation that could conceivably be considered racist so far as I am aware - in fact I looked it up and it is from the Spanish for war "guera". It refers to military or militia groups that come out of hiding, perform sneak attacks and go back into hiding. So I don't quite get it.

Then again, there is a word for cheap that sort of looks like the "N" word and is spelled similarly (one g) although it is pronounced with a long 'I" (as it would be, based on how it is spelled) and has been pretty much banned. Again, it had zilch to do with the "N" word, not related in where it comes from or any reference it was ever used for.

And yes, you shouldn't use words that offend people. But, as has been said, folks currently look for things to be offended over. And just to be clear - I don't mean Sylvia's comments, which if they were as stated certainly were capable of offending folks, regardless of how they were meant.

Reaction Score
Diversity training is a two way process. While often uncomfortable, most benefit from the conversation.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah, does not make her a racist as an absolute. She does apparently lack empathy and insight.
Especially after they came to her to explain how they felt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom