UNC coach Hatchell resigns after program review | The Boneyard

UNC coach Hatchell resigns after program review

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UNC coach Hatchell resigns after program review
"That tenure ended with her resignation after a program review found concerns over her making "racially insensitive" comments and pressuring players to compete through medical issues."
"The school announced Hatchell's resignation late Thursday, along with findings from that external review conducted this month by a Charlotte-based law firm. Among the issues: a "breakdown of connectivity" between Hatchell and the players after 28 interviews of current players and program personnel."
"The review concluded that Hatchell is not viewed as a racist," the school said, "but her comments and subsequent response caused many in the program to believe she lacked awareness and appreciation for the effect her remarks had on those who heard them."

Reaction Score
How on earth has Hatchell coached for 30+ years and this is the FIRST time anyone has ever heard about this? I'm no Tar Heel fan, but this is complete and utter nonsense. This woman has dedicated her life and career to WBB and that University.

She just must be lost, embarrassed, and totally devastated.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
People are too sensitive these days. Coaches are unpleasant, sometimes even offensive, but from my knowledge of all that she has said... nothing I'd take that literally and certainly not enough there for her players to just paint her profile as evil.

That being said, I've always said this whole debacle smelled bad from the start, and now has turned into a trainwreck.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It's a whole new generation of players and parents.
Half of the BYers will speak good of the Coach, half will congratulate the players (for destroying another long time coach's life).
Need we say more???

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
How on earth has Hatchell coached for 30+ years and this is the FIRST time anyone has ever heard about this? I'm no Tar Heel fan, but this is complete and utter nonsense. This woman has dedicated her life and career to WBB and that University.

How can you possibly care how long she's had a job when she's done it while being racist?

If she said racist garbage, she's racist. I don't care what dumb runaround the school says. This isn't complicated.

Reaction Score

What about Rene Portland? Something similar at Penn State.

Reaction Score
It's a whole new generation of players and parents.
Half of the BYers will speak good of the Coach, half will congratulate the players (for destroying another long time coach's life).
Need we say more???

Um, yes, we need to say more. ESPN reports that the official UNC report states concludes, "The review concluded that Hatchell is not viewed as a racist, but her comments and subsequent response caused many in the program to believe she lacked awareness and appreciation for the effect her remarks had on those who heard them."

Not sure how all of those players can be so outraged by racist remarks, but the university concludes that she's not racist. This didn't come out of nowhere.

Perhaps times have changed. Perhaps Black athletes are no longer willing to put up with racist remarks from a head coach, even in the South.

Reaction Score
The racially insensitive remarks were part of it. The other part was pressuring players to play through injuries and/or being cleared by medical staff to get back on the court. Both are serious; in this case I think they should not be separated so the total picture is clear.

Reaction Score
Wonder who will take over the head coach position and if any of there players will go to other programs? Isn’t shea a NC girl? Wonder if she would consider it and go back home? I sure hope not she is such a important piece to the UCONN program. Who ever becomes the coach there good luck cleaning up that mess ... not just the hatchell thing but all the academics and there scandals.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How can you possibly care how long she's had a job when she's done it while being racist?

If she said racist garbage, she's racist. I don't care what dumb runaround the school says. This isn't complicated.
It's weird. The allegation is that she said if you lose to Louisville they will hang you from a tree with a noose. Hatchell says she said they'll hang you out to dry. Big, big difference, obviously, if you are old enough to know the second phrase. The first one sounds really unlikely, but if it is correct then she is deeply disturbed and should be fired.

Reaction Score
It's weird. The allegation is that she said if you lose to Louisville they will hang you from a tree with a noose. Hatchell says she said they'll hang you out to dry. Big, big difference, obviously, if you are old enough to know the second phrase. The first one sounds really unlikely, but if it is correct then she is deeply disturbed and should be fired.

Washington Post today points out that Hatchell never denied that she said "noose" until her attorney got involved. The Post points out that she refused to apologize to the players for the remark, even after they brought it to her attention and told her how they felt.

So it happened. And UNC also agreed, which says something.

And, of course, there is the medical mistreatment and pressure on badly injured players to play.

The last lines of the Post article are about a player doing a selfie while wearing a green jersey. She transferred to Notre Dame.

When players vote with their feet, a university will take notice. It must have been really bad for UNC to force a resignation for a coach with more than a thousand wins.

Reaction Score
Wonder who will take over the head coach position and if any of there players will go to other programs? Isn’t shea a NC girl? Wonder if she would consider it and go back home? I sure hope not she is such a important piece to the UCONN program. Who ever becomes the coach there good luck cleaning up that mess ... not just the hatchell thing but all the academics and there scandals.
I believe the academics issue was cleared---the gut/watered down, non attendence classes were open to all, making them "legit"?????? I won't throw my big stones at Hatchell until I read details. Reported cases are some times not exactly as reported.

Reaction Score
Washington Post today points out that Hatchell never denied that she said "noose" until her attorney got involved. The Post points out that she refused to apologize to the players for the remark, even after they brought it to her attention and told her how they felt.

So it happened. And UNC also agreed, which says something.

And, of course, there is the medical mistreatment and pressure on badly injured players to play.

The last lines of the Post article are about a player doing a selfie while wearing a green jersey. She transferred to Notre Dame.

When players vote with their feet, a university will take notice. It must have been really bad for UNC to force a resignation for a coach with more than a thousand wins.
Question for you: If her team won the NC--would she'd been asked/forced to resign?? How far did she go in the NcAA ? Was that a factor ? After 33 years it seems the ADMIN needed a lever to move her.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I never met Coach Hatchell. I do not know anything about her or her players. I believe that she did what was best for her and her school by resigning. But I cannot judge her motives or her character. The whole thing is an unfortunate loss for the players, the school, and the coaching staff. And another bad mark for women's basketball. :(

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The Washington Post story is pretty damning, especially about the playing through injuries part...which was taken from the report

No way she could have stayed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Question for you: If her team won the NC--would she'd been asked/forced to resign?? How far did she go in the NcAA ? Was that a factor ? After 33 years it seems the ADMIN needed a lever to move her.
Broadway, So your point is the report was a lever to get rid of her? Given the information contained she should be gone. But hey, I am all for a good conspiracy theory, this isn’t one however...

Reaction Score
Portland case, based on the info that ultimately came out, was fully deserved. Deeply homophobic coach who treated her gay players horribly. There’s a documentary out in what happened there, if you want to learn the full details.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom