Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
10 point win. Over.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Drummond looked his best yet. Lamb was Lamb, and Bazz seemed just a little off. "Scoe picked up where he left off last game. Alex had a few flashes but mostly was innactive. Same with Deandre. TO was aggressive. Maybe a little too aggressive. We got a lot of charges called on us.

Reaction Score
Man we need Boatright huge. SN and JL can't play 40 minutes a game. What is up with NG as he looks like he is just going through the motions when he is out there. Scared to make a mistake.

Reaction Score
Was unable to get the game. Alex didn't play much, what happened?

Reaction Score
"Scared to make a mistake."

That's what Calhoun does to some guys. His style works for some players, not so much for others.

Reaction Score
Drummond looked his best yet. Lamb was Lamb, and Bazz seemed just a little off. "Scoe picked up where he left off last game. Alex had a few flashes but mostly was innactive. Same with Deandre. TO was aggressive. Maybe a little too aggressive. We got a lot of charges called on us.
Drummond looked alright in the first half but lost in the second half and Napier was game saver with JL. Roscoe actually struggled in the second half with some poor decisions. Can't wait for when DD's shot starts to fall more consistently. Win and move on is all you can ask for today.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i love drummonds aggressiveness, he just needs to control it and focus it... but our backcourt is ridiculous

Reaction Score
"Scared to make a mistake."

That's what Calhoun does to some guys. His style works for some players, not so much for others.
I wonder if NG would have been better off play against Americans than Foreigners in the summer due to the speed of the game. Kind of disappointing that his offense game looks stale.

Reaction Score
i love drummonds aggressiveness, he just needs to control it and focus it... but our backcourt is ridiculous
Yep best BC in the Nation but damn we need RB in there.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I wonder if NG would have been better off play against Americans than Foreigners in the summer due to the speed of the game. Kind of disappointing that his offense game looks stale.
yeah but when he does get an open shot he's good... plus i love his defense, rebounding and hustle

Reaction Score
yeah but when he does get an open shot he's good... plus i love his defense, rebounding and hustle
Yeah his defense has always been the best part of his game unfortunately he didn't really improve ability to dribble over the summer. We really need to give our guards some rest.

Reaction Score
They started Andre as a strategic move to try to get him going and Alex lost some minutes. Thought Alex played OK off the bench, but JC didn't stick with him for extended minutes for whatever reason (long-term motivation, missed assignments, etc.). Most of our bigs (including Roscoe in there) kept trying to drive to the basket from 15 feet and out against a smaller, quicker team and charging or turning it over. We need Boatright so we can have a small line-up option too. We were having trouble sticking with their guys on the perimeter and we were giving up some open looks when UNCA would dribble drive, kick out and rotate the ball, (our help D rotation stopped when it got to our frontcourt). Our perimeter defense might have been better if we could've went with three guards for a spell (although we can't do that too much because it'll take away our depth).

Although we should be forewarned: if we play Florida State on the last day, that's a brutal first game for Boatright. All their guys are tall and athletic, makes it tough for the little guards to find room to make plays.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They started Andre as a strategic move to try to get him going. Thought Alex played OK off the benc. Most of our bigs (including Roscoe in there) kept trying to drive to the basket from 15 feet and out against a smaller, quicker team and charging or turning it over. We need Boatright so we can have a small line-up option too. We were having trouble sticking with their guys on the perimeter and we were giving up some open looks when UNCA would dribble drive, kick out and rotate the ball, (our help D rotation stopped when it got to our frontcourt). Our perimeter defense might have been better if we could've went with three guards for a spell (although we can't do that too much because it'll take away our depth).

Although we should be forewarned: if we play Florida State on the last day, that's a brutal first game for Boatright. All their guys are tall and athletic, makes it tough for the little guards to find room to make plays.

true but his speed can be a killer

Reaction Score
Asheville did the same thing to North Carolina, although UNC got slightly more separation. The entire second half was between 15-20 against UNC, and it was between 10-15 against us. They just pushed back when we looked like we were ready to blow them out (the two straight threes by Dickey in the first half after we went up 17, or the three straight charges they drew in the second half when we were up 15 helped them get it back down to 10). Some of it was us, but some of it was them being seniors and just not rolling over for us.

Reaction Score
They started Andre as a strategic move to try to get him going and Alex lost some minutes. Thought Alex played OK off the bench, but JC didn't stick with him for extended minutes for whatever reason (long-term motivation, missed assignments, etc.). Most of our bigs (including Roscoe in there) kept trying to drive to the basket from 15 feet and out against a smaller, quicker team and charging or turning it over. We need Boatright so we can have a small line-up option too. We were having trouble sticking with their guys on the perimeter and we were giving up some open looks when UNCA would dribble drive, kick out and rotate the ball, (our help D rotation stopped when it got to our frontcourt). Our perimeter defense might have been better if we could've went with three guards for a spell (although we can't do that too much because it'll take away our depth).

I don't necessarily think we have to go with 3 guards until end of the game. I think the bigger problem that even SN mentioned in post game interviews was that he was gassed. I'm sure JL was also. No way they can play 40 minutes a game and for us to be continue to be successful without giving those guys some rest. That is why RB is critical.

Reaction Score
We were having trouble sticking with their guys on the perimeter and we were giving up some open looks when UNCA would dribble drive, kick out and rotate the ball, (our help D rotation stopped when it got to our frontcourt). Our perimeter defense might have been better if we could've went with three guards for a spell (although we can't do that too much because it'll take away our depth).

Shouldn't UNCA be the one having issues matching-up against us? :)

Reaction Score
Yeah - they had match-up issues inside (and like everyone else in the country, they had issues with Lamb's length at the 2). But they put in defensive schemes to deal with our size that were more or less effective (plus none of our big men are dominant scorers). When they had the ball, they caused match-up issues for us with a big line-up. They played like a Euro team. Drive, force the help D to come, kick it out and rotate the ball to the open shooter. Seemed like we'd have the kick-out pass covered, and maybe even the first pass on the rotation, but the next pass would lead to an open shot. Maybe three guards would have been more effective, but I think the other posters are right that the biggest issue is just getting some bench help. It takes a lot of effort to continually fly around the perimeter at shooters, and when your two guards are playing 39 - that could be as much of a factor at the rotations being slow as the game progressed.

Reaction Score
Yeah - they had match-up issues inside (and like everyone else in the country, they had issues with Lamb's length at the 2). But they put in defensive schemes to deal with our size that were more or less effective (plus none of our big men are dominant scorers). When they had the ball, they caused match-up issues for us with a big line-up. They played like a Euro team. Drive, force the help D to come, kick it out and rotate the ball to the open shooter. Seemed like we'd have the kick-out pass covered, and maybe even the first pass on the rotation, but the next pass would lead to an open shot. Maybe three guards would have been more effective, but I think the other posters are right that the biggest issue is just getting some bench help. It takes a lot of effort to continually fly around the perimeter at shooters, and when your two guards are playing 39 - that could be as much of a factor at the rotations being slow as the game progressed.

I'll say this - Asheville needs to get some credit they are tough as nails. But our bigs didn't box out well at all and always jumping to the ball rather than getting contact. Back to fundamentals boys or the rebounding battle will be lost. oth UCF and Fl ST are bigger and more athletic. Need to get Daniels more open looks and some vets need to show up better yet again. All in all a win no matter how you look at it. This will be a team finding its way every night against all their opponents. But I think some reality may be coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom