UNC academic case finally reaches NCAA infractions hearing | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UNC academic case finally reaches NCAA infractions hearing

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
There has only been 1 death penalty case and quite honestly it was way worse than what UNC did. SMU paid players while it was on probation for paying players and the Board of trustees facilitated it. And the impact was awful. It took 20? years before they had another winning season. The NCAA will never do it again.
I must disagree with you that giving students benefits is worse than the infractions here. In this case the university stole from the students; UNC deprived them of meaningful education and diluted its own academics, thereby tarnishing all students not just the athletes who took that course. That this occurred in full view of the administration, and that it was done ostensibly to benefit the athletic program, severe punishment is warranted. I do not expect it to happen, but that such severe punishment impaired another school is irrelevant. They deserve to have the entire athletic program placed on probation for many years and use that time to demonstrate a good faith effort to remediate and improve.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Throw in the vacation of couple of natties in there and I'm on board.

Agreed. If the Jefferson Co. CC loses its 2013 natty for hookers, UNC should lose two for something that's apparently been going on systematically for almost 20 years. Their defense is based on their assertion that these gut courses were available to the entire student body. If they convince anybody at the NCAA of that, then the whole organization is more corrupt than anybody already thinks it is. They purposely didn't list these courses in any universal sense for all UNC students to enroll in, because if they had they'd have maxed out on registration day in about five minutes. Who wouldn't want to sign up for a course with a guaranteed high grade just for turning in a term paper? Filling the class up with non-athletes would have not kept enough space open for the athletes. The idea that nobody in the athletic dept. knew what was going on is preposterous.

What about the professors involved that "taught" these classes? What do they have to say about awarding automatic high grades for very little student effort?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I must disagree with you that giving students benefits is worse than the infractions here. In this case the university stole from the students; UNC deprived them of meaningful education and diluted its own academics, thereby tarnishing all students not just the athletes who took that course. That this occurred in full view of the administration, and that it was done ostensibly to benefit the athletic program, severe punishment is warranted. I do not expect it to happen, but that such severe punishment impaired another school is irrelevant. They deserve to have the entire athletic program placed on probation for many years and use that time to demonstrate a good faith effort to remediate and improve.

Totally agree.

That said, I bet the Pony Express was wracked with academic fraud as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom