UNC academic case finally reaches NCAA infractions hearing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UNC academic case finally reaches NCAA infractions hearing

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The NCAA gives new meaning to the term 'kangaroo court'.

Reaction Score
Losing scholarships doesn't really hurt the school that much. You could make the case that it only hurts kids since that's one less kid getting a free education plus the school saves money on that tuition.
If it's "just" a 1 year ban I will be livid. They would essentially be saying that all those fake classes and false degrees for years is as bad as UConn reporting accurate grades that were sub-par.
And keep in mind that a 1 year ban, at this point, is no ban at all. It would be like the cuse self-banning in the middle of the year. Their players are stuck now because we are basically at the start of the school year. And their recruits for next year won't care because it won't affect them.

Reaction Score
I've moved on. I'll read the eventual outcome, but it doesn't really matter. Whatever the penalty is, UNC will be in the same place academically and athletically within a couple years.

UNC is, or is perceived to be, a great school that kids want to go to. Half of the kids (boys and girls) in my town wear UNC gear. No non-academia individual cares about this scandal in determining whether to go to UNC.

Athletically, I agree with Roy Williams that the biggest penalty that the NCAA has given UNC is uncertainty. If I'm a recruit, I'm skeptical of UNC knowing that they may get penalized while I'm there. Once the penalty is given, UNC may struggle for a couple years if there are significant scholarship reductions and/or post season bans, but they'll rise right back to their high level shortly thereafter.

What UNC did was reprehensible, and I don't blame people for wanting the NCAA to take a pound of flesh, but I don't believe it's going to impact UNC for very long.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I've moved on. I'll read the eventual outcome, but it doesn't really matter. Whatever the penalty is, UNC will be in the same place academically and athletically within a couple years.

UNC is, or is perceived to be, a great school that kids want to go to. Half of the kids (boys and girls) in my town wear UNC gear. No non-academia individual cares about this scandal in determining whether to go to UNC.

Athletically, I agree with Roy Williams that the biggest penalty that the NCAA has given UNC is uncertainty. If I'm a recruit, I'm skeptical of UNC knowing that they may get penalized while I'm there. Once the penalty is given, UNC may struggle for a couple years if there are significant scholarship reductions and/or post season bans, but they'll rise right back to their high level shortly thereafter.

What UNC did was reprehensible, and I don't blame people for wanting the NCAA to take a pound of flesh, but I don't believe it's going to impact UNC for very long.

They should get the death penalty.

20 years of lack of institutional control at best, and flat out fraud at worst.

The NCAA would survive without UNC, but in general, people are stupid and will believe that UNC is too big to fail.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Transcript of hearing:

Roy Williams: "Aw, gee golly shucks guys, I don't know anything about anything!"

Mark Emmert: "That's good enough for us, Roy Boy...case closed!"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
will stonewall for another two years. Atleast !
... by announcing that a decision is premature because they done even more than was discovered by the NCAA.

What the heck right? If something works you stick with it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the harshness of the penalty for UCONN for one season of not meeting the GPA level because 3 BB players left school without finishing their curriculum vs UNC and 20 years of academic fraud to keep players eligible ?
This.

I'm fully prepare to be apoplectic about this.

Reaction Score
Not getting my hopes up that they get slammed it is after all the NCAA with Emmert..... leading the way. There is only a few schools that get away with this and Unc is one of them.

the Q

Reaction Score
This.

I'm fully prepare to be apoplectic about this.

Anything less than the death penalty and I'll be there.

Reaction Score
UNC is not getting the death penalty. If that is what you want you will be disappointed. Maybe they get banned for a year and lose a couple of scholarships. Maybe they get the most meaningless penalty of all--vacating wins. The games are over and everybody knows the results. Claiming UNC didn't win but neither did their opponents is at best silly and no real penalty at all.

the Q

Reaction Score
UNC is not getting the death penalty. If that is what you want you will be disappointed. Maybe they get banned for a year and lose a couple of scholarships. Maybe they get the most meaningless penalty of all--vacating wins. The games are over and everybody knows the results. Claiming UNC didn't win but neither did their opponents is at best silly and no real penalty at all.

I agree in theory. I believe they do have to give back the money they got from those as well, so I guess it's more about hitting them in the wallet and about the coaches legacy and taking away those titles.

the Q

Reaction Score

I'll be disappointed then.

Cause they deserve that and nothing less.

Not even a shred less.

Reaction Score
There has only been 1 death penalty case and quite honestly it was way worse than what UNC did. SMU paid players while it was on probation for paying players and the Board of trustees facilitated it. And the impact was awful. It took 20? years before they had another winning season. The NCAA will never do it again.

Reaction Score
My prediction is this will drag out long enough for Emmert to step down & then the new guy in-charge will give UNC a slap on the wrist stating he's not going to comment on how his predecessor handled things in the past & he's looking forward.

Reaction Score

Talk about playing for sympathy - Hatchell's dress looks like a concentration camp uniform.
HATCHELL AND SMITH.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom