Un Be Leve Able | The Boneyard

Un Be Leve Able

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I guess this team is peaking piquing peeking. If your a UConn fan yesterdays game against a top 25 was like magic. The defense and the passing were the best Ive seen in a long time. A few months ago fans were concerned about the development of this team. Well we have players in new positions we have new player learning the Genos system. Well the learning curve began to show up today as did the confidence and the momentum and just in time to head down to Texas. If UConn continues to grow and maintain this level of BB it could be worse then a blow out . Yesterdays massacre show us how good we can be. Maintaining that level will be tuff but anything close would be unbelievable. Talk about All Americans. We've got 6 and one developing into an AA. When you look at Z and how much better shes become, and CD development since last season, and Lous defense and overall game and Phessa's over all game and Kia's outstanding shooting and taking over as a leader on the team and of course Gabby who's overall athleticism is beyond anything weve ever seen in WCBB. Last nite we saw it come together. I can only imagine how much better this team will get as the second half of the season is upon us and then in the NCAAs...now thats gonna be fun.

Once again Geno has built another machine which we call UConn Womens BB and once again its a team that can steamroll opponents into the next stratosphere . The amazing thing about Geno's teams is he does it with different players year after year and his ability to do that is beyond anything any coach has done for this period of time. IMO he is a scientist and has made his coaching and his game a science.

Over the next few weeks and especially against top teams like Texas S Carolina and LVille we will see where this team is in their growth and development. Everybody is waiting for UConn to fall, or become beatable. It doesnt look like it will come anytime soon. I said last season the loss to Miss St was a fluke, was the law of averages and thats not ment to disrespect Miss St. Its to commend UConn for who they are and what Geno has built. I dont think Miss St wants to face UConn again especially in the NCAAs. In fact no team wants to be in UConns bracket this season.

So now the much anticipated game at Texas next week. The circus will put on a show.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
As it happened, this was the very first game I watched from start to finish since the days of Shea Ralph the Player (I don't watch so I don't bring them bad luck).

Thank you TEAM!!!

Reaction Score
As it happened, this was the very first game I watched from start to finish since the days of Shea Ralph the Player (I don't watch so I don't bring them bad luck).

Thank you TEAM!!!
Wow! That is quite a gap!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
IMO he is a scientist and has made his coaching and his game a science.
Tonyc, you are right that Geno has this down to a science in that he is in complete control of the technical aspects of the game. He knows the structure, the strategies, the probabilities, etc.

I also think there is an art to it, as @bag27 alludes to above. He has the "feel," the "sense," he strives to perfect the artistry of the game. That's why I like to think of him as the Toscanini of coaching. The Maestro! The Master!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Great post TonyC...I would add that I don't think anyone expected anything else especially with UConn returning the "big three" and Dangerfield as well as, adding AZ and Camara to the mix. Of course, Camara's slow recovery and her inability to be in game shape is slightly disconcerting and begs the question as to what if anything we can expect from her with regards to contributing to the team's success this year. On the other hand, I am watching the development of the freshmen and sophomores with interest. On the sophomore side there is no doubt that Kyra Irwin has figured out her role and she comes in ready to contribute with rebounds, put-backs and a few threes of her own. She also seems to understand the offensive scheme and moves in the motion offense pretty efficiently making passes and setting screens. Kyra's defense is improving but she still has some work to do in that area. Molly Bent heretofore has seemed to have been plagued with a lack of confidence but we have seen some of that begin to wear off in the last couple of games as she has started knocking down threes. She does seem to understand the offensive scheme and while she manages for the most part to keep her opponent in front of her she seems to get lost coming off of screens and misses opportunities where she should be switching off her man and picking up another. I think if Molly continues on this projectory she will develop into a dependable substitute off the bench. Now, to the freshmen... I will start with Hunter...I would be lying if I wasn't concerned about her future with the program...cryptic mentions about her taking care of personal business, her missing valuable time in the heart of the season and her lack of minutes have me running up the "red flag". I do hope I am wrong on this one...as I see her as a prolific scorer in the future. Makayla Combs...her limited minutes makes it hard to make any concrete conclusions as to her development and her future contribution. Of course, Geno and his staff see her everyday in practice and I am sure they know what they are doing in bring her along. I don't see any red flags with Makayla quite the opposite actually, when she passed up an easy lay-up to help Lexi Gordon get her first UConn points and then one offensive sequence later got herself open for 3 pointer of her own, I knew right then this kid has the right attitude and talent and that it is just a matter of time. I think Makayla is still learning the Offense and will become more effective once she learns Geno's system. Lexi Gordon...Lexi came to UConn with a certain amount of hype and to be truthful hasn't exactly lived up to it yet. She is like a deer in the headlights and that has resulted in air balls, missed defensive assignments and a lack of playing time. Unfortunately, it has manifested itself in a lack of confidence which in my mind is the demon that Lexi must overcome. I believe she has the talent and she came in with higher expectations for a variety of reasons...so, I guess Geno and his staff are going to have to work with Lexi in helping her to find that confidence, the rest is going to be up to her. Last but not least...Meagan Walker...our number one high school player coming out of high school. It is obvious that Meagan's transition to the college game takes some time given the plethora of capable players ahead of her in the rotation. As a freshman it is hard to show what you have when you have 5 Americans ahead of you and your coming off the bench...flashback Diana Taurasi's freshman year. The good news is not only has MW begun to show that she deserves to be on the floor offensively, but she is grabbing rebounds and making defensive plays. Additionally, it is becoming more and more apparent that her teammates are beginning to trust her as well as they are giving her the ball in the right place for her to take shots..."she seems to like the corner three". MW's confidence is growing and there is no doubt that by March she will continue to be Geno's first substitute coming off the bench as she will be someone he can depend on. Her sophomore growth spurt will be off the charts.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Great post TonyC...I would add that I don't think anyone expected anything else especially with UConn returning the "big three" and Dangerfield as well as, adding AZ and Camara to the mix. Of course, Camara's slow recovery and her inability to be in game shape is slightly disconcerting and begs the question as to what if anything we can expect from her with regards to contributing to the team's success this year. On the other hand, I am watching the development of the freshmen and sophomores with interest. On the sophomore side there is no doubt that Kyra Irwin has figured out her role and she comes in ready to contribute with rebounds, put-backs and a few threes of her own. She also seems to understand the offensive scheme and moves in the motion offense pretty efficiently making passes and setting screens. Kyra's defense is improving but she still has some work to do in that area. Molly Bent heretofore has seemed to have been plagued with a lack of confidence but we have seen some of that begin to wear off in the last couple of games as she has started knocking down threes. She does seem to understand the offensive scheme and while she manages for the most part to keep her opponent in front of her she seems to get lost coming off of screens and misses opportunities where she should be switching off her man and picking up another. I think if Molly continues on this projectory she will develop into a dependable substitute off the bench. Now, to the freshmen... I will start with Hunter...I would be lying if I wasn't concerned about her future with the program...cryptic mentions about her taking care of personal business, her missing valuable time in the heart of the season and her lack of minutes have me running up the "red flag". I do hope I am wrong on this one...as I see her as a prolific scorer in the future. Makayla Combs...her limited minutes makes it hard to make any concrete conclusions as to her development and her future contribution. Of course, Geno and his staff see her everyday in practice and I am sure they know what they are doing in bring her along. I don't see any red flags with Makayla quite the opposite actually, when she passed up an easy lay-up to help Lexi Gordon get her first UConn points and then one offensive sequence later got herself open for 3 pointer of her own, I knew right then this kid has the right attitude and talent and that it is just a matter of time. I think Makayla is still learning the Offense and will become more effective once she learns Geno's system. Lexi Gordon...Lexi came to UConn with a certain amount of hype and to be truthful hasn't exactly lived up to it yet. She is like a deer in the headlights and that has resulted in air balls, missed defensive assignments and a lack of playing time. Unfortunately, it has manifested itself in a lack of confidence which in my mind is the demon that Lexi must overcome. I believe she has the talent and she came in with higher expectations for a variety of reasons...so, I guess Geno and his staff are going to have to work with Lexi in helping her to find that confidence, the rest is going to be up to her. Last but not least...Meagan Walker...our number one high school player coming out of high school. It is obvious that Meagan's transition to the college game takes some time given the plethora of capable players ahead of her in the rotation. As a freshman it is hard to show what you have when you have 5 Americans ahead of you and your coming off the bench...flashback Diana Taurasi's freshman year. The good news is not only has MW begun to show that she deserves to be on the floor offensively, but she is grabbing rebounds and making defensive plays. Additionally, it is becoming more and more apparent that her teammates are beginning to trust her as well as they are giving her the ball in the right place for her to take shots..."she seems to like the corner three". MW's confidence is growing and there is no doubt that by March she will continue to be Geno's first substitute coming off the bench as she will be someone he can depend on. Her sophomore growth spurt will be off the charts.
Please the name Kyla Irwin, NOT Kyra, other than that I agree with your post.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
well done, Tonyc!

There were more than a few times that I shouted out: Bravo! I felt I was watching a master performance, such as at an opera or ballet.

Especially that first quarter. Poetry in motion. I loved it. USF was down 20 points in only 8 minutes. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom