UMass | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UMass

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I don’t think that UMass is a horrible idea. Creates a local rival, and could be an opportunity to really leverage Boston. Play basketball and hockey in the Garden. Football and baseball at Fenway. BC is on an island in the ACC, and a strong UConn/UMass rivalry could really neuter them. Owning New England would be an asset to the AAC.

Reaction Score
URI would not touch the AAC for several reasons, though I could see them jumping to the Big East, and it would not surprise me if they got an invite. Not sure though where Providence would stand though on it.
That’s hard to envision as long as PC exists.
UMass currently is a man without a country for football . The AAC is the best non P5 conference there is .
If your in The AAC currently in the process of negotiinatung a new contract . You have to ask yourself and your media partner who if anyone moves the needle .
If it’s no one your forced to stand pat. Sadly it has to be about the money.
The AAC would be great for UMass
But I suspect UMass wouldn’t be that great for the AAC.
I’m in favor of one or more basketball onlies Sonething that was obvious to me 5 years ago. Especially a team in the Eastern Time Zone.
It most likely would have to come from the A10 although not necessarily
That Doesn’ doen’t help UMass
But It does help
Dayton
VCU
ODU
Rhody
My original suggestion was keep ECU football only
add two from the East and one from the west
The AAC could be a top 5 BB conference.
Your still not as compact as the Big East which itself has blown up its original vision for competition sake.
That’s just the reality of today.
If you guys are saying
Being in a B.B. conference
That includes
Temple
Dayton
VCU/Rhody
Memphis
WSU
SMU
Cinncy
Houston
UCF
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
Is horrible than Nothing can help you.
If you want to continue football that’s as good as it gets.
The other option is drop football completely and join the Big East.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that UMass is a horrible idea. Creates a local rival, and could be an opportunity to really leverage Boston. Play basketball and hockey in the Garden. Football and baseball at Fenway. BC is on an island in the ACC, and a strong UConn/UMass rivalry could really neuter them. Owning New England would be an asset to the AAC.
If UMass had any pull in Boston that might work
Mass is Boston and UMass somewhat like UConn in Western Fairfield county is a minor player in a saturated market .
I like UMass I’m an old Yankee Conference guy
I still peek occasionally on how UVT ,UNH, Maine ,Rhody and UMass are doing.
But today is a different reality. Loved it when VT beat Cuse in the NCAA tourney .
If the AAC exspands I suspect it might be football and basketball Onlies.
I could see Air Force or Colo State or if Army apparently wants to get back in the Mix them
I wouldn’t mind playing Army,and Navy annually and Air Force once every 3 or 4 years
The idea is to create the most attractive media package possible. Not satisfy any particular local favorite.
Frankly with our leadership we’re lucky to be in that mix.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
If UMass had any pull in Boston that might work
Mass is Boston and UMass somewhat like UConn in Western Fairfield county is a minor player in a saturated market .
I like UMass I’m an old Yankee Conference guy
I still peek occasionally on how UVT ,UNH, Maine ,Rhody and UMass are doing.
But today is a different reality. Loved it when VT beat Cuse in the NCAA tourney .
If the AAC exspands I suspect it might be football and basketball Onlies.
I could see Air Force or Colo State or if Army apparently wants to get back in the Mix them
I wouldn’t mind playing Army,and Navy annually and Air Force once every 3 or 4 years
The idea is to create the most attractive media package possible. Not satisfy any particular local favorite.
Frankly with our leadership we’re lucky to be in that mix.
I really think that we need a local rival. We are losing the casual fan. My thought was can UConn and UMass together generate some interest in Boston. Both have large alumni bases in the area. If successful, that’s lots of eyeballs in the New England market, which would be good for the AAC.

Reaction Score
I really think that we need a local rival. We are losing the casual fan. My thought was can UConn and UMass together generate some interest in Boston. Both have large alumni bases in the area. If successful, that’s lots of eyeballs in the New England market, which would be good for the AAC.
From my position deep in the AZ desert on a most gorgeous day for the final round of the Phoenex Open.
UConn is one of the weakest links in the AAC and already used their influence to get WSU in.They already played their hand it didn’t include or neighbor.Playing UMass isn’t going to save us a good football coach which we are obviously incapable of hiring and a winning men’s B.B. team are the only solution.
What you want to do is give up make football independent and join the A10 because UMass isn’t getting into the AAC along with us .We’re and outlier and except for the fact we’re a legacy probably couldn’t get in the AAC. In our current state.
UMass would take our spot if offered in a heartbeat and not look back.
Having UConn as a local rival is BS
Reality sucks but it doen’t make it false.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If we ever are in the same conference as UMass, that's when I stop caring and watching. Literally like 2,000 people go to their football games

Reaction Score
......It would give UConn a team to form a good rivalry with in football and in basketball. .......

I have long believed, and previously posted that UConn needs a geographic rival in the AAC. Hey when we were in the old Big East UConn played a number of schools in an easy geographic radius and where the friends and acquaintances of UConn fans graduated thereby allowing UConn fans to personalize rivalries.

Now the AAC does not offer any geographic rival to UConn and who the heck has an emotional reaction to the faceless programs at Tulsa, SMU, East Carolina, Central Florida, South Florida and the other geographically mismatched schools in the AAC whose only bond is that each wants out of the AAC.

A better solution to Mass in the AAC, is IMO negotiating UConn's inclusion in the Big East,

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I have long believed, and previously posted that UConn needs a geographic rival in the AAC. Hey when we were in the old Big East UConn played a number of schools in an easy geographic radius and where the friends and acquaintances of UConn fans graduated thereby allowing UConn fans to personalize rivalries.

Now the AAC does not offer any geographic rival to UConn and who the heck has an emotional dislike of Tulsa, SMU, East Carolina, Central Florida, ?South Florida and the other geographically mismatched schools in the AAC whose only bond is that all want out of the AAC.

Temple football is a much better option than UMass. We don't want a rivalry with UMass--they're perceived as inferior to us by all standards, so there's really no benefit to playing them a lot for our program. It's a lose-lose.

Reaction Score
Temple football is a much better option than UMass. We don't want a rivalry with UMass--they're perceived as inferior to us by all standards, so there's really no benefit to playing them a lot for our program. It's a lose-lose.
I wouldn't perceive any school inferior to UConn in men's basketball or football and I don't think many other people do either.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I wouldn't perceive any school inferior to UConn in men's basketball or football and I don't think many other people do either.

Historically. UMass had probably its most successful season as an FBS football team last year and won 4 games--three of the wins were Georgia Southern, Maine, and Appalachian State. They got kicked out of the MAC. Basketball has some historic success, but even that is limited. UMass has never been and never will be a sports school. There's no point in looking to align ourselves with them--it's essentially admitting that we're toast as an athletic department. UMass can't sell people tickets to any of their games, their athletic budget is smaller than New Mexico's and only slightly larger than Wyoming's. We don't want to be associated with UMass

Reaction Score
Honestly, I probably know more about the inner workings of the UMass Athletics Department than even UConn's, so...

There isn't a single, solitary person who wants to be in the Big East at that entire university. From anyone in football or hoops, to alumni, to boosters. I'm good friends with basically everyone, know Bamford well, their marketing director worked for me for three years. I talk them a lot. They want to get into the American. Period. End of discussion. Most of them have stated - outwardly at that - that their best chance of that would be UConn leaving the AAC and leaving a gap in their northeastern footprint. And honestly, they're not wrong.

They simply don't pull the kind of market that would be remotely attractive to the P5, their football program is a debt-ridden albatross right now, but they're giving it their best possible go with what they've got and the current crop of AD officials are still trying to dig their way out of a whole swath of terrible decisions that the previous group made. And that's not discounting their own (admitted mistakes) an a whole other variety of fronts.

Their hoops program is their best shot. McCall is a really good coach. To get what he's got left over after the scraps left over from an actually good recruiting class that Kellogg brought in - is pretty remarkable - AND with what they've got coming in next year by way of transfers - they're all hands on deck for the NIT. They're optimistic that's a realistic goal. Depending on how long they can keep McCall, in three years, they should have a real, legitimate shot at winning the conference and getting into the tournament. They're doing all the right things right now on that front.

Ticket sales are a headache. They hate having such a big venue in the Mullins Center. Even when they draw 5,000 fans, the arena is like sitting in an echo chamber. But even in spite of that, they've still got a strong following.

As a department - their sponsorship revenue is a real issue. They've got Lierfield in to help, but the Department is actually signing more deals than they are. They're at about $300k in sponsorship revenue and that's gotta change.

They've started by targeting better coaches. McCall is an obvious win. Their hockey coach is really good. They finally convinced their baseball coach to retire and are considering the program's future. Right now they only have three scholarships in the program and it's you know what or get off the pot, there. Their women's programs are solid, but unspectacular.

There's an active effort to expand back into the Springfield market and repair some of the burnt bridges from the previous group.

There's just a lot. A lot of things that have to be sorted out before they're even thinknig about realignment.

So take them off the board for the forseeable future, but there's signs of life there for the first time in years and they deserve credit for that.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Honestly, I probably know more about the inner workings of the UMass Athletics Department than even UConn's, so...

There isn't a single, solitary person who wants to be in the Big East at that entire university. From anyone in football or hoops, to alumni, to boosters. I'm good friends with basically everyone, know Bamford well, their marketing director worked for me for three years. I talk them a lot. They want to get into the American. Period. End of discussion. Most of them have stated - outwardly at that - that their best chance of that would be UConn leaving the AAC and leaving a gap in their northeastern footprint. And honestly, they're not wrong.

They simply don't pull the kind of market that would be remotely attractive to the P5, their football program is a debt-ridden albatross right now, but they're giving it their best possible go with what they've got and the current crop of AD officials are still trying to dig their way out of a whole swath of terrible decisions that the previous group made. And that's not discounting their own (admitted mistakes) an a whole other variety of fronts.

Their hoops program is their best shot. McCall is a really good coach. To get what he's got left over after the scraps left over from an actually good recruiting class that Kellogg brought in - is pretty remarkable - AND with what they've got coming in next year by way of transfers - they're all hands on deck for the NIT. They're optimistic that's a realistic goal. Depending on how long they can keep McCall, in three years, they should have a real, legitimate shot at winning the conference and getting into the tournament. They're doing all the right things right now on that front.

Ticket sales are a headache. They hate having such a big venue in the Mullins Center. Even when they draw 5,000 fans, the arena is like sitting in an echo chamber. But even in spite of that, they've still got a strong following.

As a department - their sponsorship revenue is a real issue. They've got Lierfield in to help, but the Department is actually signing more deals than they are. They're at about $300k in sponsorship revenue and that's gotta change.

They've started by targeting better coaches. McCall is an obvious win. Their hockey coach is really good. They finally convinced their baseball coach to retire and are considering the program's future. Right now they only have three scholarships in the program and it's you know what or get off the pot, there. Their women's programs are solid, but unspectacular.

There's an active effort to expand back into the Springfield market and repair some of the burnt bridges from the previous group.

There's just a lot. A lot of things that have to be sorted out before they're even thinknig about realignment.

So take them off the board for the forseeable future, but there's signs of life there for the first time in years and they deserve credit for that.

"There's an active effort to expand back into the Springfield market..."

What the heck? If they don't have the Springfield market, they've got less than nothing. I also don't get how they're being allowed to remain FBS in football while it seems they are playing more of their home games at 17,000 seat McGuirk Stadium on campus than at Gillette.

I have nothing against UMASS since The Squid departed Amherst, but suggesting they should be added to the already dysfunctional AAC is sheer insanity. The real litmus test for deciding to add anybody is whether or not the potential addition adds enough value in terms of media market to justify slicing the pie so all the pieces are slightly smaller. Any school that can't pass the pie test gets left out. They might want to get into the AAC, but wanting to and deserving to are two different things.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn let the AAC add Tulane and Tulsa but didn't lift a finger for UMass. The AAC is a bad enough fit for UConn, but we seem to make it worse. UConn should play UMass in football every year. Fans would care more about this game than just about any game in our conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn let the AAC add Tulane and Tulsa but didn't lift a finger for UMass. The AAC is a bad enough fit for UConn, but we seem to make it worse. UConn should play UMass in football every year. Fans would care more about this game than just about any game in our conference.

Tulane and ECU were garbage adds. At least Tulsa fields competitive football and basketball programs.

I wouldn't mind playing UMass most years in football. As long as it's not a conference game.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I have no problem with playing UMASS in football, even though it only benefits them. We beat them and it means nothing. They beat us and it means everything to them. It might at the very least improve attendance in E. Hartford for one home game.

Reaction Score
There are 3 valid interesting points in this thread. (Honest)

ONE ... We should hope/desire that the Northeastern FBS Programs get better and better. Ultimately, this is the longtime albatross that we carry as UConn Football. If UMass, Buffalo, Temple, even BC, even SU, Navy and Rutgers are solid and strong, the Ecosystem for us is stronger. We can recruit just a smidge better and the whole atmosphere of sports entertainment is better. We should play Buffalo and UMass often in a five year cycle ... as we do play Temple and Navy (hate that the AAC put them in the other division - sucks). One for all. We do not need UMass rising to AAC; they are welcome to our spot if WE get a advance to a P5 in some yellow brick road scheme. WE should want Prep Football in New England to continue to rise as well. Kids need to play quality ball early; and, unfortunately, our HS ball in NE, NY etc haven't provided enough talent playing talent. (see I won't discuss Ontario or Quebec ... but I know coaches in Montreal who rave about the quality of football getting better there)

TWO ... the AAC is a Big Market league. Tulsa? Not so much. Tulane has gotten better in Football and Hoop; both coaches honestly give us a look at something that may be formidable. Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Dallas ... with the Philadelphia, New England, DC, Cincinnati markets; that is a draw that will gain the AAC more than the scraps we currently get. (whaler11 incoming) Not double digits per school though. UMass simply does not do it for that reason.

THREE ... Hoop. We need to reorient our Fanbase as we have shifted. I don't say give up the notion of being a "National" Program in Football and Hoop; but, skew our scheduling to Northeast in both. More Boston Garden/TD and Madison Square Garden/Barclays ... and occasional Auburn/Arizona. Play UMass or BC in Boston in Hoop (with Hockey also); play St. John's or Rutgers in MSG. Pull the guys/families in by Train or MassPike again. We have worn down. Some thought must be put to pleasing the core fans.

Reaction Score
There are 3 valid interesting points in this thread. (Honest)

ONE ... We should hope/desire that the Northeastern FBS Programs get better and better. Ultimately, this is the longtime albatross that we carry as UConn Football. If UMass, Buffalo, Temple, even BC, even SU, Navy and Rutgers are solid and strong, the Ecosystem for us is stronger. We can recruit just a smidge better and the whole atmosphere of sports entertainment is better. We should play Buffalo and UMass often in a five year cycle ... as we do play Temple and Navy (hate that the AAC put them in the other division - sucks). One for all. We do not need UMass rising to AAC; they are welcome to our spot if WE get a advance to a P5 in some yellow brick road scheme. WE should want Prep Football in New England to continue to rise as well. Kids need to play quality ball early; and, unfortunately, our HS ball in NE, NY etc haven't provided enough talent playing talent. (see I won't discuss Ontario or Quebec ... but I know coaches in Montreal who rave about the quality of football getting better there)

TWO ... the AAC is a Big Market league. Tulsa? Not so much. Tulane has gotten better in Football and Hoop; both coaches honestly give us a look at something that may be formidable. Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Dallas ... with the Philadelphia, New England, DC, Cincinnati markets; that is a draw that will gain the AAC more than the scraps we currently get. (whaler11 incoming) Not double digits per school though. UMass simply does not do it for that reason.

THREE ... Hoop. We need to reorient our Fanbase as we have shifted. I don't say give up the notion of being a "National" Program in Football and Hoop; but, skew our scheduling to Northeast in both. More Boston Garden/TD and Madison Square Garden/Barclays ... and occasional Auburn/Arizona. Play UMass or BC in Boston in Hoop (with Hockey also); play St. John's or Rutgers in MSG. Pull the guys/families in by Train or MassPike again. We have worn down. Some thought must be put to pleasing the core fans.

UConn gets games in NYC almost every year now so we are in good shape there. I'm not sure what is up with Boston though. I know they played Gonzaga there about a decade ago but I can't think of any other games. UConn has a lot of alumni there so it seems like a wasted opportunity to not play up there somewhat regularly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no problem with playing UMASS in football, even though it only benefits them. We beat them and it means nothing. They beat us and it means everything to them. It might at the very least improve attendance in E. Hartford for one home game.
Our benefits are mostly that it is a readily winnable game with a fanbase that can drive to Rent but a little bit that it promotes New England football. Having other programs in the NE might start the rising tide that will float all boats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom