OT: - UMass to MAC | The Boneyard

OT: UMass to MAC

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Frank had his chances

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to bring back the bball.com "rivalry" board. I'm sure there are still a few folks who think we're afraid to play them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UMass fans will absolutely hate it, but honestly, it might be better for them.

They’ve gotten one NCAA bid in 25 years. Outside of the 1990s, UMass has made exactly two NCAA tournament. TWO!! They are legitimately a bad basketball program - pretending that an at-large bid is a thing they can routinely aspire to is a fantasy.

The MAC at least gives them an easier path to an autobid.

Reaction Score
So would the A10 be looking to add anyone...? I can think of someone who might fit...

Reaction Score
I’ve talked to several UMass fans today and they all hate the move. No one really goes
to their football games and this move wont draw fans. Basketball is showing some signs of momentum and they had 7k at a game this weekend. That is gone. They will struggle to draw 2k in Mullins playing Michigan directional schools and the 16th and 17th best programs in Ohio. I also saw a few former players on social media today who were critical of the move - Carmelo Travieso pulled his membership in the UMass Club. The alums I talked to today are depressed and said they won’t renew season tix

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to bring back the bball.com "rivalry" board. I'm sure there are still a few folks who think we're afraid to play them.
Wonder what UMFan is thinking right now

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Speaks more to the demise of the A10.

The A10 is just a farm system for the power conferences now. I include the Big East as a power basketball conference. Buffalo had a good run in basketball under Hurley and Oats, maybe UMASS can do the same. Martin is a good coach.

Reaction Score
Speaks more to the demise of the A10. The A10 is just a farm system for the Power conferences now.
True and the MAC is several levels even below that

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’ve talked to several UMass fans today and they all hate the move. No one really goes
to their football games and this move wont draw fans. Basketball is showing some signs of momentum and they had 7k at a game this weekend. That is gone. They will struggle to draw 2k in Mullins playing Michigan directional schools and the 16th and 17th best programs in Ohio. I also saw a few former players on social media today who were critical of the move - Carmelo Travieso pulled his membership in the UMass Club. The alums I talked to today are depressed and said they won’t renew season tix

Aside from Dayton and VCU the A10 is pretty dreadful too. Not exactly a ton of headliners they are foregoing.

Reaction Score
Aside from Dayton and VCU the A10 is pretty dreadful too. Not exactly a ton of headliners they are foregoing.
Yes and even with that, the MAC is levels worse than the A10. It is beyond putrid. America East and the Colonial are higher rated leagues

Reaction Score
It's not so much the competition, it's the culture of the conference. You go from playing in NY, Philly, DC, Chicago etc. to 6 (!!!) games in mid-sized Ohio cities, 3 in Michigan...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So would the A10 be looking to add anyone...? I can think of someone who might fit...
Fairfield’s about 10 years away, but it is on their radar. But expect them to go CAA first.

Maybe a Hofstra or Charleston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom