UMass No. 1 football team in New England? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass No. 1 football team in New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This entire topic exists because Masholes don't consider CT as part of NE.

Not true or accurate, Waquoit.

In some respects WMASS has always been influenced by CT and NY more than tight beantown and emass. Remember, even before the cable explosion, Hartford and New Haven tv channels were routine viewing in WMASS. Also, thousands of workers made the commute to work in insurance and aviation industries respectively.

WMASS is a heavy, heavy UConn and Coach Calhoun and always will be.

Reaction Score
Boston media almost completely ignores us. We get alot more attention from NY media esp. SNY than we do from Boston media like NESN. I'll never forget Dan Shaughnessy dumping on us when it looked like the Pats were moving to Hartford.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Boston media almost completely ignores us. We get alot more attention from NY media esp. SNY than we do from Boston media like NESN. I'll never forget Dan Shaughnessy dumping on us when it looked like the Pats were moving to Hartford.

Not just the CHB, but NECN - New England Cable News for crying out loud. I watched all day when the Pats announcement was made. The entire angle was that the Pats were being stolen away. The fact that the New England Pats were not even leaving New England was left unsaid.

Reaction Score
Another classic was when Bob Ryan wrote that Holy Cross was the only New England school to win an NCAA hoops title ... he wrote the article in 2001 ...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They will never play 11 conference games in a year. 8 is all they will play with the other four being a MAC school, 1-AA and then two other teams from BCS conference.

I've always considered Connecticut as more of a part of the tri state (NY, NJ, CT) area than part of New England. Let's face it, CT has more in common with Northern NJ, Westchester Co., Suburban L.I. than VT, NH, & ME.
Also, if the BE expands to 12 (as expected) UConn will play 11 conference games plus 1 game vs a D-1AA school for the annual easy win. We won't have room to play UMass. If the NCAA allows a 13th game. I would much prefer continuing with the likes of Tenn., Mich., MD, VA, AND OTHER ACC teams.

Reaction Score
UConn football. . . think national not New England. UConn football think Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, etc. Thinking and acting New England-like is what put UConn and UMass football 80 years behind the rest of the nation. Stop with the parochial. The UMass game better resemble the Fordham game. We've moved on and the Minutemen stayed behind. Needs to play out that way.

Reaction Score
I can tell you from growing up in Windham County, and having lived on the Westchester Fairfield County border for the past 10 years that CT is like 2 states...although if UConn was marketed statewide and you could tune into football and men's & women's basketball games on the radio that would change a bit. I can also tell you from going to college in Springfield that Eastern Mass (especially metro boston area) people think that western mass people are from Ct and are not a part of Mass.
I hope UMass developes a solid program (and we play them every year). BC doesn't want to see UMass become competitive. With their schedule next year I think 3-9 or 4-8 is VERY realistic...no way they finish over .500. Another step to becoming the 3rd best D1A football team in New England. Flipper could leave Chestnut Hill with the legacy of inheriting 3 competitive teams (football, men's & women's hoops) and guiding them into the toilet (especially football and men's hoops). Oh how sweet that will be!

Reaction Score
UConn football. . . think national not New England. UConn football think Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, etc. Thinking and acting New England-like is what put UConn and UMass football 80 years behind the rest of the nation. Stop with the parochial. The UMass game better resemble the Fordham game. We've moved on and the Minutemen stayed behind. Needs to play out that way.

I absolutely agree with this. UConn has a national profile yet seems reluctant to capitalize on it in football. The stated goal of the football program should be to win a national championship. Otherwise drop football.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with this. UConn has a national profile yet seems reluctant to capitalize on it in football. The stated goal of the football program should be to win a national championship. Otherwise drop football.
I would tend to agree both that we should be thinking of competeing nationally not just being the best in New England. We succed on a national level, and the New England thing will take care of itself. On the other hand, while I hope that we are ultimately tinking National Championship, I'd be a little careful about making that claim publicly. Schiano is still living down his comment about bringing a national championship to the University of New Jersey. He yaps about it and has never won a conference title. Great coaches and great programs don't get caught up in all that nonsense. Calhoun never made such a public claim when he came to UCONN. He just did it. And you watch and listen to him even now and he never makes a big to do about that. He just does it. Belichek doesn't go around talking about winning Super Bowls. Again, he just does it. Rex Ryan, on the other hand, talks about it all the time, but last I looked doesn't have a ring.

Reaction Score
I've always considered Connecticut as more of a part of the tri state (NY, NJ, CT) area than part of New England. Let's face it, CT has more in common with Northern NJ, Westchester Co., Suburban L.I. than VT, NH, & ME.
Also, if the BE expands to 12 (as expected) UConn will play 11 conference games plus 1 game vs a D-1AA school for the annual easy win. We won't have room to play UMass. If the NCAA allows a 13th game. I would much prefer continuing with the likes of Tenn., Mich., MD, VA, AND OTHER ACC teams.

2 points- Point 1) The I-95 crowd in CT may think they have more in common with NY/NJ but the rest of us are tried and true New Englanders. Connecticut does NOT have more in common with NY, NJ and LI. Fairfield County may think they do but you don't speak for the rest of us.
Point #2) If the Big East goes 12 teams in football you'll have 2 divisions of 6 teams. You'll play all 5 in your division plus 3 or 4 from the other which will still leave you 3 or 4 non conference games which you absolutely must have to gauge your conference vs others for rankings and bowl games.

Reaction Score
2 points- Point 1) The I-95 crowd in CT may think they have more in common with NY/NJ but the rest of us are tried and true New Englanders. Connecticut does NOT have more in common with NY, NJ and LI. Fairfield County may think they do but you don't speak for the rest of us.
Point #2) If the Big East goes 12 teams in football you'll have 2 divisions of 6 teams. You'll play all 5 in your division plus 3 or 4 from the other which will still leave you 3 or 4 non conference games which you absolutely must have to gauge your conference vs others for rankings and bowl games.

My last comment on this to kind of sum up my take on CT being New york or New England territory and why its easy to be confused. If you are in Fairfield County and see an ad for Honda, at the end you will hear "hurry in to your local tri-state Honda dealer". In that commercial, they are referring to NY, NJ, CT and they often say so verbally or in writing on screen.

If you hear a similar ad while sitting in Tolland County, you hear "hurry in to your local tri-state Honda dealer" but they are referring to CT, MA and RI and say so. CT is in fact a divided state.

Reaction Score
Not to make a big deal out of the tri state, or New England thing, but Fairfield and New Haven counties make up more than 1/2 of CT's population. It's not like a small portion of the NYC area telling CT people they aren't New Englanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom