UMass > MAC for all sports in 2025-2026 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UMass > MAC for all sports in 2025-2026

Reaction Score
They should have dropped down. They have sold out their 17,000 seat stadium just 3 times in over 40 years and there is zero talent in Western Mass. The aspirational flagship quote is questionable because UConn is the only other flagship in New England in FBS.
I believe they have Missouri coming here. They like winners too. Their hockey team draws well.

Reaction Score
This type of comment can cut both ways in the sense that others have said the same for our program. In the last 10 years we've not had the sellouts that early 00's had, though we know that with success we can pack a stadium. That said, I think UConn has put more investment into facilities, but the investment in coaching hasn't been on par with the peers we want to be associated with.
I think it’s been bad luck except for RE. We don’t know how these coaches are going to do.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This type of comment can cut both ways in the sense that others have said the same for our program. In the last 10 years we've not had the sellouts that early 00's had, though we know that with success we can pack a stadium. That said, I think UConn has put more investment into facilities, but the investment in coaching hasn't been on par with the peers we want to be associated with.
We average 25-27k a game (3x what they average). We are bad but we have a fanbase.

Reaction Score
Its time to join UMass and join football-only

Doubt the MAC would take us football-only unless maybe the hoops teams scheduled a bunch of MAC teams annually and that's highly doubtful.

Reaction Score
Its time to join UMass and join football-only
That's not a thing. UMass tried to do that the first time they were playing MAC teams and were told they had to move all sports there or no deal.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
That's not a thing. UMass tried to do that the first time they were playing MAC teams and were told they had to move all sports there or no deal.
Yeah, but there’s just a tiny bit difference between UMass and UConn basketball. It wouldn’t be permanent, but I think UConn football would have a decent base in the MAC and grow from there.

Reaction Score
Last week's win was 1000 times more fun than the beat down from Maryland. It is dumb to keep playing 4 "Power" games a year. Last year Liberty made the Fiesta bowl playing zero P games in conference far worse than the MAC.

Last edited:

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
We should strive to be the best G5 team in the country and joining a G5 conference for football only would help us to achieve that goal. Last year Liberty made the Fiesta bowl playing zero P games.
We may be able to do that as an independent. Having gone from BCS to G5 to independent only to go back to G5 again is fairly convoluted when the goal is to join a Px conference. Joining a G5 is the last resort when all Px options have evaporated. Liberty, in contrast, is in a bit of ascendancy in terms of what their football is doing compared to UConn. Yes, our team beat them 2 years ago, but would they beat them now, who knows. I totally agree with you that at the very least, UConn needs to be among the better of the G5s but as an independent, because frankly, what conference is going to take our football in its current condition? That said, I've no qualms about some (loose) scheduling agreement with the MAC, Mountain West, PAC12, or SBC as these are the teams we need to beat to show we can hang as a middle team in a Px. Though, I think a G5 only slate doesn't help us as we do need a few high profile Px games too (for both the money they bring in and to show that UConn is not merely a G5 level team).

Reaction Score
Last week's win was 1000 times more fun than the beat down from Maryland. It is dumb to keep playing 4 "Power" games a year. Last year Liberty made the Fiesta bowl playing zero P games in conference far worse than the MAC.
They played the 120th schedule. Their entire season was a canard.

Reaction Score
They played the 120th schedule. Their entire season was a canard.

and they were rewarded big time for it, and they are perceived nationally as a decent football program. Remind me again, what is the perception of our football program?

If we had Liberty's success last year, we might be on our way to the B12 right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
and they were rewarded big time for it, and they are perceived nationally as a decent football program. Remind me again, what is the perception of our football program?
Thats true. And its all phony. We have the perception of barely beating and sometimes not, FCS teams on our schedule the last decade or so. Its not the P4 losses.

Reaction Score
Thats true. And its all phony. We have the perception of barely beating and sometimes not, FCS teams on our schedule the last decade or so. Its not the P4 losses.

our scheduling also makes it difficult to attract coaching talent, no rising coach will come near us anymore. Liberty attracted the East Carolina coach as he knew he could win there and advance his career, meanwhile Mora takes a beating from our fanbase after the loss to Maryland.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree and point taken, but the site I viewed had CUSA #10 and MAC #11 in terms of rpi. Both bad conferences no doubt but all G5 are in roughly the same neighborhood.

Reaction Score
our scheduling also makes it difficult to attract coaching talent, no rising coach will come near us anymore. Liberty attracted the East Carolina coach as he knew he could win there and advance his career, meanwhile Mora takes a beating from our fanbase after the loss to Maryland.
Liberty gained its reputation under Freeze as an independent beating and being very competitive in games against the multiple P4 teams on their schedule the last 5 years prior to last. UConn would have an invite after that stint too if as successful. Prior to Freeze they were a .500 team in some conference with Campell and such under Turner Gill.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look at it this way: you don’t have to sue to get out of the ACC

Reaction Score
Liberty gained its reputation under Freeze as an independent beating and being very competitive in games against the multiple P4 teams on their schedule the last 5 years prior to last. UConn would have an invite after that stint too if as successful. Prior to Freeze they were a .500 team in some conference with Campell and such under Turner Gill.
In other words, coaching and institution support matter not just what conference you are in. The first 2 are within UCONN's control.

Reaction Score
In other words, coaching and institution support matter not just what conference you are in. The first 2 are within UCONN's control.
Managed bad right up to having Spanos paid for two years while Mora doing DC work.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

There was probably a story in there, but I was too transfixed in watched all the shocked domer fans see their team lose to another set of Huskies on home field.

As far as losing impact players due to Px deals, that's our fate. We don't have college sports, we have minor league trade deadlines masquerading as academic transfers.

Reaction Score

-> UMass spent some $58.44 million on athletics in 2023, including $11.22 million on football, according to Knight-Newhouse data. Bamford estimated his department will take in close to $2 million in profits during the first year of its MAC agreement, after making $500,000 as an Atlantic 10 affiliate (in non-football, non-hockey sports).

As an independent, UMass made $350,000 annually in trickle-down College Football Playoff payouts. That will rise to $1 million once it joins the MAC.

“Being an independent has been an absolute albatross for us,” Bamford said, pointing to challenges of scheduling and recruiting without a conference banner, and lack of shared revenue.

As a MAC member, Bamford expects to play one guarantee game annually (and it will be early in the season, with conference games down the stretch). Funds from buy-games are earmarked for football, Bamford said, but they create financial room elsewhere. <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom