UMass Get Series with Mississippi State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UMass Get Series with Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You obviously don't live in the world of College Football 2015. Making 1 for 2 deals has zero to do with not being in a conference or days being numbered. It has everything to do with not being in the top tier of the Power 5. We are in the same boat.

And by the way, Missouri is NOT in the top tier of the Power 5 so that's why they can't make 2 for 1 deals. And before you jump down my throat and argue that point please realize it has NOTHING to do with on field performance, and everything to do with National stature and TV ratings. Tennesee is in that top tier, Mizzou is not. Illinois is not. Indiana is not. Virginia is not. BC is not (although please don't waste your breath trying to get them to realize that)

Missouri has won the SEC East title two years running which is pretty doggone good and better than most team UConn has played in the past few years. But yet continue to complain because that's what you do best.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Missouri has won the SEC East title two years running which is pretty doggone good and better than most team UConn has played in the past few years. But yet continue to complain because that's what you do best.

You, can obviously the guys who liked your post, didn't read what I worte, did you? Here's the relevant part, if you need it in a different language I recommend google translate: And before you jump down my throat and argue that point please realize it has NOTHING to do with on field performance, and everything to do with National stature and TV ratings.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
By taking 2-1s not only do you relegate yourself to being a small time program... you accelerate the rate at which this is going to happen. It's just moronic.

If you're UMass, a 2-1 with Miss St. is just good business.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
You, can obviously the guys who liked your post, didn't read what I worte, did you? Here's the relevant part, if you need it in a different language I recommend google translate: And before you jump down my throat and argue that point please realize it has NOTHING to do with on field performance, and everything to do with National stature and TV ratings.
Read it. Don't agree.

Missouri is top 25 in football ratings and a nationally respected program.

Reaction Score
I am still trying to comprehend the point that MSU is now a big time SEC opponent (and apparently Mizzou is not). Mizzou has had as much success when it comes to SEC championships in its few years in the conference as MSU has had in nearly a century in the league. MSU has no national stature and does little to draw ratings. Oh, and have you ever been to Starkeville ....

Reaction Score
Well I say be creative with your scheduling. If you can schedule Mizzou, despite what some might think are nationally recognized or else they would never have been invited into the SEC in the first place, and...you can get a home and home then you go for that. If you can schedule a destination away game home and home like UMass has (@ Hawaii Nov 26, Thanksgiving weekend 2016) then you jump all over that. But...if you can get Florida St or Michigan St(one of the upper tier national powers in a league you want to join) to sign on for a 2-1 with the 1 at the Rent....I'd jump at that. That doesn't mean you'll be relegated to 2-1's for the rest of your life. Thinking that isn't foolish but it's definitely selling your AD short. If your UConn and you can get FLa St or Notre Dame or some other perennial top 25 team to come to your home then you gladly go to theirs twice. Gives you 2 chances to beat them at their place ;)

what a recruiting tool, "You'll get to spend a Thanksgiving in Hawaii while your here".

Reaction Score
I'm the guy who wants to play big time teams. You're the guy who wants to play Indiana.

UMass was desperate for a home game so they did a 2 for 1 with Mississippi St. Not Notre Dame. Not Ohio State. Not Alabama. It's similar to a game with Virginia and Illinois which UConn can get a home and home. I would be all for UConn scheduling top teams for a one and done at a neutral site. Once you do 2 for 1s, you start ending up with 5 and 6 home games in a season. The financials don't work if UConn is not consistently hosting 7 and sometime 6 home games. UNOCAL's home games: 2013: 7, 2014: 7, 2015: 6, 2016: 7, 2017: 7, 2018: probably 6.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Guys, we got mizzou home and home. It's not bama or lsu but it's better than Tennessee of late. Mizzou didn't have to give us a home game, but they did.

Right now, get all the 1 and 1s we can get. If we are still in the AAC in 10 years then go for the 2 for 1s.
I'm not disagreeing on Missouri being a great get for a home game but let's not get too excited just yet. 2017 is a still three seasons away and once they get their home game against us this season, they can very likely just back out of the 2017 game for a fee that won't dent their budget one bit. I hope I'm wrong and just hesitant because of the Tennessee thing and the almost Michigan pull out.

Reaction Score
In what world is Miss State better than Missouri? 2 for 1 to get LSU to come here I would get, but Missouri is a pretty good bench mark for the teams we could get 1 on 1s with.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
In what world is Miss State better than Missouri? 2 for 1 to get LSU to come here I would get, but Missouri is a pretty good bench mark for the teams we could get 1 on 1s with.

You know you could make the argument that our non-conference opponents have gotten better post Big East. I mean we played Maryland, Virginia, Baylor, Notre Dame, and Indiana.. Whoopty! Our future schedule has Illinois, BYU, Missouri, Illinois, Boise State, and possibly Tennessee on it... plus Indian, Virginia, and Maryland.

Of course some people have been screaming this same BS since we went I-A.

The economics just don't make sense. You're giving away a home game. That's easily a couple million dollars in revenue.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
You know you could make the argument that our non-conference opponents have gotten better post Big East. I mean we played Maryland, Virginia, Baylor, Notre Dame, and Indiana.. Whoopty! Our future schedule has Illinois, BYU, Missouri, Illinois, Boise State, and possibly Tennessee on it... plus Indian, Virginia, and Maryland.

Of course some people have been screaming this same BS since we went I-A.

The economics just don't make sense. You're giving away a home game. That's easily a couple million dollars in revenue.

First off, Tennessee ain't happening. Second of all if you think the revenue on every home game is "a couple of million dollars" you are crazy. From a pure profit standpoint going to play some Power 5 team and getting paid almost 7 figures is a no brainer.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
First off, Tennessee ain't happening. Second of all if you think the revenue on every home game is "a couple of million dollars" you are crazy. From a pure profit standpoint going to play some Power 5 team and getting paid almost 7 figures is a no brainer.

Try six. Just do the math on ticket sales. Home games are big money.

Reaction Score
The "payday" figures are now over a million dollars in many cases. That would be 7.

Payday games are for one and done not for 2 for 1s. You do 2 for 1s and you lose out on potentially millions of dollars for a home game. Yes, you can play on the road for a game for $1 million +/- which is what the FCS and some of the real lower level FBS schools do as nobody is doing a home and home or 2 for 1 with them.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Payday games are for one and done not for 2 for 1s. You do 2 for 1s and you lose out on potentially millions of dollars for a home game. Yes, you can play on the road for a game for $1 million +/- which is what the FCS and some of the real lower level FBS schools do as nobody is doing a home and home or 2 for 1 with them.

You're wrong again, read the details of the series that started this thread, UMass is getting paid $700k as a result of this 1 for 2 deal. Not nearly as much as they are getting paid by Florida next year ($1.2 mill I think) for a one-off, but not chicken feed either.

Reaction Score
All this is under the assumption people actually go to UMass home game.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Well said. UMass football is in a tailspin and is doing anything to survive not being in a conference. Their days in FBS are numbered.
And we should not throw a lifeline to the AAC. Until we know we're outta there

Reaction Score
I don't post on this board to stir up trouble and I think my posting history backs that up, but that sounds a lot like BC's attitude toward UConn.
In fairness to us, we've been hated on so much, we've come to believe this is the way it is supposed be.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
U
I don't post on this board to stir up trouble and I think my posting history backs that up, but that sounds a lot like BC's attitude toward UConn.
You made your own bed. You left the MAC when asked to join for all sports. Too bad. Lie in it.

Reaction Score
Not sure swapping money is normal for home and home games. We are paying Tulane 350k in 2016 and they are paying us 400k in 2022. Unless it's for a contingency plan if we end up in the same conference.

The AAC has been the goal but wonder about an unspoken plan B. CUSA has several teams on the east coast and better potential to become a multi bid BB conference than the MAC. Think February 2016 will be a critical time for us in regards to finding a conference.

There is also this and perhaps regarding scheduling with you guys. Perhaps it's to start basketball sooner than later or maybe a more long term commitment, especially if we do not get into the AAC.

AD Ryan Bamford said this in a online Q & A session.

On playing UConn more often:

"You're welcome. This is fun. Our goal is to play UConn as much as possible. It's a natural fit for all of our sports and would be a great regional rivalry for UMass. I think UConn feels similarly but I will be connecting with their AD soon and should know more about how we can build something that will work for both schools."

http://umass. /Article/Bamford-Answers-Fan-Questions-37804074

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Not sure swapping money is normal for home and home games. We are paying Tulane 350k in 2016 and they are paying us 400k in 2022. Unless it's for a contingency plan if we end up in the same conference.

The AAC has been the goal but wonder about an unspoken plan B. CUSA has several teams on the east coast and better potential to become a multi bid BB conference than the MAC. Think February 2016 will be a critical time for us in regards to finding a conference.

There is also this and perhaps regarding scheduling with you guys. Perhaps it's to start basketball sooner than later or maybe a more long term commitment, especially if we do not get into the AAC.

AD Ryan Bamford said this in a online Q & A session.

On playing UConn more often:

"You're welcome. This is fun. Our goal is to play UConn as much as possible. It's a natural fit for all of our sports and would be a great regional rivalry for UMass. I think UConn feels similarly but I will be connecting with their AD soon and should know more about how we can build something that will work for both schools."

http://umass. /Article/Bamford-Answers-Fan-Questions-37804074
We've played Buffalo what seems like a billion times since 98 or so. I don't see why we can't just replace that game with UMass as an easy OOC travel game for both schools. Baseball and hockey (HE) have been playing for years. Hoops is been problematic because Calipari lobbied so hard for the "rivalry" , enlisting shills like Dickie V, that when it happened your program had already fallen off the map. Worse still, we had dominated you prior to resuming the game and then won 9 of the 10 after that. Then supposedly your AD wanted to resume playing home and home, when you were in no position to get that deal. Any continuation would presumably be a 2 for 1, but who knows? I would rather play you guys than PC.

And your link seems bad.

Reaction Score
Initially could edit the post but later could not do so. Wanted to delete the words 'and perhaps' and fix the link. perhaps because the post is watched or being reviewed. Will post a diferent link, since can not get the 247sports link to work, it seems to delete 247sports.com for some reason.

This article does not have all of the Q & A and leaves out the question about how our new Performance and Champion center compare to other facilities. He said that the were as good as any at Georgia Tech and with most P5 teams. It's the 60 million for those two facilities raises concerns about money for McGuirk expansion and my on personal thought about some plan B, perhaps CUSA. Not we had several large donations for those projects, but account for less than a 1/3 of the cost.

http://www.masslive.com/umass/index.ssf/2015/06/ryan_bamford_qa_umass_athletic.html#incart_river

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're wrong again, read the details of the series that started this thread, UMass is getting paid $700k as a result of this 1 for 2 deal. Not nearly as much as they are getting paid by Florida next year ($1.2 mill I think) for a one-off, but not chicken feed either.

The 2 for 1 is not a payday game. Did you ever think what the cost is for UMass football to travel to Mississippi? Basically, Miss St is guaranteeing travel expenses and given them a small financial payday. The charter plane alone will cost $100k to $150k for each game. I think they will make $150k per game tops.

The real payday games are when you can bus to a local big FBS and get paid big bucks for a one and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom