UMass Get Series with Mississippi State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass Get Series with Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
So you advocate that Warde shut down any talks with Auburn, Florida, Ohio St, etc. if they insist on 2 for 1 deals? Because "we are UConn". Do I have that right?

Good to see some of us live in the real world, I honestly don't know where the high and mighty attitude comes from on this board, last time I looked it wasn't the BC board.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Thankfully it hasn't! We are UConn and can get 1 for 1s. We have with Michigan, Missouri, Syracuse, Illinois, Indiana, Virginia, BYU, Boise St. (and maybe Tennessee) Once you start scheduling 2 for 1s, you will never get a decent home and home with any P5 school. Isn't the point to try to have good OOC opponents at the Rent to drive fan interest? Do you want to be a MAC schools that have only 5 home game in some years?

The Tennessee game isn't happening, I think we've all accepted that. The Michigan deal was signed in the dark ages. None of the other deals you mentioned are with elite teams that move the meter. Personally I would love to schedule 1 for 2's with any big school, much rather see them once in person and give me some place cool to visit once maybe twice. I never quite understood why we care about "even" deals, who cares? I would be happy if we signed a 0 for 5 deal with Alabama, as a fan who cares if they won't come here if I get to see my school play them every year?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would hope that mindset has changed with us stuck in AAC purgatory. I'd take a 2 for 1 with Ole Miss in a heartbeat.

Small time thinking is not the way to go. I wouldn't touch that at all. I think if you want big time you have to at least act the part. 2-1's don't give you big time feel, but more of a MAC feel.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Small time thinking is not the way to go. I wouldn't touch that at all. I think if you want big time you have to at least act the part. 2-1's don't give you big time feel, but more of a MAC feel.

How did 2-10 feel, big time? The AAC giving you a big time feel these days down in your toesies?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
How did 2-10 feel, big time? The AAC giving you a big time feel these days down in your toesies?

So to continue on that path is one that leads to success, I think not. No 2 for 1's unless you want to stay in a non factor

Reaction Score

I don't get this. You think Delaney and the B1G presidents are going to say "well we'd love to add UConn but they scheduled a 2 for 1 with Ole Miss"? Complete nonsense. If you want big time schools to come to the Rent you're gonna have to accept the reality of the AAC. Sure we'll get the Illinois, Indiana's, and UVA's but if you want the big time upper echelon schools to come you do a 2 for 1. Times are changing with the way P5 schools are scheduling.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UConn can continue to sign home and homes with the Indiana, Illinois, Syracuse, UVA types and that's great. Great for the fans and great for the program. But Jimmy is right: ain't no big time SEC program like Miss State (I feel weird typing that, by the way...aside: Dan Mullen is an incredible coach, eh?) coming here on a 1 and 1. We're either playing a 2 for 1 OR 1 and 1 and "our 1" being played at a designated venue outside of Connecticut. But hells yes, I would sign up for either arrangement.

Reaction Score
UConn can continue to sign home and homes with the Indiana, Illinois, Syracuse, UVA types and that's great. Great for the fans and great for the program. But Jimmy is right: ain't no big time SEC program like Miss State (I feel weird typing that, by the way...aside: Dan Mullen is an incredible coach, eh?) coming here on a 1 and 1. We're either playing a 2 for 1 OR 1 and 1 and "our 1" being played at a designated venue outside of Connecticut. But hells yes, I would sign up for either arrangement.

I say this as someone who was dead set against the terms that ND proposed for the series that never happened. And hindsight being 20/20, I was dead wrong.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I say this as someone who was dead set against the terms that ND proposed for the series that never happened. And hindsight being 20/20, I was dead wrong.

I wanted to take that 10 game deal but completely understood the backlash at the time. But yeah, a couple of high marque games in Boston or New York to look forward to every other year would be really sweet right about now.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Guys, we got mizzou home and home. It's not bama or lsu but it's better than Tennessee of late. Mizzou didn't have to give us a home game, but they did.

Right now, get all the 1 and 1s we can get. If we are still in the AAC in 10 years then go for the 2 for 1s.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Guys, we got mizzou home and home. It's not bama or lsu but it's better than Tennessee of late. Mizzou didn't have to give us a home game, but they did.

Right now, get all the 1 and 1s we can get. If we are still in the AAC in 10 years then go for the 2 for 1s.

Yeah, I forgot about Mizzou. Don't know why really, because I am heading out there for a long man weekend. KC/Den at Arrowhead on Thursday night; UConn/Mizzou on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Ouch...some of the comments are pretty harsh regarding my old alma mater. But it's your board so I will grin and bear it!! At least Whipple didn't call the game with Miss. St. a rivalry !:)

zing!

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Yeah, I forgot about Mizzou. Don't know why really, because I am heading out there for a long man weekend. KC/Den at Arrowhead on Thursday night; UConn/Mizzou on Saturday.

Same here.

Reaction Score
So you advocate that Warde shut down any talks with Auburn, Florida, Ohio St, etc. if they insist on 2 for 1 deals? Because "we are UConn". Do I have that right?

Yup. Once you accept 2 for 1s with any P5 team, everyone will expect it. UConn will play anyone home and home. If we have to do a "deal" with some top schools like Auburn, Florida, Ohio St., etc., I would accept a "home" game at Gillette or Met Life.

Reaction Score
Yup. Once you accept 2 for 1s with any P5 team, everyone will expect it. UConn will play anyone home and home. If we have to do a "deal" with some top schools like Auburn, Florida, Ohio St., etc., I would accept a "home" game at Gillette or Met Life.

And I'm the guy who doesn't want good teams coming to the Rent?

Reaction Score
I don't get this. You think Delaney and the B1G presidents are going to say "well we'd love to add UConn but they scheduled a 2 for 1 with Ole Miss"? Complete nonsense. If you want big time schools to come to the Rent you're gonna have to accept the reality of the AAC. Sure we'll get the Illinois, Indiana's, and UVA's but if you want the big time upper echelon schools to come you do a 2 for 1. Times are changing with the way P5 schools are scheduling.
....right now, with the current state of UConn football, scheduling Big Time when we can't prove that we would beat the mid-majors, I believe would be a waste. Show we can be competitive with the bottom 125 football programs, then worry about the "Big" time programs! We may or may not need to schedule 2 for 1's when that happens! Just my opinion!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
....right now, with the current state of UConn football, scheduling Big Time when we can't prove that we would beat the mid-majors, I believe would be a waste. Show we can be competitive with the bottom 125 football programs, then worry about the "Big" time programs! We may or may not need to schedule 2 for 1's when that happens! Just my opinion!
Problem is, to draw in those elusive "casual" fans it doesn't help to have a schedule full of non-name teams from random locations. I mean, not that Rutgers or Pitt was a "name" team or elite in any definition of the word, but they were familiar because they were from the northeast. Being competent against the AAC schedule would help a little, but probably not enough. And given that nonconference dates are made years in advance, you can't avoid or postpone quote-unquote Big Time games just because your record was poor the previous year (although we were so bad some P5 teams would be biased against scheduling UConn if they're thinking they'll be trying to get into the playoff).

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
By taking 2-1s not only do you relegate yourself to being a small time program... you accelerate the rate at which this is going to happen. It's just moronic.

Reaction Score
By taking 2-1s not only do you relegate yourself to being a small time program... you accelerate the rate at which this is going to happen. It's just moronic.

Well said. UMass football is in a tailspin and is doing anything to survive not being in a conference. Their days in FBS are numbered.

Reaction Score
I do see your point, but I don't believe scheduling some team in the top 25 or a major program is necessary. For example, scheduling WVU, VT, Indiana, Rutgers, Syracuse, etc. to me is better than scheduling a USC, MSU, Alabama where we would have to schedule a 2-1 which is likely to mean three straight years with zero wins against this particular opponent. This is something that the Huskies can't afford and would likely make matters worse when our fans can't afford to have another potential season without a bowl game. Imagine having them on our schedule and finishing the season 6-6 without a bowl invite. What would be said of the A.D. who signed off on this schedule?

Sure so for one game you get people to show up! But they are not showing up because of UConn but because of who we are playing. This IMO is not how you build up a strong supporting fan-base. ...and granted right now we could argue if we even have a fan-base??? However, if we continually produce losing seasons, we certainly wont have a fan-base. Again winning solves this issue. Okay so we don't like the AAC, but right now that is irrelevant. The UConn Huskies needing to win games is what is most important - scheduling a game that statistically we will be "likely" unmatched for is more crazy than developing a rivalry game. After all, I believe we have more of a chance successfully creating a rivalry than we do beating a powerhouse P5 program (1 in a million - REF "Dumb & Dumber"). And certainly until we can demonstrate that we can beat the bottom 125 FBS schools!

Reaction Score

Because not playing top programs just screams big time . . .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unless you have no choice, then it is reality. I think that is where UMass is. I applaud UMass' decision to upgrade the level of their football. Unfortunately, if we were a day late and a dollar short on our upgrade, then they are decade late and $1 million short.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Well said. UMass football is in a tailspin and is doing anything to survive not being in a conference. Their days in FBS are numbered.

You obviously don't live in the world of College Football 2015. Making 1 for 2 deals has zero to do with not being in a conference or days being numbered. It has everything to do with not being in the top tier of the Power 5. We are in the same boat.

And by the way, Missouri is NOT in the top tier of the Power 5 so that's why they can't make 2 for 1 deals. And before you jump down my throat and argue that point please realize it has NOTHING to do with on field performance, and everything to do with National stature and TV ratings. Tennesee is in that top tier, Mizzou is not. Illinois is not. Indiana is not. Virginia is not. BC is not (although please don't waste your breath trying to get them to realize that)

Reaction Score

You schedule these games years in advance (usually). Who the heck knows what we're going to be in 2019?

Reaction Score

I'm the guy who wants to play big time teams. You're the guy who wants to play Indiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom