UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I think they should try. And I was against before.

Why? Because the rates are there and we have gotten more used to Covid on campus. That and rapid testing.

I wonder if UConn is going to revisit. Hard with Lamont, but a 4-6 game schedule could probably be done. BYU, army, liberty. It is still only September.

As long as we are ok with last minute cancellations.
We easily could take advantage of these last minute cancellations to acquire future home and home series too. Houston got a H/H with Baylor. USF got the H/H with Notre Dame. UConn could've easily been ready to play on standby for leagues that had to postpone games- Army last Saturday is a great example. Just frustrating we were so quick to cancel yet seemingly have zero interest in re-visiting the issue now that it's clear we have found ways to play this fall.

Reaction Score
There's no comparison for us between basketball and football because we don't have a league in football. It's as simple as that.

This UMass experiment should be interesting. The only school in NE, NY, NJ and PA that they could possibly schedule is Army as a replacement for the cancelled BYU game. It's most likely UMass could throw together a last minute slate of BYU plus squeeze in a few Sun Belt, CUSA and southern FCS schools (similar to Army's schedule mix) for a partial schedule. Another possibility is that this is a pitch to the AAC with a goal of getting membership. The AAC has already had six games cancelled so maybe UMass could agree to be their on-call replacement. Perhaps make a similar offer to another conference or two - when you lose a game because one team has an outbreak just give us 7 days notice and we'll just put our guys on a plane as a fill-in. At this point whatever schedule they put together isn't going to be meaningful, so why not prostitute the team to gain conference membership (AAC) or future scheduling considerations (P5)?

That ship has sailed. The AAC will never allow UConn in as a partial member. The only football-only independent they would consider taking is BYU.

But, AAC teams would not be opposed to playing OOC games against UConn - now or in the future. It is not like you are on a. blacklist.

Reaction Score
Oh boy. UMass is more serious about football than UConn.

Absolutely no to restarting this fall for UConn. Randy and the players made that decision together. They rather lift weights and practice against each other or some nonsense like that. #RespectTheirDecision LOL

Reaction Score
UMass and Mass are more conservative than CT in regards to Covid and traveling restrictions. I get tested once per week with a turnaround time of 24hrs. Positivity rate is real low. UConn could find a way imo.

Reaction Score
If UConn doesn't find a way, this is a really bad look for the athletic department.

I've never been someone who claims UConn doesn't care about football, but if they don't play I will change my opinion completely.

Reaction Score
Mass requires 14 day quarantine for out of state travel except New England states, NY and NJ.

Reaction Score
That ship has sailed. The AAC will never allow UConn in as a partial member. The only football-only independent they would consider taking is BYU.

But, AAC teams would not be opposed to playing OOC games against UConn - now or in the future. It is not like you are on a. blacklist.
You misread my message. I was talking about UMass using it as a pitch for membership.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

This was a bold move by UMass this morning to shake out some games. They basically just hung a shingle to see who would call.

Maybe this nutty scheme works and they a little four game book together. Wouldnt surprise me though it it looked something like:

i) BYU in November (they have three of four weeks still open in November on their eight game schedule)
ii) Liberty <--has a ten game schedule, would they want to add another game?
iii) UConn <--nudge nudge nudge from Walt Bell to Randy.
iv) An FCS game
v) Wing and prayer backfill game somewhere in FBS on a whim.

So yeah, pretty much they could nail down BYU and after that who knows.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Quoting UMass to get info on UConn....

Drew

Reaction Score
UConn needs to issue a public statement. This is freaking ridiculous. Can’t cancel the season and be Ft Knox withholding information from media/fans. If I was trying to kill off a program- this is how I’d be doing it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn needs to issue a public statement. This is freaking ridiculous. Can’t cancel the season and be Ft Knox withholding information from media/fans. If I was trying to kill off a program- this is how I’d be doing it.
I wouldn't expect one today....but seems like they have to respond sometime this week either with a statement or some quotes for select media. I understand the team has a meeting on Wednesday, maybe something comes out Wed/Thurs.

Last edited:

Drew

Reaction Score

Meanwhile UConn will hold two closed door scrimmages with no spring game and not let their fan base see the team play for two years- sick!!!

Drew

Reaction Score
It’s actually hysterical that we have a young team in need of development and have a chance to play multiple games without anyone losing eligibility and instead we’re like “nah we’re just gonna practice a few days a week instead”

Reaction Score
Mass requires 14 day quarantine for out of state travel except New England states, NY and NJ.
In Massachusetts you can visit if you pass a COVID test within 72 hours of arrival in the state and you do not need to quarantine. Since almost all football teams are being tested multiple times weekly, the state travel ban is not a roadblock to playing college football.

Reaction Score
In Massachusetts you can visit if you pass a COVID test within 72 hours of arrival in the state and you do not need to quarantine. Since almost all football teams are being tested multiple times weekly, the state travel ban is not a roadblock to playing college football.
I was told otherwise lol! Wouldn’t be the first time I have received UMass info from the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I was told otherwise lol! Wouldn’t be the first time I have received UMass info from the Boneyard.

COVID-19 Travel Order
All visitors entering Massachusetts, including returning residents, who do not meet an exemption, are required to:
  • Complete the Massachusetts Travel Form prior to arrival, unless you are visiting from a lower-risk state designated by the Department of Public Health.
  • Quarantine for 14 days or produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts.
If your COVID-19 test result has not been received prior to arrival, visitors, and residents must quarantine until they receive a negative test result.
Failure to comply may result in a $500 fine per day.
Please find more information below, including the list of lower-risk states, exemptions, business guidance and other details.

Reaction Score
The university continues to require a 14-day quarantine of all travelers returning from an international or high-risk domestic destination without an option to substitute a negative COVID-19 test result in place of a quarantine. This would apply to UMass but could quarantine or file for an exemption I reckon.

Reaction Score
Ok well if UMASS can make it work, no reason UCONN can't with a bigger athletic budget.

Reaction Score
Whether UConn plays or not this year there is not much effect to the next 5 years in the plan for football. There just isn't much reward in playing this year, so why take the deeper financial loss and the higher health risk?

Covid is unfortunate, but UConn sitting this one out makes some sense.

Basketball is different as there is revenue and a championship to play for, so there is at least some tangible reward for the risk. Basketball should cover its costs and this season is key to the rebuild.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom