UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
How many UConn players would trade places with UMass playes this season? Likely most.

Either way, you have no idea of the correct answer.

Reaction Score
IDK- getting shellacked in a faux season even when you are the bottom program of 130 is difficult to “build on.”

wow
Football players like to play football. Football players line up every week because they believe they always have a chance even when out manned. The only thing worse than getting shellacked it not having a chance to beat the odds.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Football players like to play football. Football players line up every week because they believe they always have a chance even when out manned. The only thing worse than getting shellacked it not having a chance to beat the odds.
Generally I agree with your POV....probably true for the vast majority of programs in the vast majority of situations. Our situation however might be unique. Regardless, its all academic, Fresno will tell us something and by mid October 2021 we'll know if taking 2020 off was the right decision.

Reaction Score
Generally I agree with your POV....probably true for the vast majority of programs in the vast majority of situations. Our situation however might be unique. Regardless, its all academic, Fresno will tell us something and by mid October 2021 we'll know if taking 2020 off was the right decision.
UMass couldn't lose money playing . That was the deal. They don't even fund FCS level scholarships.

Reaction Score
Haven't read all the posts so maybe this has been said, but isn't the "Ned Factor" the major reason UConn is sitting this season out?

The gov's travel ban (14 day quarantine requirement actually) just keeps getting longer and longer. A November 10 press release said the only states not banned are NY, NJ and RI. Not a lot of schools to choose from for games and aren't RU and Syracuse committed to league only games?

Reaction Score
Haven't read all the posts so maybe this has been said, but isn't the "Ned Factor" the major reason UConn is sitting this season out?

The gov's travel ban (14 day quarantine requirement actually) just keeps getting longer and longer. A November 10 press release said the only states not banned are NY, NJ and RI. Not a lot of schools to choose from for games and aren't RU and Syracuse committed to league only games?
I would call that an excuse. Recommendations have gotten more strict recently because the virus is raging. We’ll see how the BB goes. Hope they find a way. Positivity rates and spread much more dire today than August.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure there are not a lot of sports where athletes ever benefit from sitting out an entire year of real game competition. You can train and practice all you want, but the term "rusty" always comes to mind.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure there are not a lot of sports where athletes ever benefit from sitting out an entire year of real game competition. You can train and practice all you want, but the term "rusty" always comes to mind.
Hope they know how to hit and tackle. Haven’t seen them in full pads maybe afraid of injuries. New way of practicing and defense is pretty bad or it is almost all offense in football today.

Reaction Score
I would call that an excuse. Recommendations have gotten more strict recently because the virus is raging. We’ll see how the BB goes. Hope they find a way. Positivity rates and spread much more dire today than August.
This virus is firing up again like the early spring. Be safe Yarders

Reaction Score
This virus is firing up again like the early spring. Be safe Yarders
Not looking good....the students might be home sooner than they planned.. and I’m thinking they won’t be going back in January at this rate.. I’m depressing myself.. I need the damn vaccine now!!

Reaction Score
Uconn now has a few dorms under quarantine. A lot of speculation about Halloween Parties accelerating the spread for colleges. Possibly related to this week's cancelations? Who knows? The numbers of players and staff and the difficulty in creating a "bubble" for college athletes makes these teams more susceptible to macro trends in their areas on and off campus. Can't see any league quitting now but no outcomes are off the table. With the exception of the SEC. Forging ahead with blinders.

C

Chief00

Absolutely and they almost all feel that way - and I only say “almost” as a CYA because I don’t personally know of any who don’t feel that way.

C

Chief00

Proof how badly UMass needs a new stadium to have any hope. And the hope is there.
UMass is in the symbolic football arena and other schools respect that.
Whatever Covid issues UConn currently has, keep in mind it’s without football. Playing football would not influence it one way or another, if you believe in contact tracing results.

C

Chief00

If football was more of a factor at UConn, it would be one of the poorest sports decisions UConn ever made. Dave will probably never acknowledge it publicly but he realizes now the depths to how much they screwed up. Only about 25% of games have been canceled or postponed - so it’s 3 to 1 odds in favor. You are not going to be successful in any way taking guidance from the CT Health Dept. No one has screwed up more than those bureaucrats.

Reaction Score
If football was more of a factor at UConn, it would be one of the poorest sports decisions UConn ever made. Dave will probably never acknowledge it publicly but he realizes now the depths to how much they screwed up. Only about 25% of games have been canceled or postponed - so it’s 3 to 1 odds in favor. You are not going to be successful in any way taking guidance from the CT Health Dept. No one has screwed up more than those bureaucrats.
Liberty played a pretty good schedule including 3ACC teams. I get it that it didn’t make good business sense. We’ll see about BB since they will be getting TV revenue.

Reaction Score
UMass is in the symbolic football arena and other schools respect that.
Whatever Covid issues UConn currently has, keep in mind it’s without football. Playing football would not influence it one way or another, if you believe in contact tracing results.
4th oldest FBS program and there's more room for growth in the New England market. Not everyone cares for BC. Should be an easy sell.

BC didn't want competition. Now they know that mentality can backfire one day. Basketball programs are going to be mentioned quite a bit by media outlets going forward.

Heck, I found SEC Shorts has mentioned our football program twice in their videos so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom