UEFA Euro Championship 2024 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UEFA Euro Championship 2024

Reaction Score
Our problem is our youth are instructed to win, not play the right way and develop technical skills. Kind of like why we’re seeing great Euro basketball players in the NBA. The wins come at the senior level, youth is for development

Reaction Score
Our problem is our youth are instructed to win, not play the right way and develop technical skills. Kind of like why we’re seeing great Euro basketball players in the NBA. The wins come at the senior level, youth is for development
I don't know if I see it that way. Our youth coach told the kids earl on they would lose a fair amount because they are focusing on the fundamental skills and strategy. They'll go into a game passing and moving the ball but then if the other team just kicks and runs, we lose. I almost feel like it would be similar to our kids going to europe to play basketball. The kids over there would be great shooters with technical ability, but our kids would be street balling them off the court. I don't know.

What is your avatar?

Reaction Score
My avatar is an old Tottenham crest.
And we get a proper Euro final with the 2 best teams in the tournament and electricity all over the field. Appointment viewing on Sunday

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Jeez, Netherlands had one favor to do for me today, just one. England came back like Spain and was the stronger team. Should be a good finals match on Sunday, assuming Spain win (I like seeing Pickford get mad ^_^).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My avatar is an old Tottenham crest.
And we get a proper Euro final with the 2 best teams in the tournament and electricity all over the field. Appointment viewing on Sunday
England seems to finally be waking up to the reality that if they apply pressure and take some shots, they will be hard to beat. From what I saw, Foden was excellent early on. He‘s too often been invisible out there. In the last match they had a corner and played it all the way back to the keeper, that’s just pathetic.

Should be a great match Sunday.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Really nice finish by Watkins. Maybe Southgate is getting a little brave. Taking Kane off.
He took Kane off last match too. Probably should always be subbed after 70 minutes or so.

Reaction Score
Really nice finish by Watkins. Maybe Southgate is getting a little brave. Taking Kane off.
I heard the announcer say the defender can't let the guy shoot through his legs, but I'm not sure there's much more the defender could have done. Most offensive players probably would have turned and tried to fake the defender once or twice. Watkins just turned and shot with the defender right on him. I don't even know if he had a chance to look at the goal. One touch and then a shot. Through the defender's legs, just past the keepers outstretched arm, just inside the post. Brilliant.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I heard the announcer say the defender can't let the guy shoot through his legs, but I'm not sure there's much more the defender could have done. Most offensive players probably would have turned and tried to fake the defender once or twice. Watkins just turned and shot with the defender right on him. I don't even know if he had a chance to look at the goal. One touch and then a shot. Through the defender's legs, just past the keepers outstretched arm, just inside the post. Brilliant.
I can't tell you how annoying it is when some of these guys dribble away a scoring chance in the box. Watkins did exactly the right thing. Put a ball on net, hard. You never know what may happen. Deflections can lead to a good second shot. It's what I thought Foden finally did well in that match, he took some shots, good ones. Previous matches he just dribbled until he lost the ball.

Reaction Score
I can't tell you how annoying it is when some of these guys dribble away a scoring chance in the box. Watkins did exactly the right thing. Put a ball on net, hard. You never know what may happen. Deflections can lead to a good second shot. It's what I thought Foden finally did well in that match, he took some shots, good ones. Previous matches he just dribbled until he lost the ball.
I agree, the quick shot is the best chance to catch players out of position or off guard, and many goals are scored on deflections and rebounds. Although a select few like Messi have the ball on a short string.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He took Kane off last match too. Probably should always be subbed after 70 minutes or so.
HK is silently nursing a leg injury - the English papers and press have been downplaying this for a while.
I agree that his minutes should be capped, his stamina is not where it always was prior to this recent tournament.
Watkins movement before taking the match winner is something that should be taught to every front-line player. Swift and magical.

Reaction Score
Pretty good final. I wasn't going to give the final away in case some haven't watched it yet. I was expecting one more last minute goal but it was not meant to be. I'm happy with the outcome.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Pickford kept the game closer than it should have been. Spain was the complete package in all their games. I hope Morata goes back to Serie A. The guy catches a lot of unwarranted flak, but he represents well, and I enjoyed seeing him play for Juventus.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pretty good final. I wasn't going to give the final away in case some haven't watched it yet. I was expecting one more last minute goal but it was not meant to be. I'm happy with the outcome.
That sequence of two solid headers on net late from England was pretty exciting stuff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if this is kane's last tournament playing a big role
He’s still a classic target striker, but I really just don’t think that’s what this England squad needs most up front. They have to press more, find ways to win balls. Saka was probably their most effective offensive player. Instead of starting him he’d be better as a late sub.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He’s still a classic target striker, but I really just don’t think that’s what this England squad needs most up front. They have to press more, find ways to win balls. Saka was probably their most effective offensive player. Instead of starting him he’d be better as a late sub.
Yeah, Kane seemed way off this tournament. And like Gerrard and Lampard, Foden and Bellingham don't seem to work that well together.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah, Kane seemed way off this tournament. And like Gerrard and Lampard, Foden and Bellingham don't seem to work that well together.
Foden was way too deferential to Bellingham for much of the tournament. They were trying to force the ball to him like the US sometimes does with CP. They need to figure that out. He's a hell of a decoy. They need Foden breaking down guys because they don't have enough guys (Saka) who win one on one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Live watching England suffer. Making it to the final and losing makes it sweeter.
For me it's not so much England as Pickford. Love seeing him lose. And as much as I like Ian Darke, he went full Tommy Heimsohn in the second half. I'd never heard such a homer call in soccer before.

Reaction Score
For me it's not so much England as Pickford. Love seeing him lose. And as much as I like Ian Darke, he went full Tommy Heimsohn in the second half. I'd never heard such a homer call in soccer before.

England homers are worse than SEC homers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom