UCONN's Treasure - Andy Baylock | The Boneyard

UCONN's Treasure - Andy Baylock

Reaction Score
Many of you are probably not aware of UCONN's Andy Baylock. He came to UCONN in 1964 from East Catholic High School in Manchester to become UCONN's freshman football coach for Rick Forzano. I was fortunate enough to have him as my coach in 1966. After 59 years he is still an active member of the UCONN football staff. Along the way, he was also the head baseball coach at UCONN for many years. He is being honored August 31st at the NC State game at the Rent. He is the honorary game captain and will lead the huskies onto the field. He will also be meeting close to 200 former husky football players that will be coming to the Rent from around the US to honor Andy. You can find more information about Andy at Andy Baylock There is another thread on the Boneyard about the worst coach you ever had - go to this link Messages To Andy to see what former UCONN football players have to say about the best coach they ever had.

Reaction Score
Andy is one of those glue guys that inhabit athletic departments around the country. He is a UConn lifer who has always put the needs of the university first. He was also a very good baseball coach for many years, nice to see him get some recognition.

Reaction Score
Many of you are probably not aware of UCONN's Andy Baylock. He came to UCONN in 1964 from East Catholic High School in Manchester to become UCONN's freshman football coach for Rick Forzano. I was fortunate enough to have him as my coach in 1966. After 59 years he is still an active member of the UCONN football staff. Along the way, he was also the head baseball coach at UCONN for many years. He is being honored August 31st at the NC State game at the Rent. He is the honorary game captain and will lead the huskies onto the field. He will also be meeting close to 200 former husky football players that will be coming to the Rent from around the US to honor Andy. You can find more information about Andy at Andy Baylock There is another thread on the Boneyard about the worst coach you ever had - go to this link Messages To Andy to see what former UCONN football players have to say about the best coach they ever had.
Thanks for this post.
Coach deserves any and all accolades coming to him. To say he's a "Good Man" is a vast understatement.
And thanks to Coach for organizing and recognizing the 50 Year reunion of the 1973 Championship Team during the upcoming FIU game on Sept. 16. He forgets no one.

Reaction Score
One of the best! The accolades from his former players are amazing. I had the chance to read some. He’s been a mentor over many years to his “kids”. He remembers everyone’s name and even specific incidents that happened decades ago. it’s humbling to read the reverence in which they hold this man, realizing your own book would, sadly, fail to measure up.

Reaction Score
I’m good friends with Tom Capalbo who played baseball for Coach in the late 70s early 80s and he can’t say enough about him as a coach but even more about him as a man, person and friend.

Well deserved!

Reaction Score
The absolute best! Coach B deserves all this and more. Thanks for everything you're doing to honor him, Kenny. Your hard work does not go unnoticed!

Reaction Score
Andy Baylock and Dee Rowe were a great ambassador combination when Rowe was still with us. Great to see the two of them together at various events.
I always associate Andy and Dee. They both exhibit selfless attitude for UConn and the students. Many people from other schools have ultimate respect for both.

Reaction Score
I was just on the Eastern Connecticut State University baseball website, and saw the Andy Baylock listed as a volunteer assistant coach for the ECSU baseball team. I'm sure his chief duty is throwing batting practice. Andy Baylock certainly still gets around, even as he gets older.

Reaction Score
Andy looks younger than most 85 year old men. I am sure that his constant activity has helped. As Coach Mora says, "don't let the old man in."

Reaction Score
Geez Andy never ages! Great to see him surrounded by all the guys he coached. He had tears in his eyes when he was presented with some momentos prior to the game. When they honored him on the video board in the 4th quarter he was in a familiar place, standing on the 5 yard line next to AD Dave. Knowing Andy, he was probably the one who nixed the idea of him walking onto the field.

It was never about him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom