UConn's Self-Reported NCAA Violation Involving Kyrie Irving | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Self-Reported NCAA Violation Involving Kyrie Irving

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
No, you really wouldn't. To begin with, the list would be ridiculously long, and the regulations obscure. I know a few of Rutgers' violations.

The oddest I specifically know of involved the time Rutgers was playing at Seton Hall and a prospective recruit's mother walked up to CVS and gave her a hug. Seton Hall promptly reported Rutgers for the unauthorized contact with the recruit's (Essence Carson) mother. Another involved giving the fan club a tour of the locker room at which time a locker was set up with a fake jersey, etc. for a prospective recruit (who went elsewhere, eventually). Rutgers gave permission to a player (Tasha Pointer, I think) to play in a summer league game without NCAA authorization. A player went to a WNBA game on the fan club bus during the summer prior to her freshman year (she paid her own way). And yes, the same sort of "dead period" stuff, IIRC. Also excessive practices, at one time. And Vivian was suspended a game by the NCAA once, I don't remember what she did.

As several have said, every program has them, and I suppose most self-report them, because the punishments are generally mild, as the violations are minor.

I do find truth in what Raoul was complaining about, as those sort of violations seem to occur frequently across the WBB landscape and are just inexplicable. As others say, there are whole departments whose sole job is to keep the coaches in line.

That was kind of my point. Every program has these violations, despite compliance folks existing to babysit coaches, so why passive aggressively call out CD and JL? If your beef is with the system (read: the NCAA), then direct the frustrations there, but calling out one coach from one program in a sea of violations is petty.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure what the correct adjective is but it is something that one of the recruits that went to Geno's house went to UConn and the other...went to Tennessee. Hmmm.

Reaction Score
This should not surprise. Uconn men’s and women's programs recruiting tactics are nothing short of relentless over the years. Relentless can be a positive or a negative trait. There is also risk vs reward here. I can imagine a Compliance department will provide an opinion and the coach’s will way the penalty vs the reward. Is a letter and then losing 3 days of recruiting a-big enough penalty to deter certain behavior? In some cases no. Not if in the end you get your guy/woman. You can’t be this good for this long without being relentless.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This should not surprise. Uconn men’s and women's programs recruiting tactics are nothing short of relentless over the years. Relentless can be a positive or a negative trait. There is also risk vs reward here. I can imagine a Compliance department will provide an opinion and the coach’s will way the penalty vs the reward. Is a letter and then losing 3 days of recruiting a-big enough penalty to deter certain behavior? In some cases no. Not if in the end you get your guy/woman. You can’t be this good for this long without being relentless.
BS! There has never been a recruit that has caused or will cause UCONN to intentionally break recruiting rules.

Reaction Score
That's just silly. He and his staff committed violations, they are being penalized in the normal way, and hopefully they will be more careful in the future. Really no excuse for those kind of violations.

Really? No excuse? The Irving violation specifically noted it was a scheduling issue (expected him to be gone when recruits arrived). And immediately after it occurred Geno asked if it was a possible violation. Think you are being a bit harsh.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Really? No excuse? The Irving violation specifically noted it was a scheduling issue (expected him to be gone when recruits arrived). And immediately after it occurred Geno asked if it was a possible violation. Think you are being a bit harsh.
Think you are equivocating a bit too much. Specific to the violation for the dead period. There is no excuse for not one but two UCONN WBB coaches to be evaluating not one, not two but three different prospects during a dead period.

Reaction Score
Since NONE of us here know any more than what was specifically written (as in we don't know exactly what/how the player "evaluation" occurred), it seems many here are quick to cast the first stone.

For all we know, there was a high school tournament and TV coverage and Chris and Jaza watched the game together in the Werth Center.

Reaction Score
Think you are equivocating a bit too much. Specific to the violation for the dead period. There is no excuse for not one but two UCONN WBB coaches to be evaluating not one, not two but three different prospects during a dead period.

Agreed. But I was responding to a statement that categorical stated there was no excuse for any of the violations. Like you, I don’t understand the dead period violation.

Reaction Score
Since NONE of us here know any more than what was specifically written (as in we don't know exactly what/how the player "evaluation" occurred), it seems many here are quick to cast the first stone.

For all we know, there was a high school tournament and TV coverage and Chris and Jaza watched the game together in the Werth Center.

No, we know that is not the case - since UConn self-reported violations. Watching anything on TV is not a violation.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But I was responding to a statement that categorical stated there was no excuse for any of the violations. Like you, I don’t understand the dead period violation.

Actually the post you responded to did not say "there was no excuse for any of the violations". That was your interpretation - and it was incorrect.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For all we know,
there was a high school tournament and TV coverage and Chris and Jaza watched the game together in the Werth Center.

A dead period violation requires "in-person recruiting contacts" with a prospect.
See the definitions on the right side of the calendar.
1578089392668.png

Reaction Score
Actually the post you responded to did not say "there was no excuse for any of these violations". That was your interpretation - and it was incorrect.

Not a reach on my part. The post said “really no excuse for those kind of violations.” I stand by my interpretation.

Reaction Score
Funny you used that one. We got in trouble at the college I coached at for doing precisely that - We provided butter and cream cheese with the allowed bagels. We were not aware that was a violation. The NCAA has thousands of rules, some even dumber, and it is almost not possible to violate one. I had parents of a kid I had coached in High School see me in public and stopped to say hi. I was accused of improper recruiting even though I had coached all their kids and they were friends of mine for over 20 years! I didn't even know they had a kid who was being recruited at the time.

Reaction Score
So many perfect people on this board at times. Coaches get in trouble at times for just taking the spouce out to dinner on a day off and someone walks up to them at their table and says hello and someone reports that they saw you talking to so-and so's parent when you shouldn't. You might actually have no idea who they are!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So many perfect people on this board at times. Coaches get in trouble at times for just taking the spouse out to dinner on a day off and someone walks up to them at their table and says hello and someone reports that they saw you talking to so-and so's parent when you shouldn't. You might actually have no idea who they are!
I doubt there are any perfect people here but I'm sure there are many misinformed ones. Bagels with Jelly & Cream cheese has not been an issue since 2014 when the NCAA started allowing "unlimited" snacks. Your other examples are equally absurd. Not saying hello to a prospective SA, especially ones you coached previously would be extremely rude. The NCAA allows you to say hello-just don't talk about recruiting. I'm not sure why someone would want to talk to a college coach while taking their spouse out to dinner but this is yet another absurd example. If you are still determined to irate your own spouse in this way the same rule applies-just don't talk about recruiting...while you are bothering that coach trying to finish his meal... probably with his or her own spouse. What makes the rules "almost not possible to violate one" is if you don't know the rules in the first place.

Reaction Score
I doubt there are any perfect people here but I'm sure there are many misinformed ones. Bagels with Jelly & Cream cheese has not been an issue since 2014 when the NCAA started allowing "unlimited" snacks. Your other examples are equally absurd. Not saying hello to a prospective SA, especially ones you coached previously would be extremely rude. The NCAA allows you to say hello-just don't talk about recruiting. I'm not sure why someone would want to talk to a college coach while taking their spouse out to dinner but this is yet another absurd example. If you are still determined to irate your own spouse in this way the same rule applies-just don't talk about recruiting...while you are bothering that coach trying to finish his meal... probably with his or her own spouse. What makes the rules "almost not possible to violate one" is if you don't know the rules in the first place.
I do know the bagel thing was used by the incoming head of the NCAA as something dumb (it was). I'm sure there have been some other changes since I retired in 2013. To say things that happened to me are absurd yes they were. Some people get a kick out of trying to make a big deal when they see things they perceive as violations which were not (observers usually have no idea what is being said at chance meetings for example). My point is that with the thousands of rules like most of the ones self reported it can be fairly easy to miss one honestly. I sat through a couple of those training sessions - not fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom