UCONN's problems went beyond injuries last season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN's problems went beyond injuries last season

Reaction Score
I agree with everything said in this thread. All valid points. I would like to expand on your tOSU comment. The team didn't implement the plan for the press because she was sitting on the bench in foul trouble. During the season whenever UConn had some trouble with the press, Edwards would position herself in the backcourt near the mid-court line and this was almost always effective at breaking the press. But you can't do that while sitting on the bench. Nobody stepped up to do that job, probably because UConn doesn't practice that exact situation, i.e. how to break the press when Edwards is on the bench with foul trouble.
She was sitting on the bench because she wasn't playing disciplines ball. She made the same mistake three times in that game and without her they lacked their physical presence.

Reaction Score
A lot of teams have great players but lack that one with the killer instinct. UConn was lucky to go about 8 years where they had that player but hit a patch after Stewie where that player was missing or not available. This year they have all the parts needed to win every type of game which opens the door for number 12 at season's end.

No matter how much talent you have on your team you always have a couple games where you need that player. When she is needed Paige is that player. They also have a ton of other players that are very very good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pretty interesting article critical of the team last season.

The Huskies admit they lacked accountability and became comfortable with excuse-making.
Yet if anyone on this board suggested anything close to the above last season they were pilloried. I love the vindication. Let's see them walk the talk this year. Calling lack of effort "emotional fatigue" doesn't help things.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
While many opine on the reason(s) for last year's season, it is now history. You can't change it. Let it rest.

None of us were there in the locker room, in the practices. Geno, CD and company were. They know what must transpire for this season. And I believe that as of now, so do the players.

So bring it on. Let's play some hoops.

Reaction Score
There’s a difference between reasons and excuses. No coach or player made any excuses last season. But reasons were easy to see. Fatigue was obviously one of them. The instability of the lineup was another. The folks here accusing the rest of us of making excuses need to remember this distinction. And one other thing worth remembering is that the discussion of reasons came about this off-season in response to the frequent claims that the defeat was one player’s fault.

So yes, let’s focus on the season to come, and not hear anymore bickering about fault and blame. 23-24 is going to be an excellent year. You heard it here first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom