UCONN's problems went beyond injuries last season | The Boneyard

UCONN's problems went beyond injuries last season

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Pretty interesting article critical of the team last season.

The Huskies admit they lacked accountability and became comfortable with excuse-making.

In UConn’s final regular season game this past March, it put up an uninspired effort, beating a Xavier team without a single Big East win by just nine points.

Afterward, Geno Auriemma ripped into his team.

“There’s a reason why the last 10 games have been the way they’ve been and it has nothing to do with fatigue. We used that long enough. That story’s sailed,” he said. “Now, it’s just being held accountable for doing what you’re being coached to do, not what you feel like doing. Not what feels right for you at the moment.”

He continued: “We don’t think very well. We don’t speak on defense. We don’t communicate. That’s got nothing to do with tired or being injured. That has to do with a lot of selfishness and a lot of you don’t want to change. This is who you are and you don’t want to change
.”

That is the first paragraph of the article. There was a lot of talk last season about how the team was tired and worn out and just couldn't do what they needed due to fatigue, but it seems like they have come to realize that a part of that was excuses. Fortunately the team has a completely different mindset this season.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Sometimes, Geno uses the media to send messages to players or the team, even if it is to get them to pay attention. This past March, however, there was something in the way and what he said that made me thought, hmmm, there's some truth to this, and not just a media poke. I was hoping to be wrong, but alas, we saw what happened. What is apparent from this latest article, that players looked in the mirror and at each other, and realized that there were some issues. That's growth.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

The Huskies admit they lacked accountability and became comfortable with excuse-making.

In UConn’s final regular season game this past March, it put up an uninspired effort, beating a Xavier team without a single Big East win by just nine points.

“There’s a reason why the last 10 games have been the way they’ve been and it has nothing to do with fatigue. We used that long enough. That story’s sailed,” he said. “Now, it’s just being held accountable for doing what you’re being coached to do, not what you feel like doing. Not what feels right for you at the moment.”

He continued: “We don’t think very well. We don’t speak on defense. We don’t communicate. That’s got nothing to do with tired or being injured. That has to do with a lot of selfishness and a lot of you don’t want to change. This is who you are and you don’t want to change
.”

That is the first paragraph of the article. There was a lot of talk last season about how the team was tired and worn out and just couldn't do what they needed due to fatigue, but it seems like they have come to realize that a part of that was excuses. Fortunately the team has a completely different mindset this season.
I think there’s truth to both sides. Physical fatigue would be a legitimate excuse, except that last year I argued, as I always have, that the body can be trained to physically endure much more than what happens in a basketball game and season. I also point to the example of ND winning a championship in an injury filled season with essentially six players.

However, mental fatigue is something that can thwart a basketball season. The fatigue of the college season plus the fatigue of line ups ever changing in response to revolving injuries led to declining performance. Unlike physical fatigue, mental fatigue is something you can potentially overcome, hence Auriemma’s comments about excuses.

It should be noted though that Auriemma’s tone and opinions at the end of last season differs from his tone at the beginning of this one. It also should be noted that Auriemma is credited as being a master motivator that knows which buttons to press at what time.

Jim

Reaction Score
When put under stress, people often revert to their “base” state and do what has worked for them in the past. Prior to UConn nearly all of these players were their teams’ go-to player when a bucket was needed. So when fatigue and stress built up, we saw a lot of one-on-one plays and less UConn trademark team basketball. The key going forward is to ensure the UConn way is the “base” state. With a deeper bench, Geno will be able to substitute for players falling into old bad habits and remind them about what he expects. So, yes, it was players doing things their way, but I do think fatigue was a contributing factor.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
When put under stress, people often revert to their “base” state and do what has worked for them in the past. Prior to UConn nearly all of these players were their teams’ go-to player when a bucket was needed. So when fatigue and stress built up, we saw a lot of one-on-one plays and less UConn trademark team basketball. The key going forward is to ensure the UConn way is the “base” state. With a deeper bench, Geno will be able to substitute for players falling into old bad habits and remind them about what he expects. So, yes, it was players doing things their way, but I do think fatigue was a contributing factor.
I like this better than my response.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sometimes, Geno uses the media to send messages to players or the team, even if it is to get them to pay attention. This past March, however, there was something in the way and what he said that made me thought, hmmm, there's some truth to this, and not just a media poke. I was hoping to be wrong, but alas, we saw what happened. What is apparent from this latest article, that players looked in the mirror and at each other, and realized that there were some issues. That's growth.
You are correct - he does that occasionally but... To me this wasn't Geno using the media. Those comments to the team after the Xavier game were not in front of the media. And it's not like he was being interviewed and said that stuff...

I do think mental fatigue was an issue as well - so little room for error, lack of ability to sub, the injuries, etc. all had to weigh on the team. Maybe Geno just couldn't figure out the right buttons to push last season. It's not like we ever have to deal with so much injury adversity on a regular basis...

I remember reading after the tOSU game that the coaches had a game plan for the press and the team just wasn't implementing it. Or something like that. Anyway I know most of us have turned the page, but that article just came out and i figured it was worth posting...

Reaction Score
It was nearly all due to fatigue and injuries. Super teams get stretched to an occassional bad game (and this was not a super team especially when Azzi went down. So, ofc more inconsistency will pop up..). A let up game. These college kids are not pros. They aren't going to be near as perfect as pros. Their very nature being as young as they are will show larger gaps of consistency/inconsistency. So, wIth all the injuries they had resulting in the fatigue they had sustained - realistically they are going to have letdown games. Geno is just doing his job in that he doesn't want to hear it. And because by their very nature of not being pros - they are going to be inconsistent on occassion (yes's it's true they are human too!). So, it's right to say "not all was injury/fatigue" --- but realistically 99% of it was.

It's not my job to coach - so I can look at things realistically. As a coach he wants to demand perfection - an unrealistic goal. He can insist upon it. I don't have to. I know they always won't be. Part of the reason why sports is such fun. Not everything is perfect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn players are human and as true to all humans , they will have a tendency to falter from their normal functions as players. My opinion is that ONE time in 28 years they proved they were human and are being analyzed to death. As much as I love Uconn's players , I will cut them a little slack and know that it will not happen again in another 28 years. I believe in this team with all my heart and will watch them put any naysayers to rest as they will be the Uconn of old. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
I am sure it was a combination of both. When you have all those injuries, then the mind can play tricks on you and lead to the cards are stacked against us and there is no way to overcome so nothing I do can fix that. Result is mediocrity and excuses due to loss in confidence and belief. They are humans.

Reaction Score

.”

The one who left it all on the court night after night was Lou. Especially in March. We needed a few more players to step up and it didn’t happen. I think this year will be a much different story. No excuses, just win. :)

Reaction Score
I think there’s truth to both sides. Physical fatigue would be a legitimate excuse, except that last year I argued, as I always have, that the body can be trained to physically endure much more than what happens in a basketball game and season. I also point to the example of ND winning a championship in an injury filled season with essentially six players.

However, mental fatigue is something that can thwart a basketball season. The fatigue of the college season plus the fatigue of line ups ever changing in response to revolving injuries led to declining performance. Unlike physical fatigue, mental fatigue is something you can potentially overcome, hence Auriemma’s comments about excuses.

It should be noted though that Auriemma’s tone and opinions at the end of last season differs from his tone at the beginning of this one. It also should be noted that Auriemma is credited as being a master motivator that knows which buttons to press at what time.
That's all this is is motivation. Nothing more.

As far as ND -- their 6 were a lot healthier at the end than than the UCONN 6. I would say UCONN would have had legit championship contention if their 6 of Nika, Azzi, Lou, Aubrey, Jorka, and Edwards were as healthy as the Notre Dame 6.

Reaction Score
I'm with @diggerfoot. The fatigue factor -- especially mental and emotional fatigue -- was real and in my lucid moments I can weigh its role in the collapse. But Geno also needs to motivate, especially now at the beginning of a new campaign. It's easier to leave the shame and recriminations of a bad season behind if you let all the excuses (valid or not) go. I imagine his tone will alternate between tough guy and gentle mockery -- tough guy for Nika and Aaliyah and Ayanna and Ice and Amari and Aubrey and Qadence -- the tough kids -- and gentle mockery for Paige and Azzi and Ashlynn and KK and Caroline and Inês, because they're already much too tough on themselves.

Reaction Score

.”

Sickness, injuries of special people definitely was a PART of the results. The RESULT was also seen in their inability to handle pressing and aggressive teams---that's not new with this particular group. We've seen this before.
Geno recruits "a particular i.e. certain type of personality---with talent. That personality at times is a detriment to the results expected.
Arizona showed that up a few years ago. Baylor and others used what they saw in this team. Uconn EXPECTS to win. When they don't see that happening--they become a different team.
In top Uconn teams of the past, the winners, had talent and often found themselves trailing--that was when they dug down to their inner spirit and said ---you won't beat this team--and proved it.
I'm reluctant to say this because Geno has upteen Final 4's and 200 National Championships---however--EVERY COACH has the honor of leading a Winning team--AND the responsibility, the team not prepared, for the game that they lost at the end of SEASON.

Those players that beat Uconn--Geno may not have recruited them--nuff sed.

Reaction Score
I am sure it was a combination of both. When you have all those injuries, then the mind can play tricks on you and lead to the cards are stacked against us and there is no way to overcome so nothing I do can fix that. Result is mediocrity and excuses due to loss in confidence and belief. They are humans.
When a team loses a Paige, Azzi, and they rely on Caroline and she delivers they aren't fine, but they --get it done. When Caroline is IFFY and the team hasn't got the usual GO T0 player--their whole game is turned upside down. This has to be address AND fixed in practice. Without Paige or Nika or Azzi--or Lou--who carries the team--who makes the score that MUST be scored--Caroline did that until Brain Damage got into her head. Not Damaged just the belief of its possibility
In the times of when losing gets into the heads of his team--the Master Of Motivation must prove his title.

Reaction Score

Your first paragraph is correct. Those 18 to 25 year old Marines at the Frozen Chozen, down deep--wounded, frost bitten and fought their way 70 miles to a ship. Same age group. Deeper motivation--life and death--but the proof of Physically they shall do what they are expected and demanded to do. MOTIVATION.

Reaction Score
I think that sometimes Geno gets fatigued and says some things that, after reading them, would like to take them back.

Reaction Score
Fatigue was/is an excuse. Also, mental fatigue doesn't exist in BB. At that age, a day is plenty of time to recover and be ready to go again, and they had more than that between games.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Fatigue was/is an excuse. Also, mental fatigue doesn't exist in BB. At that age, a day is plenty of time to recover and be ready to go again, and they had more than that between games.
The fact that there is a lull in performance from even the perfect seasons is a testament that mental fatigue most certainly does exist, but usually when the games count the least or are the easiest. Expecting every player to be up for every single game is totally unrealistic. I can’t believe we are even debating this.

But expecting every player to be mentally focused and ready for tournament games is not unrealistic … for a normal season.

Reaction Score
Most of these young ladies started playing basketball at the age of six or seven, gradually adding more practice and playing time each year. I don't care how much you love something, when it comes to a point where it consumes your life a bell should go off. If it doesn't then I believe things like fatigue does sometimes set in. It has nothing to do with the love of the game, it has everything to do with what the game has cost you.

Reaction Score
The fact that there is a lull in performance from even the perfect seasons is a testament that mental fatigue most certainly does exist, but usually when the games count the least or are the easiest. Expecting every player to be up for every single game is totally unrealistic. I can’t believe we are even debating this.

But expecting every player to be mentally focused and ready for tournament games is not unrealistic … for a normal season.
ok so there is some mental fatigue or loss of concentration against teams that you are expected to beat handily. But not enough that it costs you the season.

Reaction Score
You are correct - he does that occasionally but... To me this wasn't Geno using the media. Those comments to the team after the Xavier game were not in front of the media. And it's not like he was being interviewed and said that stuff...

I do think mental fatigue was an issue as well - so little room for error, lack of ability to sub, the injuries, etc. all had to weigh on the team. Maybe Geno just couldn't figure out the right buttons to push last season. It's not like we ever have to deal with so much injury adversity on a regular basis...

I remember reading after the tOSU game that the coaches had a game plan for the press and the team just wasn't implementing it. Or something like that. Anyway I know most of us have turned the page, but that article just came out and i figured it was worth posting...
I agree with everything said in this thread. All valid points. I would like to expand on your tOSU comment. The team didn't implement the plan for the press because she was sitting on the bench in foul trouble. During the season whenever UConn had some trouble with the press, Edwards would position herself in the backcourt near the mid-court line and this was almost always effective at breaking the press. But you can't do that while sitting on the bench. Nobody stepped up to do that job, probably because UConn doesn't practice that exact situation, i.e. how to break the press when Edwards is on the bench with foul trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom