UConn's Paige Bueckers was expected to be face of NIL. Here's why we haven't seen more of her | The Boneyard

UConn's Paige Bueckers was expected to be face of NIL. Here's why we haven't seen more of her

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"With no national legislation, NIL guidelines still fluctuate by state. The NCAA has asked Congress to pass a federal law. Some federal legislators are pressuring the NCAA to construct its own set of rules. Until there’s one standard, NIL activity may move slowly — especially for the highest level athletes."

Reaction Score
"With no national legislation, NIL guidelines still fluctuate by state. The NCAA has asked Congress to pass a federal law. Some federal legislators are pressuring the NCAA to construct its own set of rules. Until there’s one standard, NIL activity may move slowly — especially for the highest level athletes."
Or maybe she's focusing on school and winning a championship first. fact is the money will always be there she's going to be the number 1 pick when she go's pro and her jersey will rival that on the NBA men's jersey she's gold mine waiting to be mined and she knows it so she can afford to wait.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There’s a lot of speculation about Paige & NIL. She’s at an entirely different level than the twins from Fresno St or the gymnast from LSU.

Paige hired a high powered sports agent who is likely working behind the scenes on various endorsement opportunities that I wouldn’t expect to see until the start of basketball season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg tried to get Paige to spill the beans on NIL, but she didn't budge. Below is the best I could do with the Zoom on Twitter. He's interviewing the 5 AP All-Americans.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Emma Raducanu (not exactly parallel)) jumped in with 2 feet into the endorsement racket (pardon the unintentional pun)
and now is struggling not unlike Naomi O

Seems like the 21C gals are not dealing with fame and fortune as well their forerunners in the 20th ...stars such as Maria S (the ice-maiden) and Serena...who seems to be most wanted in her dotage (weird) handled it just fine.

What all this means for PB, her commercial viability and the reasons for the apparent lack of sponsorships to date...

I have no idea.

Reaction Score
blame the ppl who put unrealistic expectations into NIL. Wcbb is not even close to the same in popularity as college football. Aside the 2-3 qb's from Ohio st, Alabama and Oklahoma I haven't heard any big deals there either and that's the cash cow sport in the NCAA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
blame the ppl who put unrealistic expectations into NIL. Wcbb is not even close to the same in popularity as college football. Aside the 2-3 qb's from Ohio st, Alabama and Oklahoma I haven't heard any big deals there either and that's the cash cow sport in the NCAA.
NIL was always going to be a source of pocket change for most college athletes, with only a handful striking it rich. As far as WBB is concerned, I agree that it’s not nearly as big as college FB, but I’m going to wait and see what kind of endorsements emerge once the season starts before I conclude anything about the actual opportunities available.

Reaction Score
I wonder if maybe the big contracts won't show up until they are seniors and are about to go pro. Perhaps there's not much for companies to gain by going all out for some random college player aside from Heisman candidates.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder if maybe the big contracts won't show up until they are seniors and are about to go pro. Perhaps there's not much for companies to gain by going all out for some random college player aside from Heisman candidates.
Paige's latest pix on UConn Instagram produced 256,000 likes in a proverbial blink of an eye. The big boys and girls of advertising want that drawing power. UConn WBB draws fans nationally and internationally and college WBB has many more fans than the WNBA and international pro ball. I don't think there is any valid reason to wait to a senior year to sign up a Paige Bueckers

Reaction Score
Paige's latest pix on UConn Instagram produced 256,000 likes in a proverbial blink of an eye. The big boys and girls of advertising want that drawing power. UConn WBB draws fans nationally and internationally and college WBB has many more fans than the WNBA and international pro ball. I don't think there is any valid reason to wait to a senior year to sign up a Paige Bueckers
Apparently they don't. Four months in to this NIL thing and how many big contracts have been signed? How many by Paige or any WCBB player for that matter? Maybe things heat up during the season when basketball becomes the prominent sport, but even in CFB the #1 bestest most popular visible sport in America according to some has produced very few notable NIL deals.

Reaction Score
The shoes contracts of the Nba rookies were announced when the season started. I expect Paige will get one soon.

Reaction Score
I predict Paige is one smart cookie and she isn't going to just sign for anything. She's probably working on a big fish deal.... give it a hot second.

Reaction Score
I predict Paige is one smart cookie and she isn't going to just sign for anything. She's probably working on a big fish deal.... give it a hot second.
Occam's razor applies. It's more likely she simply doesn't have any takers at the moment. It's not like she is hiding and no one knows how to get in touch with her agent.

Reaction Score
Occam's razor applies. It's more likely she simply doesn't have any takers at the moment. It's not like she is hiding and no one knows how to get in touch with her agent.
Do you really think so? Geno said 'Paige could earn more than anybody here and ....' in the interview two weeks ago. The coach knows more than you and me.

Reaction Score
Do you really think so? Geno said 'Paige could earn more than anybody here and ....' in the interview two weeks ago. The coach knows more than you and me.
Please list all of the big NIL contracts Paige has signed. Geno says she could earn more than anybody here, so surely 4 months in she has?

Reaction Score
Please list all of the big NIL contracts Paige has signed. Geno says she could earn more than anybody here, so surely 4 months in she has?
didn't some protein powder company have a billboard in Connecticut that said Paige can't get paid and she the most "popular athlete. Yet they instead went with the Cavinder twins who can't even get in the tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The fact that there have been no “announced” endorsement deals for Paige yet means very little relative to her ability to market herself. It’s absolutely there if she and her agent want it.

You need look no further than Paige’s teammates to understand the opportunity. Azzi has major deals with both Chipotle & TikTok. Liv has released professionally done photos on Instagram as part of her endorsement deal with Fabletics.

All in good time.

Reaction Score
didn't some protein powder company have a billboard in Connecticut that said Paige can't get paid and she the most "popular athlete. Yet they instead went with the Cavinder twins who can't even get in the tournament.
What does getting into the tournament have to do anything?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The company that put up the billboard, not far from ESPN’s campus in Bristol, CT, is Six Star Pro Nutrition, a Canadian company that produces supplements for bodybuilders and other athletes. Pro Star has endorsement deals with two athletes: professionally football player T J Watt and professional women’s soccer player Tobin Heath.

At present, Six Star appears to have an endorsement deals with the Cavinder Twins, although they are not currently listed in Six Star’s site as athlete promoters. As for the billboard in CT, I strongly suspect that Six Star was trying to hook the big one….unsuccessfully it appears.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I always been skeptical of the extravagant amount of earnings that Paige was projected to be in line to collect as a result of NIL. We need to look outside the bubble that is UCONN women's basketball and remember that this is still WCBB. The sport as a whole struggles for eyeballs as does the professional league (WNBA) to which the best players are aspiring. This is not a reflection of Paige or my personal feelings. It is more of a reflection of the value our society places on our male athletes vs female athletes. Paige is clearly the best & most recognizable WCBB player with an enormous social media following. I just don't thing there are advertisers that are willing to throw enormous sums of money at Paige or any women's college basketball player.

Reaction Score
I always been skeptical of the extravagant amount of earnings that Paige was projected to be in line to collect as a result of NIL. We need to look outside the bubble that is UCONN women's basketball and remember that this is still WCBB. The sport as a whole struggles for eyeballs as does the professional league (WNBA) to which the best players are aspiring. This is not a reflection of Paige or my personal feelings. It is more of a reflection of the value our society places on our male athletes vs female athletes. Paige is clearly the best & most recognizable WCBB player with an enormous social media following. I just don't thing there are advertisers that are willing to throw enormous sums of money at Paige or any women's college basketball player.
Agreed.
Not everybody is as sophisticated and discerning as we are here on the BY.
At work, everybody talks about Giants, Jets, Nets, Rangers, etc.
Any college sports watchers are confined to men's F/B and B/B.
When I talk about the WCBB Huskies, I get smirks or blank looks, even from my female co-workers.
I do believe, however, that once the WCBB season starts, with fans in the stands, national TV coverage, and high profile programs going at it with each other, people will begin to sit up and take notice.
I must admit that I had little interest in basketball, pro or college, men's or women's until 2017-2018.
Happened to turn on SNY and saw Lou, Phee, Crystal doing a number on some hapless AAC team and was fascinated.
Once I saw the work ethic and the meshing of court skills and personalities, I was hooked. Must work in some way for other top programs as well.
If Paige "Buckets" stays healthy and continues to do her thing, she should be a huge part of a phenomenal UCONN campaign. People will watch and become involved, even out of hope to see the mighty brought low.
Seems the tide is turning for women's sports visibility (started with USA soccer team), and Number 5 should be well positioned to be one of the most visible faces of the new optics.
Of course, a 12th Husky National Championship following a thrilling NCAA tourney wouldn't hurt.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Did you just call the BY "sophisticated and discerning" ?

Eddie Murphy Argument GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom