UConn's offense | The Boneyard

UConn's offense

Reaction Score
Definitely been a slowdown in PPG

(red dotted = actual ; blue = 3-game smoothed)

1547408755192.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like I posted after the Oklahoma and Cal games. Slow the game down and don't commit any live ball turnovers and you have a chance against UConn, because the half court offense is not good.

If USF had not had the 5 minutes or so where they turned it over every possession, this game would have been even closer.

Reaction Score
As I've mentioned several time before, the half-court offense is this team's achilles heel. CD is the most overrated point guard in the country. At her size, she should be thinking assist first, scoring later. She needs to break down zones with her size and speed, but she'd rather hoist up NBA 3-pointers. The offense just has no flow.

Reaction Score
With CD's on Court injury today, depending as to how bad it may be, YOU may get your wish and this "over rate PG" will sit and Coombs or Molly (who played her all around best game as a Uconn today) must step in to be the PG of choice.
The scoring dropped off since Napheesa stopped taking the short jumper==CW for some reason does not want the shot. I think the team is "gun shy" if I don't shoot I can't miss it.
Maybe Geno didn't ask them in the right tone--to shoot when open.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to the swarm defense that used to produce so much turnover/transition scoring. I did see the team trap a couple of times in the 2nd half with good results each time, but there is little or no press.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to the swarm defense that used to produce so much turnover/transition scoring. I did see the team trap a couple of times in the 2nd half with good results each time, but there is little or no press.
People love to talk about the weak half-court offense, which is true, but I think UConn's bigger problem is this. Historically they have thrived off forcing turnovers and transition buckets. The transition offense seems to have virtually disappeared aside from a cameo in the Notre Dame game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"CD is the most overrated point guard in the country?" Sorry, that ranks as a top ten ridiculous statement posted on the Boneyard.

And you've only been around for a couple of months ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UConn's offense this year has been hindered by two things: The inability for their starting guards and Meg to contribute consistently, and their lack of pace in the offensive end. Also they often seem content to take the first open look they get, which is usually a shot they can get later in the shot clock.

Lou and Pheesa need pace and movement to get open looks. The team is too dependent on them to carry the offensive load, yet they're seemingly unwilling to play with the pace necessary in the offensive end, which includes setting good screens, having good ball movement and making good passes, in order to get good shots. Yet when they finally get a good look they miss. When was the last time this team has run a good backdoor cut for a hoop? They do so occasionally, but this used to be a staple of Geno's teams. This really hurts a team which lacks size up front. Generally they haven't played badly in the defensive end, but watching them miss shot after makeable shot is tough. Also this team commits as many TO's as I've seen any team of Geno's since before the Hartley era. Also as has been pointed out, their lack of a transition offense has hurt them.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As I've mentioned several time before, the half-court offense is this team's achilles heel. CD is the most overrated point guard in the country. At her size, she should be thinking assist first, scoring later. She needs to break down zones with her size and speed, but she'd rather hoist up NBA 3-pointers. The offense just has no flow.

Are you a troll? You knowledge of basketball is lacking.

Reaction Score
If the team can’t get a good number of transition baskets they are very beatable. Half court offense is very weak and rebounding is lacking. I was really surprised at the complacency of the starters today..

Reaction Score
People love to talk about the weak half-court offense, which is true, but I think UConn's bigger problem is this. Historically they have thrived off forcing turnovers and transition buckets. The transition offense seems to have virtually disappeared aside from a cameo in the Notre Dame game.
Two things have changed from last year. Kia is gone and Lou has to rebound. Who will learn to leak out and start the break? So far this year we have not had people in position to get out and start the breaks. One thought is that every one will have to help rebound. Lets hope we figure it out.

Reaction Score
One problem that UConn has is that they have to work really hard to get baskets in their half court offense....................if the three point shot isn't dropping, the lack of a dominant inside game where you simply feed the low post for an easy look is really not much of an option unless NC gets a defensive mismatch...............

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I do not mind you voicing your opinion, and that includes your assessment of CD. However, when you make such a hyperbolic statement, you should provide some evidence . Stats? Anything concrete? If not, then you will surely be excoriated by my fellow Boneheads. And justifiably so. :rolleyes:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
They have many problems, as do most teams. But they have a great staff, and a long and proud tradition to help them along. There will be good days and bad, but I will bet on them to pull it out. :D

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When UConn does not run their offense like the previous teams did, they look no better than other above average teams. The beautiful offense we are used to seeing is not there for some reason. Also, it seems to me that some of the problems may not be talented. I think there may be a team chemistry problem and I'll leave it at that. Further, CW has had games in which she scored inn double figures early and then not gotten the ball again. In the game before today's game she hit two consecutive threes and I don't remember if she got another shot until sometime after. Feed the player who is hot. At first CW was bold and aggressive but lately she has been more passive. Why is that? I don't think she has hit a wall. Something or someone seems to have caused her to lose some confidence. Some of it has to do with what Geno said about being able to impact the game when she does not have it in her hand. She must learn to do that.

Reaction Score
With any great teams with a long history winning, its so difficult to see teams and years when that excellence isn't quite there. Sometimes, the biggest fallacy in "coach speak" is, "we have several things to clean up". It doesn't mean this particular U Conn team can't improve, its just that there are a number of things this team isn't and will never be. I think the fans' expectation and the realistic level that this team can play at are way different. Also, every team in the country is working to improve as well.
Most of the time, I think this team goes out and plays hard. There is just such a razor-thin line now whether the Huskies will struggle or dominate.
Kia was mentioned earlier but I think Gabby's absence is even bigger. She would take over games last year; defensively (steals), rebounding, slashing to the basket. Also, she was a great passer.
Geno and the rest of the coaches are doing their jobs. The players are working hard. After every tough game (postgame) this season, we have heard players say afterwards (Oklahoma, Cal, Baylor, USF) that "this was a wake-up call". Yet, the same struggles keep happening.
Bottom line-This team is small, not extremely athletic, and not very deep (obviously). How far coaching, team chemistry, and senior leadership will take them remains to be seen. I just think the fans have to realize this team is a far cry from the '15/'16 team and not take it out on individual players..

Reaction Score
Already ignored. :)
The
With any great teams with a long history winning, its so difficult to see teams and years when that excellence isn't quite there. Sometimes, the biggest fallacy in "coach speak" is, "we have several things to clean up". It doesn't mean this particular U Conn team can't improve, its just that there are a number of things this team isn't and will never be. I think the fans' expectation and the realistic level that this team can play at are way different. Also, every team in the country is working to improve as well.
Most of the time, I think this team goes out and plays hard. There is just such a razor-thin line now whether the Huskies will struggle or dominate.
Kia was mentioned earlier but I think Gabby's absence is even bigger. She would take over games last year; defensively (steals), rebounding, slashing to the basket. Also, she was a great passer.
Geno and the rest of the coaches are doing their jobs. The players are working hard. After every tough game (postgame) this season, we have heard players say afterwards (Oklahoma, Cal, Baylor, USF) that "this was a wake-up call". Yet, the same struggles keep happening.
Bottom line-This team is small, not extremely athletic, and not very deep (obviously). How far coaching, team chemistry, and senior leadership will take them remains to be seen. I just think the fans have to realize this team is a far cry from the '15/'16 team and not take it out on individual players..
Definitely, but as personnel changes, you take advantage of the talents of your team and disguise or hide the weaknesses.
I’d like to see us go further out on the floor and pressure. Pressure the ball, get in the passing lanes, trap when it’s there, and get in front of the posts. When we do it, it seems to work. Gets us fast break opportunities, turnovers, and it picks up the game’s tempo. Plus, we’re usually smaller, so when you force an offense further from the hoop, it negates their size advantage.
I’d like to see us dribble drive into the paint in order to break down the defense and create open looks. Problem with my Celtics right now too. They’re just hoisting 3’s. These are some of the best players in America. They all know how to penetrate a defense. Shots are easier, not rushed or forced.
I think their fast break needs to be more traditional- outlet to CD, 2 and 3 sprint to fill the wings and the 4 and 5 are trailers. Too much rebounder dribbling down and getting nothing. People are complaining about CD- get her the ball in the open court and let her deal like an AA.

Reaction Score
Geno should have started the game with trapping, but he did not because he is friends USF coach Jose and knowing how many starters are injured he did not want to embarrass his friend.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno should have started the game with trapping, but he did not because he is friends USF coach Jose and knowing how many starters are injured he did not want to embarrass his friend.
Absolutely not. I think his game plan was to trap and double-team from the opening tip, and the reason for the mass benching was because his starters didn't do that in the first 4:30 or so, with bad results. That was his point about how (it seemed) his game plan was just a suggestion.

Reaction Score
Two things to point out from the Baylor game in Waco 2/3 years ago. Much like CW and ND, Crystal Dangerfield saved the day for Geno and she was a freshmen. Also, in the same game during the 2Q, Geno had 3 freshmen on the floor for more than 2 minutes. They were Crystal Dangerfield, Kyla, and Molly Bent. Re-watch the game. Check it out!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom