UConn's Next Hockey Coach just free up? National power DU fires coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Next Hockey Coach just free up? National power DU fires coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Funny if they ever get a following for hockey, they could be only school with big following for BB CFB WBB MS and Hockey? SEC draws for Softball and baseball.

Reaction Score
Funny if they ever get a following for hockey, they could be only school with big following for BB CFB WBB MS and Hockey? SEC draws for Softball and baseball.
only other i could think of would be michigan. they've certainly got MBB/Football/Hockey covered. dont know if they have much of a WBB or MSOC fanbase. Minnesota would be another contender, but from what I've gathered, Gopher football isn't really all that popular as more than just something to do. Hockey is #1 there for sure.

Reaction Score
only other i could think of would be michigan. they've certainly got MBB/Football/Hockey covered. dont know if they have much of a WBB or MSOC fanbase. Minnesota would be another contender, but from what I've gathered, Gopher football isn't really all that popular as more than just something to do. Hockey is #1 there for sure.

Don't forget that UConn had a good following when they made the CWS Regional run a few years ago. Couple of thou @ Norwich Stadium.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that UConn had a good following when they made the CWS Regional run a few years ago. Couple of thou @ Norwich Stadium.
Michigan have MSOC? I know not many realize but BIG12 doesn't have MSOC. Come to think of it, what did WVU do with their MSOC program. I do believe Baseball could draw with the right facility.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Michigan have MSOC? I know not many realize but BIG12 doesn't have MSOC. Come to think of it, what did WVU do with their MSOC program. I do believe Baseball could draw with the right facility.

Michigan isn't in the Big 12...

Reaction Score
Landon Donovan just trained with Wisconsin men's soccer during their spring practice in order Get back into form.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Aware of that, was more trying to point out BIG12 didn't have soccer, and wondered if B1G did. Random run-on thoughts.

Ah, gotcha.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
WVU plays in the MAC now.

Reaction Score
There are really 2 problems with college baseball in New England being a huge draw. first the season is too short. UConn's regular season ends May 18. Second, and related is that the weather for most of it is at best iffy. I stopped by a game this weekend, not UConn, and it was brutal. Nice and sunny but it was cold, and when the wind picked up it was really pretty uncomfortable. Not good for the players or the fans really.

Reaction Score
There are really 2 problems with college baseball in New England being a huge draw. first the season is too short. UConn's regular season ends May 18. Second, and related is that the weather for most of it is at best iffy. I stopped by a game this weekend, not UConn, and it was brutal. Nice and sunny but it was cold, and when the wind picked up it was really pretty uncomfortable. Not good for the players or the fans really.

I never understand this sort of reasoning. When it comes to fans, you can't watch a game on a sunny day in 60 degree weather, even when wind chill seems like the 40s? By covering up? Just prepare. Cover yourself. I see this at football games all the time. Cover yourselves.

As for the players, it is a good thing. Many of them will be playing ball up north. The minor leagues are already underway up here in the north. Baseball players have to learn to play in Spring weather. If they want to succeed.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I never understand this sort of reasoning. When it comes to fans, you can't watch a game on a sunny day in 60 degree weather, even when wind chill seems like the 40s? By covering up? Just prepare. Cover yourself. I see this at football games all the time. Cover yourselves.

Baseball is supposed to be enjoyable. I don't find it enjoyable to wear my snow pants, goulashes, mittens, ski hat and north face to baseball games.

Football? Fine, that's the culture and you expect to dress that way late in the season because there are only six/seven home games on a college schedule and most ticket holders have invested too much to miss even a single game.

Baseball is much different. The diehards might be there, but for the majority it's a cocktail party. People go to sun themselves, have a couple drinks and relax. The stuff on the field is just a nice addition to the party.

Reaction Score
Different games. Baseball is played best in warm weather. Something by the way major league baseball ought to take under advisement when scheduling the World Series.

Reaction Score
Baseball is supposed to be enjoyable. I don't find it enjoyable to wear my snow pants, goulashes, mittens, ski hat and north face to baseball games.

Football? Fine, that's the culture and you expect to dress that way late in the season because there are only six/seven home games on a college schedule and most ticket holders have invested too much to miss even a single game.

Baseball is much different. The diehards might be there, but for the majority it's a cocktail party. People go to sun themselves, have a couple drinks and relax. The stuff on the field is just a nice addition to the party.

golashes, mittens, snow pants, ski hate and north face for 60 degree weather. I suggest you toughen up.

Reaction Score
Different games. Baseball is played best in warm weather. Something by the way major league baseball ought to take under advisement when scheduling the World Series.

Not buying. They play baseball in the northeast. Up here, you're not going to get summer weather except for 3 1/2 months tops. You HAVE to play in 50 degree weather.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown is coaching at SMU for one reason. Instant credibility.
He is there for the now.

I am not at all familiar with the coaching scene in hockey, but if Uconn is looking to make a splash, hiring a great coach that will bring credibility isn't bad.

Imagine if Uconn hired the winningest coach in Big East to give the football program some credibility... Woops, never mind. wrong turn there...

Reaction Score
Larry Brown is coaching at SMU for one reason. Instant credibility.
He is there for the now.

I am not at all familiar with the coaching scene in hockey, but if Uconn is looking to make a splash, hiring a great coach that will bring credibility isn't bad.
This is correct, if nothing else, Gwoz would be a clear sign that UConn is serious about upgrading the program to that of a Hockey East school and taking the necessary steps, not just adding a few coats of paint to the existing structure. Whether or not he's interested in the job would be another story.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
golashes, mittens, snow pants, ski hate and north face for 60 degree weather. I suggest you toughen up.

In your example, you said the wind chill made it 40. Whatever. I grew up playing hockey on outdoor rinks at 6am in January. I can take cold weather.

But maybe I don't want to toughen up to watch baseball?

Maybe I just don't want to go to baseball games in that weather when there are baseball games played in July and August to go to and not be cold?

Reaction Score
Would love to see guy Boucher Tampa ex coach get a shot. He did great in the minors and I think he is one of those coaches that is better with the younger kids

Reaction Score
In your example, you said the wind chill made it 40. Whatever. I grew up playing hockey on outdoor rinks at 6am in January. I can take cold weather.

But maybe I don't want to toughen up to watch baseball?

Maybe I just don't want to go to baseball games in that weather when there are baseball games played in July and August to go to and not be cold?

Well, you certainly don't need arctic gear to watch a game a game played in 60 degrees with 45 wind chill. You just have to use some sense. Do you need a knit cap? Yes. Regular old gloves? Yes. A good windbreaking jacket? Yes. You're good for 3 hours. Definitely not snow pants and boots though.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Well, you certainly don't need arctic gear to watch a game a game played in 60 degrees with 45 wind chill. You just have to use some sense. Do you need a knit cap? Yes. Regular old gloves? Yes. A good windbreaking jacket? Yes. You're good for 3 hours. Definitely not snow pants and boots though.

I know. I certainly went over-the-top on gear. My point is, I don't think many people want to watch baseball and feel like they're in an icebox when there are games to go to in the summer and feel much more comfortable. Baseball is a summer game. It doesn't feel right in 45 degrees in March.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know. I certainly went over-the-top on gear. My point is, I don't think many people want to watch baseball and feel like they're in an icebox when there are games to go to in the summer and feel much more comfortable. Baseball is a summer game. It doesn't feel right in 45 degrees in March.

Spring is less a problem than the late fall games at the MLB level. The season and longer playofs extend too long. In Spring, 50-60 feels warm coming out of winter. At 60 right now, all I need is a short sleeve shirt. In fall, it feels pretty cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom