UConn's MBB, Football Teams See Historically Low Attendance Figures As Programs Try To Rebuild | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn's MBB, Football Teams See Historically Low Attendance Figures As Programs Try To Rebuild

Reaction Score
Maybe the team will win if people come. It's depressing playing in front of a 1/4 filled student section. You're such a fairweather fan it makes me sick.

If you want to hold everyone to the standard of being a superfan who goes to every minute of every game regardless of how good the team is, that's fine.

But you graduated 09? I was '10. You are delusional if you think the student fanbase was that loyal, and would still be supporting the teams at their current level of play.

Reaction Score
If you want to hold everyone to the standard of being a superfan who goes to every minute of every game regardless of how good the team is, that's fine.

But you graduated 09? I was '10. You are delusional if you think the student fanbase was that loyal, and would still be supporting the teams at their current level of play.

Don't support the team when they need support the most. Got it. We have some rock solid UConn fans here.

Reaction Score
Don't support the team when they need support the most. Got it. We have some rock solid UConn fans here.

What is your current games attended streak?

Reaction Score
I went to UConn 84-87 which I'm pretty certain were without qualifiers the absolute worst 4 years in program history. The first 3 were hate watching Dom Perno increasingly incompetent development & lack of control, but then thoroughly enjoyed Calhoun's 9-19 first season b/c we saw the culture change and potential. Living thru but getting past the dark period allows one to more thoroughly enjoy good times, keeping a broad perspective.

Lifelong fans can be forged thru this adversity, so I'd emphasize and encourage recent grads to reenergize and drive/grow momentum.
That's always been my Outlook on sports, have to experience the bad to appreciate the good. It's a little funny how that as a big time fan of a top ten program historically the best season I've experienced was a second round exit to Kansas. My first rooting experience in college basketball was the round of 32 and on in 2014 so when I came to UConn I naively expected Alabama football success haha

Reaction Score
We could've played all of our games in front 100,000 screaming UConn fans last year and that dumpster fire of a team would've went under .500. Now the program has a sense of direction it's reasonable to expect fans to be more supportive during the rebuild. But as someone who lived for games my freshman and sophomore year going to last season's games was flat out depressing. Nothing beats the crap out of your school spirit like squeaking past USF at gampel lol

Reaction Score
I haven't missed a game since 2006. You?

That's great! I'm proud of you.

I live in Atlanta so I can't buy season tickets. However, I've spent more money than I care to admit traveling the country to see UConn basketball, football, hockey and baseball games. Plus, I donate to the school.

So, please don't question my fandom or loyalty to the university again.

Reaction Score
Was on a season ticket plan fro 37 years from 1980 thru 2016-2017 season.

Didn't renew last year. Not because I thought we weren't going to be good. But I was just sick of the ticket dept. screwing Season ticket holders. We pay full price and then as soon as the check is sent in UConn would release The Husky Value Plan with $15 seats at both venues. Then they would sell discounted single tickets too. No donation no anything.

They never did anything for the Season ticket holders.

So last year I just bought seats to the games that I wanted to attend. Paid $5 -$15 for a few. And $35 for Nova.

And you know what? I kind of enjoy watching the home games on TV.

Deciding what to do for this season. But leaning towards doing the same thing.

I still have Football season tickets. Had those since Memorial.

Reaction Score

If you have a problem with that attitude, so be it. Just that you know your graduating class wasn't any different.

Reaction Score
It's definitely not true.
Why it’s possible?

But I don’t think it makes you a better fan. I’ve only missed a couple of games in the same amount of time but I don’t consider myself better than fans on here.

Reaction Score
If you have a problem with that attitude, so be it. Just that you know your graduating class wasn't any different.

Are you going to wait until we beat Florida State and Syracuse next year to show your support?

Reaction Score
Why it’s possible?

But I don’t think it makes you a better fan. I’ve only missed a couple of games in the same amount of time but I don’t consider myself better than fans on here.

It's probably possible but I was saying I definitely didn't go to every game despite saying I did. It does not make you or me a better fan at all. It's a pain getting to Storrs and Hartford if you live in Fairfield County and NYC or whatever.

You know whats not difficult? Walking 10 minutes from your dorm to Gamp to watch a basketball game.

Reaction Score
I just want students to show up and support the team.
In recent years with the teams performance trending down Ollie needed to interact more with the student body to fill more seats in Gampel/XL. Early indications of Hurley lead me to believe he’ll understand the importance of this (getting students to buy back in to the program) in revitalizing our program and selling out games again.

Reaction Score
Why is this just about the students? It’s not like Gampel/XL and Rentschler are full minus the student section.

I think what he is saying is....for Gampel games...it is so easy to walk 5 min to go to a game 8 times a year and support the kids on the team. Hopefully it changes this year with Hurley. First game will be packed then it will depend on how we perform.

I just renewed my season tix and I think Hurley is going to demand better play. At URI the hoops games became events the last couple years. He will get Gampel and XL jumping again. I heard student season tix didn’t sell out last year or two for the first time in forever...,,will be interesting to see if kids jump on bandwagon early or if it’s wait and see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom