UConn's MBB, Football Teams See Historically Low Attendance Figures As Programs Try To Rebuild | The Boneyard

UConn's MBB, Football Teams See Historically Low Attendance Figures As Programs Try To Rebuild

Reaction Score
Lot of info in here (nothing really earth-shattering though):

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
This shouldn’t be surprising.

Win and they will come.

Reaction Score
Gotta love the graduating class of 2018. The worst UConn fans ever.

Reaction Score
It’s been said lots of times here, but play one or two crappy OOC games in Bridgeport each season.

I went to the Eastern Washington and Columbia game and both games were nearly sold out. For the Eastern Washington game, I sat in folding chairs that were added to fit more fans in the game.

Tons of Husky fans in south-western CT that wouldn’t make the trip up to Hartford for a cupcake game but would go to Bridgeport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s been said lots of times here, but play one or two crappy OOC games in Bridgeport each season.

I went to the Eastern Washington and Columbia game and both games were nearly sold out.

Tons of Husky fans in south-western CT that wouldn’t make the trip up to Hartford for a cupcake game but would go to Bridgeport.
Especially during winter break. Absolute no brainer.

Reaction Score
Gotta love the graduating class of 2018. The worst UConn fans ever.

I don't think that's fair. Read this board. The so called "die-hard" fans and alums have sunk the program. Students aren't going to have the same attachment to the school coming in and won't have the same incentive to wait out bad play.

That's not to completely exonerate them, but if you read this board at any point over the last two years, you'd wonder why anybody would ever want to invest in UConn basketball. Hard to build a fanbase when your leaders are the most fickle people on board.

Reaction Score
As someone who's had season tickets for a really long time. I think the problems with the ticket department started a long time ago and not entirely on losing/AAC.

The ticket office was always run poorly. They screwed over a lot of donors/season ticket holders in the 90's and 2000's. I think that left a bad taste in peoples mouth and when conference realignment screwed us it gave a reason for people to walk away.

Reaction Score
As someone who's had season tickets for a really long time. I think the problems with the ticket department started a long time ago and not entirely on losing/AAC.

The ticket office was always run poorly. They screwed over a lot of donors/season ticket holders in the 90's and 2000's. I think that left a bad taste in peoples mouth and when conference realignment screwed us it gave a reason for people to walk away.
Agree. We gave big $$$ and still, our seats travelled up...and up....and up.... got POed after a while.

Reaction Score
Agree. We gave big $$$ and still, our seats travelled up...and up....and up.... got POed after a while.
My dad was a small donor and season ticket holder before Gampel was built. After the dream season, they told him he couldn't buy season tickets at Gampel anymore because he didn't give enough money. Instead of rewarding loyalty they went straight for the money.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My dad was a small donor and season ticket holder before Gampel was built. After the dream season, they told him he couldn't buy season tickets at Gampel anymore because he didn't give enough money. Instead of rewarding loyalty they went straight for the money.
Hathaway completed mismanaged tickets for short term gain. It disenfranchised a lot a of people.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If you drive your car looking out the rearview mirror, sooner or later you are going to cash
big_thumb.jpg

Reaction Score

The ticket office was always run poorly screwed over a lot of donors/season ticket holders in the 90's and 2000's. I think that left a bad taste in peoples mouth and when conference realignment screwed us it gave a reason for people to walk away.

The athletic department* has always been run very poorly.

The fact that Geno and Calhoun did what they did (drag a New England college athletic department onto the national stage in their respective sports) is a miracle.

Reaction Score
That's just wrong. And then these big donors get tickets, and don't attend games, so the place looks empty.

Reaction Score
I agree a winner will increase attendance, but you can not discount the advent of big flat screen TV's and all games televised. I wish they would figure out a way to distribute empty seats to poor kids in Hartford. There's no money in it, but at least you have a full house. And not a bunch of corporate types who don't make any noise.

Reaction Score
The class to provide the most funding ever to the athletic department while students are the worst class ever? You really don't get it lol

By and large it is the parents who are paying the fees. It was the students who chose not to attend the games.

Reaction Score
Class of '18 'yarder here, would love to hear why

Shocked there is a 2018 grad who reads the boneyard, didn't think you guys actually cared about basketball.

Your class never attended games, the atmosphere was horrible in person and on tv. Everyone knows it and it has been brought up by at least 1 yarder after every home game (win or lose).

Blame the team, the players, the coach, the conference, how hard it is to get to Hartford, etc it's all just a poor excuse. You guys were awful. We have had poor teams and losing seasons in the past and attendance was never an issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom