UConn's Gibbs, Adams Get Jump On Teamwork At Pro-Am | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Gibbs, Adams Get Jump On Teamwork At Pro-Am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kevin Duffy was also the sports columnist at Hearst.
No, he became the columnist after being the beat writer, and during that time as a beat writer he did plenty of stuff on advanced stats and film study. I'm not asking Amore or any of the old guard to do it, but plenty of beat writers out there covering college and pro sports go beyond just giving you game recaps or player/coach interviews. I've noticed it tends to be the thing for younger reporters, just for an example off the top of my head compare the approach someone like Chris Herring does covering the Knicks for the WSJ to old meatheads like Marc Berman and Frank Isola of the Post and Daily News respectively. They might as well not even be covering the same sport how ahead Herring is compared to those 2.

Reaction Score
Back before the internet existed, beat writers only had to provide recaps with some quotes.

But these days, it's ideal if they add more than what I could get from reading the box score and listening to post-game pressers on YouTube.

Reaction Score
The Journal shares some of their sportswriters with Yahoo and Hearst only has Elsberry who barely even writes about UConn basketball. The Courant wants all their sports opinion to come from Jacobs. Amore doesn't have the necessary room to operate to start offering analysis based stuff.

Beat guys who provide inside information quickly and accurately provide way more value than any sort of analysis they may bring, at least in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Beat guys who provide inside information quickly and accurately provide way more value than any sort of analysis they may bring, at least in my opinion.
Yeah, I mean we already have Chief breaking things down for us

Reaction Score
I didn't realize Sterling had that type of swivel

I didn't know he could dunk, until I read the writeup in the Courant. His Seton Hall highilights never showed one.

It seems very apparent that the trio of Gibbs, Purvis, and Adams will be as great a group of guards as any in the country.

Reaction Score
Both look great, but I have to say... Does Adams even HAVE a left hand? He goes to great lengths to finish acrobatically with his right in order to avoid going up with his left. I suspect opponents will identify this weakness immediately. Anyone who has seen him play have input on whether this is just a highlight reel anomaly, or does he really avoid finishing lefty?

Some guys don't need a left hand. Bemba finished a lot on the left side with his right too. If your tough to guard then it doesn't matter about the left hand as long as you're creative and both he and Sterling look to be just that. I am sure you will see a left if necessary but sometimes it's not.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
How did Jalen's jumpshot look? He makes shots in highlight videos, but wonder about his form and ability to get a good jumpshot off when guarded. Any insight from those who have seen him play?

Reaction Score
Back before the internet existed, beat writers only had to provide recaps with some quotes.

But these days, it's ideal if they add more than what I could get from reading the box score and listening to post-game pressers on YouTube.

or talking to your friends. If I were to just call up 5 friends who saw the game, I would get everything Dom offered but without the typos.

Has he figured out how to write the English language yet? Since diving into boneyard culture I haven't gone back to skimming for Donnie Love articles on the courant anymore. Somebody please tell me he at least edits his tweets and articles now

Reaction Score
Some guys don't need a left hand. Bemba finished a lot on the left side with his right too. If your tough to guard then it doesn't matter about the left hand as long as you're creative and both he and Sterling look to be just that. I am sure you will see a left if necessary but sometimes it's not.
As a point guard your left is absolutely necessary. Our list of recent guards are somewhat of anomalies in this statement though. Kemba, Bazz, and Boat had different styles of scoring because of their smaller statures. Sure they have the ability to attack the rim, but do so in transition and screens, giving them more "open looks." Someone like JA, who at 6'3 is going to be attacking the rim ferociously, taking guys 1v1 off the bounce, and facing shot altering big men when he drives needs to be creative with both hands. Otherwise, you shade him to one side and he loses much elusiveness. He may not have a strong left now (I honestly don't know), but I guarantee you by the end of his reign at UConn he will be a great finisher with both hands.

Reaction Score
As to using his left hand, I am embarrassed to say when I have watched Jalen play his game has been so smooth and graceful that I never noticed if he was only using his right hand. If he isn't using his left deftly, I can tell you he uses his head, court vision, eye fakes, look aways, and every clever subtle move you can imagine, so it is no problem. As to his ability to get off a jumper when guarded, that's not quite how he plays. Boatright and Shabazz took the ball at the end of a shot clock and broke you down for their own shot. Jalen is going to breakdown the other team's defense with a pass in that situation and get our team the best shot possible. Doron Sheffer didn't take contested shots or bad shots, and that is the shot selection I have seen from Jalen. Think Doron Sheffer's poise and decision making. For his own shot he will slide to an open spot and catch and shoot. On the other hand, I think he can do it and would find a way to hit a contested shot when necessary. Also, as a steady diet, Doron threw the ball ahead and over the top of the defense to a streaking Donny Marshall, expect those types of passes from Jalen regularly as long as Ollie can teach someone to run before defenses get back.

Reaction Score
I think we are going to see ALOT of these 2 on the court at the same time for us this season, and i'm excited about it!

Reaction Score
all basketball players have strong 'hands' , either right or left. doesn't mean he can't finish left, he simply right handed dominant. for a player of his caliber, he can clearly finish/drive with both hands, or else nobody would be recruiting him.

Reaction Score
all basketball players have strong 'hands' , either right or left. doesn't mean he can't finish left, he simply right handed dominant. for a player of his caliber, he can clearly finish/drive with both hands, or else nobody would be recruiting him.

There have been players much better than Jalen Adams who have only used one hand to drive and finish. I don't think I ever saw Latrell Sprewell go left.

Reaction Score
There have been players much better than Jalen Adams who have only used one hand to drive and finish. I don't think I ever saw Latrell Sprewell go left.
that or how harden always seems to get to his left. i'll start worrying once adams starts blowing fast break lay ups, or struggles to use the pick n roll. doubt it though.

Reaction Score
I think we are going to see ALOT of these 2 on the court at the same time for us this season, and i'm excited about it![/QUOTE

Agreed. You'll find JC's most successful teams had 2 PG's. Of course Ollie's 1st NC, of many more to come had Boat & Bazz.
Gibbs & Adams, followed by Adams & Gilbert will give UConn success for years to come.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think we are going to see ALOT of these 2 on the court at the same time for us this season, and i'm excited about it!
Where do you see those minutes coming from? Purvis? Hamilton? If we see a lot of them together, it will be interesting to see who else is on the floor. I have a hard time seeing Purvis slide to the 3.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing Purvis slide to the 3.

Why is that? Purvis is 6'4'' and built like a fullback. If Terrence Samuel can play the 3 in the NCAA tournament, Rodney Purvis certainly can.

Adams' minutes could come at the expense of anybody in the presumed starting lineup - even Brimah. Against certain teams, a lineup with three guards, Hamilton and Miller would be devastating.

Reaction Score
Gibbs, Purvis and Adams will all get plenty of minutes. Its either Sam or Omar who is likely to get squeezed out.

Reaction Score
Where do you see those minutes coming from? Purvis? Hamilton? If we see a lot of them together, it will be interesting to see who else is on the floor. I have a hard time seeing Purvis slide to the 3.

KO used a ton of Boat/TSam/Purvis/DHam sets last year so it wouldn't be anything really different with Gibbs/Adams sliding into those 2 spots. Biggest difference is the team should be upgraded at the 4 spot with Miller so things might be tighter juggling minutes around.

Reaction Score
How did Jalen's jumpshot look? He makes shots in highlight videos, but wonder about his form and ability to get a good jumpshot off when guarded. Any insight from those who have seen him play?

Jalen's jumper wasn't necessarily on point the other night...you can tell he'll be solid shooter by the end of next season however. Form is fine.

Both guards looked real good on Monday night. Jalen has a Kemba style game...was slashing and attacking the basket hard...Gibbs seemed to play like Shabazz...likes to lull his defender to sleep and launch the 3...crafty finishes

Reaction Score

I think we'd see alot more "smaller" line ups. So the potential loss of minutes might come from Phil and maybe Enoch and Facey imo. I just see a combo of Gibbs and Jalen is almost impossible to stop offensively. They will be able to get their shots, and get each other and others shots almost at will. Whether or not they can get alot of pt together imo hinges on the defensive end. As long as they arent getting abused then I think we could be fine. Really they should be fine. The only questionable thing would be Dham at the 4 for stretches, but we should remember he rebounds well and IS 6'7. Probably wouldnt hurt his NBA development to spend some time at bot the 3 and the 4 in college. I think Purvis can handle the 3, he's well built.

Also alot will depend on foul trouble and who is having a good or bad game. If Purvis has a few bad games like he had early last season, he could lose some minutes easily.

I just have a feeling Gibbs and Jalen will see alot of time together on the floor.

Reaction Score
Gibbs, Purvis and Adams will all get plenty of minutes. Its either Sam or Omar who is likely to get squeezed out.
I think its best to wait until December or so to make this prediction. We have some talented veterans that are a few improvements (including health) away from making significant contributions. Our team 'on paper' is stacked, but I don't see Omar getting squeezed out of anything, partly because he's a senior. We may not have a uk scenario but we do have a team with a majority of vets, so playing time may be dictated based on opponents, game situations and of course who's playing well including pairings. I see it being dynamic, if you will.

Ollie has a challenge in managing minutes and morale. Its a good issue to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom