Uconns future success | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconns future success

Will Kevin Ollie ever win a national title as uconn head coach?

• yes

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • no

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember the G'town game in 89 or 90 at the Cap Center in Landover, Maryland. Before the game, at an alumni event, Dee Rowe was waxing poetic how Calhoun had performed a miracle in winning the NIT. Then, Calhoun spoke and said it wasn't any miracle. He had high expectations and expected to achieve them.

That's what you want in a coach.

Exactly! it amazes me how uconn fans on this forum are so pessimistic about everything. sure ko hasnt coached a game but would you have a better opinion on whether or not he will win a national title after watching him coach for 5 years? no you wouldnt. i dont care who you were but no uconn fan before 99 was convinced we`d win a national title and if you say opposite you are a liar. before that season jc had the most tourney appearances without ever reaching a final four and we had some great great teams but jc seem to not be able to get over the hump and none of us were sure if it would ever happen but it did.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
i dont care who you were but no uconn fan before 99 was convinced we`d win a national title and if you say opposite you are a liar. before that season jc had the most tourney appearances without ever reaching a final four and we had some great great teams but jc seem to not be able to get over the hump and none of us were sure if it would ever happen but it did.
I get your point, but I think that's overstating things a bit. In '90 I first thought that we could win a NC; by '94 I thought that we would win a NC; and in the Spring of '98, for the first time in my life, I entered the NCAA lottery for tickets to the '99 Final Four because I was absolutely convinced that we were going to win the whole thing the following season. I won the tickets (terrible seats, I learned...) and booked non-refundable airfare by Thanksgiving of '98.

But you're right, for a period of years there in the early-to-mid 90's I was starting to wonder if we'd ever get there. That's why I think Kevin may be even hungrier for one than we are. I know he was part of the staff in '11, but getting one as head coach is a whole 'nother story, as they say, and I imagine it would more than make up for whatever he feels he may have missed by not winning one as a player.

Reactions: caw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01