Uconns future success | The Boneyard

Uconns future success

Will Kevin Ollie ever win a national title as uconn head coach?

• yes

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • no

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I predict KO will have several deep runs in the NCAA tourney before his career ends. I'm just not sure he'll get the chance at UConn. And yes I know he hasn't coached one game. It's just an impression I get about this guy. I was 100% correct about Khalid and 100% wrong about Hazleton. These are just speculations.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I predict KO will have several deep runs in the NCAA tourney before his career ends. I'm just not sure he'll get the chance at UConn. And yes I know he hasn't coached one game. It's just an impression I get about this guy. I was 100% correct about Khalid and 100% wrong about Hazleton. These are just speculations.
Don't feel bad. I really believed in Cup Cormier.

H

Husk-E

Um, he hasn't even coached a game yet or been on the job for even a week. It's way, way too early for this thread.
I completely agree. I see that people want to be optimistic and try try to predict the future, but come on now. The guy has never coached a game here in his life and there are already people trying to debate whether or not he'll win a national title? Is this what the off-seasons are going to be like?

Reaction Score
This really makes no sense to me at this point and time. He has a one year contract right now so the answer is no- if he gets the perm job I think he can do it if he has a long NCAA coaching career.

Look at Uk or Indi- it can be a long road getting back into the position where you are playing for NCs after a legend leaves your program. JB at Quse has 1 and is a HOF coach. I hope fans understand that and enjoy the ride as much as I did watching us improve in the early 90s.

UCONN fans are spoiled. I personally enjoyed being spoiled. But if fans start bitching because we have not made a FF or won a BEC a few years from now- they are delusional.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Don't feel bad. I really believed in Cup Cormier.
I sometimes find my self remembering that big-step-delay thing he did on the way to the key. Weird.

Reaction Score
Hey it took Calhoun 13 years to reach his first Final Four and National Championship. Before 1999 he had teams that had the talent to reach the Final Four but came up short(1990,95,96,98). All of us UConn fans should know how hard it is to win a championship. In those years i mentoined, the tournament losses were VERY hard. Thats what made 1999, 2004 and 2011 so special. I have faith that Ollie is the right choice and i hope he gets the opportunity to stick around for a while to continue the tradition that Calhoun set while building his own foundation for the future.

Reaction Score
Hey it took Calhoun 13 years to reach his first Final Four and National Championship. Before 1999 he had teams that had the talent to reach the Final Four but came up short(1990,95,96,98). All of us UConn fans should know how hard it is to win a championship. In those years i mentoined, the tournament losses were VERY hard. Thats what made 1999, 2004 and 2011 so special. I have faith that Ollie is the right choice and i hope he gets the opportunity to stick around for a while to continue the tradition that Calhoun set while building his own foundation for the future.

Great points......they key here for KO to have success is annual NCAA tourney visits and deep runs on occasion.......NC's are great but timing, brackets, the planets and everything imaginable comme's in to play.

Reaction Score
If I could see the future I'd use that for the stock market, not Ollie and and championships.

But I voted yest for the hell of it.

Reaction Score
Um, he hasn't even coached a game yet or been on the job for even a week. It's way, way too early for this thread.

No its not. It is absolutely the first thing that a new coach must address. Does the coach believe he can win a national championship at UConn? If not, do not apply.

Reaction Score
That doesn't get Ollie off the hook...UConn is in a completely different place from where it was when Calhoun arrived. It is a national program now, not some modest regional one that considered victories over Fairfield and Holy Cross big deals. Ollie is coming into a program that is national and competes at the highest levels, has won 3 championships and been to 4 Final fours.. Calhoun took over a program that was maybe in the Top 5 in New England. As I said elsewhere, i don't think UConn fans have high expectations for Ollie, or rather,they will accept less than exceptional results. that more than anything is the difference between UConn and the true blue blood college programs.

Reaction Score
No its not. It is absolutely the first thing that a new coach must address. Does the coach believe he can win a national championship at UConn? If not, do not apply.
Palatine,

you and I are in a minority on this, I believe. I think most UConn fans would be perfectly happy with Herb Sendek's NCState performance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Palatine,

you and I are in a minority on this, I believe. I think most UConn fans would be perfectly happy with Herb Sendek's NCState performance.
Do you think if you repeat this often enough it will make it true? I don't think it is remotely close to accurate and would love to know what you are basing it on.

Reaction Score
Read what people are posting about UConn post Calhoun. Read what people post when I ask what they expect from Kevin Ollie. Read Ts5034's post. He figures UConn gets back in 13 years all will be well...At least I know Palatine and I expect Ollie to win championships and do it soon. If he can't do it in a reasonable time schedule, like 3-5 years he should be gone. Herb Sendek like 20-12s don't cut it. What are your standards,HuskyBball?

caw

Reaction Score
Palatine,

No, but I wouldn't be upset if (excluding this year) Ollie had a 8 year run similar to what Jamie Dixon had at Pitt his first 8 years. Would you? Three Sweet Sixteens, an Elite Eight, three second round losses and one first round loss. Honestly, without some bad luck, Pitt should have at least one Final Four. BTW Dixon had seven 25+ wins per year during those eight years.

Asking for a NC in 3-5 years is unrealistic for ANY program. I'd like to think people are a bit more realistic than that.

Reaction Score
yea I hope our next coach builds one of th eclassic choke teams of the modern era too...NOT!

Reaction Score
I'm sure Ollie has the mindset and believes that he can win a national championship here, but the question that was asked was do we think he can. And it's far too early for us to judge that.

caw

Reaction Score
yea I hope our next coach builds one of th eclassic choke teams of the modern era too...NOT!

Whether they choke or not, Pitt was in the race most of those years. That's where you want your coach to put you, in place to win. The NCAAT can never be considered a guarantee.

What coaches out there would you not complain about having?

Guys who have won in their first 5 years at a blue blood school:

Bill Self @ Kansas: Fifth year NCAAT Champions - good thing he won that year, job was on the line.
Bobby Knight @ Indiana: Fifth year

John Calipari @ UK: Third Year
Roy Williams @ UNC: Second Year
Tubby Smith @ UK: NCAA Champion in his First Year

Do you need a list of those who haven't?

Did I miss anyone?

Reaction Score
I remember the G'town game in 89 or 90 at the Cap Center in Landover, Maryland. Before the game, at an alumni event, Dee Rowe was waxing poetic how Calhoun had performed a miracle in winning the NIT. Then, Calhoun spoke and said it wasn't any miracle. He had high expectations and expected to achieve them.

That's what you want in a coach.

Reaction Score
Read what people are posting about UConn post Calhoun. Read what people post when I ask what they expect from Kevin Ollie. Read Ts5034's post. He figures UConn gets back in 13 years all will be well...At least I know Palatine and I expect Ollie to win championships and do it soon. If he can't do it in a reasonable time schedule, like 3-5 years he should be gone. Herb Sendek like 20-12s don't cut it. What are your standards,HuskyBball?
I think you missed my point scooter. The bottom line is you have to give Ollie time. And by the way i dont care what school it is, saying championship in 3-5 years or bust is just stupid, unfair and unrealistic. The question i always asked is if not Kevin Ollie, who do you think would actually want the job that has proved he will win????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom