UConn's Football Failures Are Catching Up to It, and the School Has Itself to Blame (P. Forde @ SI Column) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn's Football Failures Are Catching Up to It, and the School Has Itself to Blame (P. Forde @ SI Column)

Reaction Score
Currently #118 recruiting class on 247sports.com, but catching up to #100 UMass - I'm not liking this springboard.

#79 on Rivals (best since 2013 on their site) in front former conference mates Houston, Navy, Tulsa, SMU, and USF. The prior year UConn was last in AAC recruiting rankings. And that class came in before the TV deal and many of home and homes were announced. And while early for 2021, UConn already sitting in 6th for best class in the AAC. I'm liking this springboard.

Reaction Score
I guess considering 0-19 in the latest conference run, this springboard has only one way to bounce. I'm sure that Liberty TV match up will draw a lot of eyeballs. Appreciate the optimism, but as they say, "you can't put lipstick on a pig"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think UConn had a shot but I don’t think we flubbed the opportunity. I think we just didn’t have the pedigree to beat out Cuse or Pitt and when it came to Louisville they had more of what the ACC football powers desired.
At the end of the day, as much as it seems like face saving, I think that fact held sway. Louisville had Johnny U, we had Danny O.

Reaction Score
Currently #118 recruiting class on 247sports.com, but catching up to #100 UMass - I'm not liking this springboard.
I’m not liking your research: As of 5/29 (w/ 4 players not rated yet)
008.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think we give Benedict a tad too much credit - those basketball only fans love him but if you look at it globally, Big East move not so good.

I will say since the administration decided to pull plug on football and basically just try to get as much $$$ as possibly from the sinking product - Benedict has done awesome securing $$$ games with powerhouses and getting every last cent he could for tv contract.
Mmm, no. "Globally" the move to the Big East is a good move. The AAC was killing our sports brand, not just basketball. The travel costs were $2M higher and the travel was draining on our athletes and coaches. We were a geographic outlier in what the conference morphed into. Quality of life will be improved for every UConn athlete across all sports.

The final straw was the media deal. It is worth less on a net basis, than the BE deal is currently and lasts for 12 years. When NBE deal is renegotiated it will in all likelihood be considerably higher. Think about that. The NBE 7 year old deal without football is worth more than the American's brand new deal with football. Seriously, stop and think about that, given the relative value of football and basketball. It is striking.

The deal took away the opportunity for regional broadcasts (something that had considerable value to UConn) and replaced it with a for pay internet access produced by the local schools. UConn would have needed to invest to create the infrastructure to be able to do that. They also would have had to carry the per game production costs including paying for broadcasters. It was essentially FloSports on steriods. We would have had no say on the quality of other schools broadcasts.

The move to Big East was a good deal across the board, not because it is the perfect situation for us, but because that simmering pile of feces known as the American Conference was an absolutely awful choice for us. Yeah, it is better for basketball, but it is better in practically every aspect. I'd like to have bowl access but other than that, the move is all win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice deflection after the recruiting fail. Goalposts off and running!
Ah, back to recruiting, looking at what we have so far this year, few, if any of these recruits had offers from P5 teams (however, we are kicking Monmouth's and Bryant's behinds). We are scraping the bottom, but our quantity of recruits should expand when the other schools fill their needs. There is no springboard with this recruiting - nice try to deflect, but we are basically last in line here. You can't put lipstick on this pig.

Reaction Score
I think UConn had a shot but I don’t think we flubbed the opportunity. I think we just didn’t have the pedigree to beat out Cuse or Pitt and when it came to Louisville they had more of what the ACC football powers desired.
UConn actually was considered over PItt, but then BC reared its ugly head. The Louisville debacle occurred after that when they wanted to add one more school and it was apparently between Louisville and UConn.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn actually was considered over PItt, but then BC reared its ugly head. The Louisville debacle occurred after that when they wanted to add one more school and it was apparently between Louisville and UConn.
Is there anyone on this board that was "in the room" so to speak when this all went down? To this day I am not convinced we were as close to making the AAC as suggested by some. I've always felt Bristol was part of that discussion and Bristol (tv $$ and markets) + BC venom + FSU & Clemson all did their part to override the BB schools for Louisville.

Reaction Score
Is there anyone on this board that was "in the room" so to speak when this all went down? To this day I am not convinced we were as close to making the AAC as suggested by some. I've always felt Bristol was part of that discussion and Bristol (tv $$ and markets) + BC venom + FSU & Clemson all did their part to override the BB schools for Louisville.

Personally, I find it hard to imagine we were ever really considered above Pitt given their much longer FBS football tradition.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, as much as it seems like face saving, I think that fact held sway. Louisville had Johnny U, we had Danny O.

Right. I think it just is reality. We joined FBS in 2000. That has always been the major factor holding us back. I mean, are there any programs in the P5 that were FCS until the 21st century? I certainly can't think of any.

Reaction Score
Educate me, so when they are rated we can share together...

Which site do you prefer 247 or Rivals (I'm guessing whichever has UConn ranked the lowest but put it on the record)

Either site works fine for me.

BTW - although surely you are aware, 5 stars top notch, 4 stars darn good, 3 stars good. No stars speaks for itself. The P5 schools are are active and deep into the 2021 recruiting process. The legit recruits have been evaluated long before this season by the serious teams (but again, surely you are aware of that). If they don't have stars by now.........well its off to Monmouth et al.

Reaction Score

BTW - although surely you are aware, 5 stars top notch, 4 stars darn good, 3 stars good. No stars speaks for itself. The P5 schools are are active and deep into the 2021 recruiting process. The legit recruits have been evaluated long before this season by the serious teams (but again, surely you are aware of that). If they don't have stars by now.........well its off to Monmouth et al.

+ the top tier G5 schools, and overall top 100 programs are well into the recruiting signing/process.

Reaction Score

Well, let’s use UConn’s recent OL commit Yakiri Walker as an example. He was not rated by 247 (no stars as you say) prior to his committing to UConn on 5/25. On May 28th he was evaluated by 247 and graded as a 3 star player w/ a .8173 grade and listed out as the 64th OG in the country. One would think he was a “legit recruit” eh (“A low three-star (80-83): is a player that we consider to be a potential contributor at a Power Five program but a probable Group of Five starter with impact potential”).

There are other examples but you get the drift.

Reaction Score
Interesting differentiation in roster strengths...

“A low three-star (80-83): is a player that we consider to be a potential contributor at a Power Five program but a probable Group of Five starter with impact potential."

Reaction Score
I, of course, only know what I read in the "fake news", but I do believe that ESPN was definitely behind it all and the dumb legislators of CT gave them a tax break!

Reaction Score

I think ESPN totally made the decision for the ACC to add Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville.

Reaction Score
Well, let’s use UConn’s recent OL commit Yakiri Walker as an example. He was not rated by 247 (no stars as you say) prior to his committing to UConn on 5/25. On May 28th he was evaluated by 247 and graded as a 3 star player w/ a .8173 grade and listed out as the 64th OG in the country. One would think he was a “legit recruit” eh (“A low three-star (80-83): is a player that we consider to be a potential contributor at a Power Five program but a probable Group of Five starter with impact potential”).

There are other examples but you get the drift.
Maybe you would consider him a P5 starter, but I don't see the P5 offers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom