UConn's Death line-up | The Boneyard

UConn's Death line-up

Reaction Score
Golden State popularized the "death line-up" term which was a lethal small ball line-up that they used to absolutely obliterate teams. The starting five were

Stephen Curry
Klay Thompson
Andre Igoudala
Draymond Green
Kevin Durant

Now Golden State plays the brand of team basketball that UConn has been playing for years. But that prompted me to look at the roster and imagine a death line-up. Here's mine (once healthy)

Nika
Paige
Azzi
Christyn
Caroline

Offensively I think this team would obliterate teams with mismatches. Defensively, I think this team could work together and help on defense/maybe play zone. With Nika running the show, Paige orchestrating things, Azzi and her shooting and Caroline doing Caroline things, no way a BE team like DePaul even with Morrow gets close. If Aaliyah was anywhere close to the Aaliyah of last year I'd swap her for Nika and this team would be unstoppable. What's your death line-up?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Golden State popularized the "death line-up" term which was a lethal small ball line-up that they used to absolutely obliterate teams. The starting five were

Stephen Curry
Klay Thompson
Andre Igoudala
Draymond Green
Kevin Durant

Now Golden State plays the brand of team basketball that UConn has been playing for years. But that prompted me to look at the roster and imagine a death line-up. Here's mine (once healthy)

Nika
Paige
Azzi
Christyn
Caroline

Offensively I think this team would obliterate teams with mismatches. Defensively, I think this team could work together and help on defense/maybe play zone. With Nika running the show, Paige orchestrating things, Azzi and her shooting and Caroline doing Caroline things, no way a BE team like DePaul even with Morrow gets close. If Aaliyah was anywhere close to the Aaliyah of last year I'd swap her for Nika and this team would be unstoppable. What's your death line-up?
Just curious. Who would be the equivalents of Draymond and Igoudala in your lineup? Ducharme and Williams?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The best lineup generally would be Dorka, Liv, Christyn, Paige, Caroline with Azzi first off the bench. If they need to guard the 3 or come back from behind I'd go Liv, Christyn, Azzi, Paige, Caroline with Dorka first off the bench. I love Azzi off the bench because she keeps the offense firing no matter who you take out just about and makes the 2nd unit combinations very strong. Christyn needs to be in there because you want to run and convert on turnovers plus she defends well. She also deserves it for her overall performance and leadership. She is our 2nd leading scorer overall and reputedly best defender. Paige and Caroline are good offensively and defensively. Liv is our best paint defender and rebounds about as well as Dorka and scores well but I think 2 bigs really helps us rebound whatever shots are missed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let me add this about a starting line-up; it’s not as important as the line-up in the game at crunch time. For that reason, I can envision Geno leaving Evina, a senior, in the starting line up and bringing either Azzi or Caroline in off the bench. Geno loves to bring in a change of pace and a scoring punch off the bench after the opponent’s defense has had time to settle in.

So, the starters come in, run up a 5-7 point lead then the defense adjusts and play the Huskies even. Geno subs in Azzi/Caroline/Dorka and the defense has to figure out how to stop UConn again. Keep the other guys off balance - classic UConn basketball.

The key to the above is scoring, which has been an issue this season. With Paige and Azzi back, and Christyn and Liv playing better ball, that may not be as much an issue.

Reaction Score
Paige
Azzi
Christyn
Caroline
Liv

First off the bench is either Evina or Dorka, depending on the matchups.
Love this thread! During the off season, I was thinking about the "Death" Line-up like the Warriors had and what could Coach Geno put together with the roster we had, even with the players that transferred. Like @HuskyNan, I have something similar. My only twist is I have Dorka instead of Christyn in my "Death" line-up.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
After watching the DePaul game, I think Azzi has to start as long as she scores more points than she gives up on defense. I also think Caroline starts because it takes her a few minutes to get game savvy. She rarely (ever?) makes here first 3-point shot of the game. A really good player coming off the bench needs to shoot well immediately. So, HuskyNan's lineup looks really good unless we have to play SC again. Then, we have to start Liv and Dorka in that game and ad lib it from there.

Reaction Score
Love this thread! During the off season, I was thinking about the "Death" Line-up like the Warriors had and what could Coach Geno put together with the roster we had, even with the players that transferred. Like @HuskyNan, I have something similar. My only twist is I have Dorka instead of Christyn in my "Death" line-up.
Yep, I like Dorka in the starting line-up, and getting about 25 minutes per game. Who she replaces is the big question. Either Liv or Christyn. No knock on either of them, I just think that is an overall stronger line-up, It's fun to play coach, no pressure.

Reaction Score
CW is going to get a lot more open shots and drives to the basket with defenses concentrating on the three great outside shooters, so she needs to remain in the lineup much of the time.......ONO's passing and picks/screens are also needed to make this offense work, never mind her defensive capabilities.........she will also be freed up inside with defenses no longer able to collapse due to lack of outside shooting......that's going to help Dorka too......

Reaction Score
This lineup will get itself obliterated. Too small against a team with dominant post(s). A couple of them will probably foul out before the half's over.
The current team has no answer for a team with dominant post(s) anyway. If you don't have the answer with your own bigs, the suggested lineup might not be any worse.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is which lineup is best against the top teams. If we are playing most of the top teams we are going to want 2 bigs most of the time. That means Dorka and Liv with Edwards spelling them. We also are going to need guard defenders and good 3 point shooting and fewer turnovers. To me the best mix there is Christyn, Paige, Caroline with Azzi off the bench spelling them in rotation. I think we match up with any team with that lineup. For sure though we are going to want 2 bigs against SC and Stanford and probably others.

Reaction Score
Beyond silly... No attack but simply a non even close to a reality post. You have ...
With Nika running the show, Paige orchestrating things, witch is it?
Roll another one... ???
I can understand your response here. Nika in my opinion sets the effort pace for everyone. On offense and defense. Paige for me is the best playmaker and sets everyone up for their best shot. Having a effort and system manager on the floor is what I meant.

Reaction Score
The current team has no answer for a team with dominant post(s) anyway. If you don't have the answer with your own bigs, the suggested lineup might not be any worse.
Yeah that's exactly where I was heading with. The advantage is bringing out larger posts and making them guard on the perimeter. Honestly, I think once Ducharme figures out hand up defense she will be an elite post defender on tweeners like Morrow and others who are just too quick for a 6'5 player like Ododa or Juhasz.

Reaction Score
Just curious. Who would be the equivalents of Draymond and Igoudala in your lineup? Ducharme and Williams?
Yes, Ducharme is my Green and Igoudala is my Williams.

Reasoning: I think this year Ducharme HAD to be a guard. Which honestly is great for her development because once Geno sends her to work with the posts next year she's going to be a terror. The way she posts up. Her blocking shots. She's had to be offensive minded this year but I think her versatility is going to really surprise people. And on top of all that she makes ALL of her lay-ups.

Reasoning: Williams is my Igoudala. Could be Finals MVP whenever she wants. Could be a defensive stopper. Very much a gamer. I think she plays best in high pressure games. She loves the tournament and has always played well there. Against top talent like Louisville, Notre Dame (back then) Iowa, Baylor, and Arizona (before that awful call.) She shines. If she was active against Oregon they don't lose.

Also, my lineup would be larger if Aaliyah could figure it out. She's the missing link. Her with a slew of guards transforms everything. At 6'3 she's my Draymond if she shows a sliver of what we saw last year.

Reaction Score
Yeah that's exactly where I was heading with. The advantage is bringing out larger posts and making them guard on the perimeter. Honestly, I think once Ducharme figures out hand up defense she will be an elite post defender on tweeners like Morrow and others who are just too quick for a 6'5 player like Ododa or Juhasz.
Caroline also can shoot the 3, drive to the basket (ala DePaul), and has an excellent midrange jumper to go along with her rapidly improving defense...

I agree she will continue to start, and play 32 - 40 minutes, more if OT...

Reaction Score
Nika, Paige and Caroline start, to set the pace. Add in any of CW, Dorka, Azzi and Liv for the other 2 starters. The other 2 and AE off the bench. I’d say Dorka and CW, but not as important as the 3 key starters for me.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Reasoning: I think this year Ducharme HAD to be a guard. Which honestly is great for her development because once Geno sends her to work with the posts next year she's going to be a terror. The way she posts up. Her blocking shots. She's had to be offensive minded this year but I think her versatility is going to really surprise people. And on top of all that she makes ALL of her lay-ups.

Reasoning: Williams is my Igoudala. Could be Finals MVP whenever she wants. Could be a defensive stopper. Very much a gamer. I think she plays best in high pressure games. She loves the tournament and has always played well there. Against top talent like Louisville, Notre Dame (back then) Iowa, Baylor, and Arizona (before that awful call.) She shines. If she was active against Oregon they don't lose.

Also, my lineup would be larger if Aaliyah could figure it out. She's the missing link. Her with a slew of guards transforms everything. At 6'3 she's my Draymond if she shows a sliver of what we saw last year.
Your interpretations and likenesses are extremely generous. Which one of these players is going to stop the likes of Boston, Brink, Cunane, etc.?

Reaction Score

I like the thought but it doesn't work for the lineup you suggest vs quality post teams.

Kevin Durant is 6'11 and a shot blocker. Just because he is an outside shooter doesn't mean he isn't a very good off-the-ball rim protector. In 16-17 Duran was 9th in NBA in blocked shots average per game. In 17-18 he was 5th.

And Green is burly and can handle bigger posts to an extent.

Your lineup has no shot blocker in any form. Ducharme gets her blocked shots vs other guards. And Ducharme is not burly. She can't handle physical posts without some additional help inside. She can play a PF with help from a big. But no shot at center. She isn't thta tall, isn't that burly, or that athletic to defend quality bigs inside without some tall help.

Your lineup imo needs to be more like Dorka, Ducharme, CWill, Azzi, and Paige. The problem is Dorka and Ducharme at this point aren't "terrific defenders" in the mold of Green and Durant." Not saying you can't do it but saying it's high risk for competent teams that can exploit the paint ; and with lousy refereeing like we experienced with the Grammar School Refs at DePaul, this lineup puts some added risk on Dorka/Ducharme if played for an extended period of time.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is which lineup is best against the top teams. If we are playing most of the top teams we are going to want 2 bigs most of the time. That means Dorka and Liv with Edwards spelling them. We also are going to need guard defenders and good 3 point shooting and fewer turnovers. To me the best mix there is Christyn, Paige, Caroline with Azzi off the bench spelling them in rotation. I think we match up with any team with that lineup. For sure though we are going to want 2 bigs against SC and Stanford and probably others.
Exactly what I think! Add Nika if you want also for subbing/spelling; hopefully, the good shooting she showed last game continues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom