UCONN's Big Three for 2022-23 season | The Boneyard

UCONN's Big Three for 2022-23 season

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The Big Three will be Azzi, Caroline, and Dorka. The DePaul game was a precursor. Dorka passes to a cutting Azzi and to a cutting Caroline over, and over. Azzi from three over and over. Caroline, Geno's closer, with the game winning drives over and over. Dorka, the board and outlet over and over.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Big Three will be Azzi, Caroline, and Dorka. The DePaul game was a precursor. Dorka passes to a cutting Azzi and to a cutting Caroline over, and over. Azzi from three over and over. Caroline, Geno's closer, with the game winning drives over and over. Dorka, the board and outlet over and over.

Over and over and over. I love it!!! :D

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I just hope Caroline will get the opportunity to be a part of the Big Three or Four. If she starts at the beginning of the season, I believe she will have a very productive season.

Reaction Score
I just hope Caroline will get the opportunity to be a part of the Big Three or Four. If she starts at the beginning of the season, I believe she will have a very productive season.
Let me put it this way. There seems to be little margin for ncaa tournament success (final 4 or better) with this year's team. Without Caroline, as you hoped, as a part of the big 3/4, I think Uconn would have a decent chance of making the final 4 or contend for the championship.

Reaction Score

The game when I finally understood the Carol Bird nickname.jk.
I've watched these highlights a bunch but it still never gets old. Dorkas passing in that game was really impressive.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It constantly amazes me how, on almost every post, people sleep on Amari. I think her improvement and contributions at the post will be the single most critical element in this team development. I've said this before, but it seems I'm saying it in a desert.

Reaction Score
Ducharme is so good, she loves being around basket and gets good position and asks for ball with hands ready to catch. If she gets the pass, there is absolutely no hesitation about shooting. And, she will kill the other team from the outside too. That last basket against DePaul was not an easy play but wow did she look smooth- the silent assassin!

Reaction Score
I like the concept of a big 3 but if the team doesn't rebound it'll be wait till next year again. The bog 3 listed all scores and shooters but none of them are noted for their rebounding and if they just happen to miss their shot and we become 1 and done then we will be done again so imma wish for a big 3 that attacks the bounds and will rebound our misses and the other team's as well. my big 3 Ice, Patterson, and Aliyah IMHO

Reaction Score
Every poster has picked 3 or 4 players as the key to UCONN's success this season. My take is 11 players for a successful season. Most opponents have improved this season. No team should be overlooked. the caveat that any team can be beaten on any given day. What will take this team to the Final Four and the championship game is their unity and cohesiveness.Every player on this team at any given time can explode and score in double figures as well as playing stiff defense. GO HUSKIES!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure who will be the Big 2, Big 3, Big 4, etc., but I'm pretty sure Azzi will be included. I think Dorka and Liya may be included. I hope Caroline will be. But I'm way more bullish on Lou than some of the skeptics here. As Doug Bruno and Geno say, it's called "basket" ball, and the key is to put the ball in the basket. Other than Azzi, I think Lou will do that better than anyone on the team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It constantly amazes me how, on almost every post, people sleep on Amari. I think her improvement and contributions at the post will be the single most critical element in this team development. I've said this before, but it seems I'm saying it in a desert.
No, we all see her potential, which is huge. We just want to see her fulfill it in practice and in games.

Reaction Score
I'm voting for depth of talent as the theme for this season. Behind the B3 or B4 are a lot of great players. The question with most of them is experience but they are a large, highly talented and diverse group. UConn has had freshmen play big roles in the last 2 seasons and I see that continuing this coming season.

Reaction Score
When I think of classic Uconn I think of 4 names. Lobo, Rizzotti, Berube and Elliott. Power, fearlessness, consistency and grit. This is what we need in 2022-23. Who will fill those shoes?

Kat

Reaction Score
I'm voting for depth of talent as the theme for this season. Behind the B3 or B4 are a lot of great players. The question with most of them is experience but they are a large, highly talented and diverse group. UConn has had freshmen play big roles in the last 2 seasons and I see that continuing this coming season.
Yes, it'll be a full squad and whoever steps up will differ from game to game. I think that Ice Brady, even though a frosh, could really step up and get significant playing time.

Reaction Score
This is a question with 2 layers:
1. Who will be the core players by tournament time?
2. Who will start in Nov-Dec?

To #2, I'd say the veterans will start -- Nika Azzi Caroline Aaliyah Dorka

To #1, my guess is in two parts, the key 3 (who will play 30+ mins each) and the main rotation (who will play 15-20 mins). I expect Geno (as usual) to play 6+ or 7+ in the tournament. Therefore, the key 3: Azzi Caroline Aaliyah; and the main rotation: Lou Nika Dorka Amari Ice. The others will get minutes on a smaller scale.

If I'm wrong about this, it will probably be because of injury or incomplete recovery.

Reaction Score
Personally I’m hoping Azzi and CD have a sophomore year that rivals KLS and Pheesa
I think Caroline until she got hurt was a bigger factor then Pheesa as a freshmen. Pheesa came into her own as a shopmore. If Caroline improves over the healthy Caroline I think it will really be as far as scoring is concerned the big 2. Azzi of course being the other scorer. Not saying that others on a given night will not be the high scorer but on a consistent basis it will be those 2. Aaliyah, hopefully shows us a consistent jumper from the elbow as well as finishing around the hoop. One thing she is really good at is defense. She shut down Maddie Seagrest and hopefully she can do it the Morrow as well. Dorka will take over the job of Liv ans the passer to the cutters and setting the screens for Azzi. She will score similar to Liv. We have some wild cards like Aubrey, Amari, Ice, Lou and Patterson. They all have a lot of ability and will determine how good we really are. I am chewing my fingernails waiting for the season to start.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Having a Big 3 doesn't preclude the others being significant, nor does acknowledging a Big 3 diss the rest of the team. Stewie, Moriah, and Tuck couldn't have done what they did without Stef, KML, Kelly, Hartley, Gabby, Kia, Pheesa, Lou, Saniya . . .

I like the OP, although rather than cite specific players, I'd say, the key this year might be having a good high-post passer. Seems like a few years since UConn has had a really good one. I think Azzi and Caroline both being good shooters and cutters will really create opportunities for a good high-post passer.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Having a Big 3 doesn't preclude the others being significant, nor does acknowledging a Big 3 diss the rest of the team. Stewie, Moriah, and Tuck couldn't have done what they did without Stef, KML, Kelly, Hartley, Gabby, Kia, Pheesa, Lou, Saniya . . .

I like the OP, although rather than cite specific players, I'd say, the key this year might be having a good high-post passer. Seems like a few years since UConn has had a really good one. I think Azzi and Caroline both being good shooters and cutters will really create opportunities for a good high-post passer.

The Big 3 were really good--1x, 2x, and 3x All-American. Stewie is a 2x WNBA champion, MVP, and already 3x FIBA WC Gold Medalist. But the 2016 supporting cast includes Olympian Kia Nurse, Olympic Bronze Medalist Gabby Williams, Olympic Gold Medalist Napheesa Collier, and would-be Olympic Gold Medalist in the 3x3 Katie Lou Samuelson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom