UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............

Reaction Score
PeeCee without a doubt - but they will be absolutely loaded next year - they landed some real nice talent via the transfer portal
No more Cuse, too bad
Cuse isn’t really a good game anymore anyway. They aren’t good

Reaction Score
Villanova. We are both championship tier programs

I agree, they are the biggest game on the conference schedule but there is no bad blood, and frankly, they only took over because we left (stayed). Nova is great, but the nastiness of the rivalries with PC and SJU was definitely more intense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree, they are the biggest game on the conference schedule but there is no bad blood, and frankly, they only took over because we left (stayed). Nova is great, but the nastiness of the rivalries with PC and SJU were definitely more intense.
Nastiness? I never for a minute even considered them a rival. GTown/Syracuse/Nova. No one else we’re good enough to be a rival.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Surprised by so many people saying PC. They are close by but we're a big time national program, they aren't. It was always fun playing them but I never considered them a rival.
we do, cuz, you know, that little thing about us playing them in sports, for, idk, like 100 years.

Reaction Score
Nastiness? I never for a minute even considered them a rival. GTown/Syracuse/Nova. No one else we’re good enough to be a rival.
It was extremely nasty when SJU had Thornton, Postell, Barkley, Artest in 1998. It was so nasty that coach Uncle Phil moved the regular SJU vs UConn games from the weekend to weekdays in an attempt to gain some type of home court advantage. Weekends at MSG where we brought in fans by the busload simply overpowered their fan base, it wasn't even fair. In fact, I think those SJU teams were about as vile a big east team I can remember.

Aside: sports-reference.com lists that roster including an individual by the name of meta world peace. retroactive I suppose.

Reaction Score
This thread is so strange.

Reaction Score
Providence because of sheer geographical proximity. Theres also both coaches going at it when Hurley was at URI. Not to say we'll have one "rival" but i see some big games going up against them especially because they'll be close to top 25 next year. Nova is obvious but they've wiped the floor with us 2/3 years so it'll take some time for the organic rival relationship to develop again. We were close this year but close doesn't change the fact that they have beat us 3/4 times since we left the BE. As some of you said Xavier will be fun, especially after this years game in Charleston and the mutual disgust towards Cincy. St. Johns and Seton Hall are my next picks because of NYC and Jersey which is where we will be heavily recruiting and the fact that Danny played at SH. St. Johns hasn't been all that great but we'll have some great games against them hopefully at the garden and not at their other home stadium. Seton Hall will be fun cause you know Hurley is gonna get them fired up for the game and they've also been top 25 or close to the past 3 or 4 years.

Overalll when you break it down this conference fits so much better for UConn and as a fan Im actually getting excited about potential matchups. Now that i think about it ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa just didn't do it for me. Thankful for the opportunity and not trying to bash the AAC cause to be quite honest we haven't held our end of the bargain up in the AAC. With that being said, with the new coaching staff, new players, and new found excitement in the NBE we'll reclaim whats rightfully ours and this horrible AAC dream will be a distant past.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Nova for championships, Hoyas from years ago. But later it will Duke as ESPN sets up big money home and home series.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure about some of the respect thrown towards Xavier here. I think UConn fans will come around to throughly disliking Xavier. Growing up it always seemed like the preppy dork kids who THOUGHT they were awesome at basketball loved Xavier here in Cincy. It seems a lot like how UConn fans feel about Providence.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Cuse isn’t really a good game anymore anyway. They aren’t good
Games against Cuse in MSG are a blast. We’ve got some great history with them in the fan base is genuinely hate each other. I’m not sure that it’s a rivalry, based upon the fact that we don’t play each other consistently, but it’s probably the closest we actually have.

To you have a rivalry you need to have games that matter and one team, at least, has to have losses that sting. Nova is the team that is the best situated for that to happen. They are the Big East’s big dog, and we aim to be.

Reaction Score
Considering we went through separate periods where our biggest rivals were Pitt and Miami, I fully expect to hate Creighton and DePaul with a passion

Reaction Score
Providence, no doubt.
They aren't on our level. The geography has always been the same and they were never our rival before and they won't be now. Soon it will be UConn and Nova fighting it out for conference bragging rights, that will be your rivalry for the foreseeable future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom