UConn's Azzi Fudd has been named the USBWA freshman of the week | The Boneyard

UConn's Azzi Fudd has been named the USBWA freshman of the week

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anyone care to guess what Azzi's career high in points will be THIS season?

Right now it's at 25. I'm guessing a conservative 38. I'm thinking 42 (the single game scoring record for the UConn women :eek: is 46 by Nykesha Sales (precious) vs Stanford in 1998), but I'll go with 38. All she needs is just 1 night when her biorhythms are in sync, she feels real good, and the basket (to her) looks the size of a "hoola hoop", everything she puts up goes in, and.....................her teammates realize it, and feed her. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
We can't expect Azzi to have a Tennessee type of night even once a week. It' could well happen but we shouldn't put any more pressure on her than is there already. Added pressure didn't seem to help Caroline. Let's just enjoy whatever we can get and be thankful for it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We can't expect Azzi to have a Tennessee type of night even once a week. It' could well happen but we shouldn't put any more pressure on her than is there already. Added pressure didn't seem to help Caroline. Let's just enjoy whatever we can get and be thankful for it.
We (BYers) aren't putting any pressure on anyone, this is a public forum that I believe no players actually read.
An we can expect Azzi to have many games like her TN game and for Caroline to have many more exceptional games and Paige to have many more exceptional games when she returns. We can expect so much because we are fans of the Huskies!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't see Azzi scoring over 30 in any game the rest of this season. MAYBE in the NCAA's, but even then doubtful. Reason? The rest of the games, while some aren't easy, are not against top 10 or top 20 competition. I don't think Azzi fades back into the "woodwork" letting others take over, but she was wide open vs. Tenn, and more over, she was needed.

Battling in the post against a big Tennessee team was ... well... a battle. Post player scored 22, guards 53. But she did that without Caroline (or Paige). Some upcoming games will have a big UCONN advantage in the post, so we will probably try to feed it as much as possible.

With CD coming back, and hopefully a healthy Paige soon, I know Azzi will get her points but with all the other scoring options on the team, I'm not sure I see her often going over 20.

Remember historically, very few UCONN players have averaged 20 PPG for a season. Just too many other options. And I'm just not sure Azzi will be needed to score over 30 in any of the upcoming games. What do I know, though. We will see soon enough...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Right now it's at 25. I'm guessing a conservative 38. I'm thinking 42 (the single game scoring record for the UConn women :eek: is 46 by Nykesha Sales (precious) vs Stanford in 1998), but I'll go with 38. All she needs is just 1 night when her biorhythms are in sync, she feels real good, and the basket (to her) looks the size of a "hoola hoop", everything she puts up goes in, and.....................her teammates realize it, and feed her. Thoughts?
I like your thinking, but I'll take the under on 38. Hope you are right.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Azzi will score in the 20s a few more times. Maybe she'll top out at 29 or so. She'll also have some games of 12-15 or so, most likely. Regardless of the point total, I expect to see her shoot the ball well in most games.

Her second half against Tennessee was great--6 for 6 overall and 4 for 4 from distance, but a free throw that rimmed out. Her first half was good, but she has been better. With maybe one exception, she got shots in her wheelhouse, but missed several of them. She'll make those midrange shots more often than not. She also won't miss very many free throws. In terms of 3-pointers, I don't expect to her to shoot 7-9 very often, but if she is as open as she was on occasion in Sunday's game, she could match or exceed that. She is a world-class shooter. All of a sudden, the defenses have a major headache.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

38 points for Azzi? Since you asked ...

Reaction Score

Very unlikely she has a game with 30+ points this season. Against Tennessee, all of her threes were catch and shoot threes where she was wide open. Most teams will defend her more intensely than did Tennessee, especially now that she has had a break out game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We (BYers) aren't putting any pressure on anyone, this is a public forum that I believe no players actually read.
An we can expect Azzi to have many games like her TN game and for Caroline to have many more exceptional games and Paige to have many more exceptional games when she returns. We can expect so much because we are fans of the Huskies!!!
If they are smart (and they are) they would stay away from the BY. But with their extensive network of friends, relatives, etc. surely they know of the BY and maybe not lurked, but peaked in once or twice. One of the reasons why we should think twice before hitting "Post reply".

Reaction Score
I suspect with Caroline D. eventually coming back into
the starting position/ or rotation, that the team scoring
will be rather balanced and ... so... less likely for AZZI to
have a high scoring game during the remainer of the
Big East schedule... But , if needed, more points against
De Paul?? Even when Paige gets back , Paige will be
focusing on getting her timing down and so not necessarily
focusing on getting it to Azzi. .... and with so many
things for Geno to work on, it will be a luxury just to have
AZZI get even more " into the flow ", W/O the high scoring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom