UConn's all-time Top 10 players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn's all-time Top 10 players

Reaction Score
I don't think I would disagree with Carl's list. When you get down to #s 9 and 10, you could swap out players for two others, but what kind of argument is it is say Kara or Collier? Two greats? I'd just be inclined to broaden the list to maybe 20 and pick the top 2-0. But them I know, we'd be fighting for the 16-20 spots. Such is life.

Reaction Score
With this being said, I would not rank Moriah Jefferson among the top ten players in UConn history. She had two terrific seasons, but lest we forget, the bulk of point guard responsibilities were taken by Bria Hartley when she was a freshman and sophomore.

I don't agree with this-- which is why I say MoJeff gets a bad wrap. Hartley was averaging 16.2 ppg primarily because she was the sg. MoJeff led the team in assists primarily because she was the PG.

Further, MoJeff was the best perimeter defender. The one game UCONN was threatened- vs Baylor-- it was MoJeff primarily guarding Sims.

MoJeff arguably the greatest "guard" defender in UCONN History.

The greatest guard defender in UCONN history, that was also an amazing shooter (shot over 40% from 3 for her career) and a terrific assist to turnover ratio. In her soph through senior years -- all 3-- and elite defender, elite shooter and elite passer. The defense at the guard position is "best ever" at UCONN.

Reaction Score
1-- Stewart
2-- DT
3-- Maya
4-- MoJeff (She gets such a bad wrap. Her Jr and SR years she was supremely amazing.)
5-- Bird
6-- Lobo
7-- Tina
8-- Sales
9-- Bascom
10--- Rizzotti
Here's the B list
1- Swin
2- Kara Walters
3- Barbara Turner
4- KML
5- Svetlana
6-Jamelle
7-Tiffany Hayes
8-Gabby
9-Stef Dolson
10- Renee Mont.

Reaction Score
Williams was a LOT better. It's not even close.
Ted Williams was a much better hitter, obviously, but a very pedestrian defensive player while Joe Dimaggio shined in that category .....
9 World Series rings & 3 MVP rings.

View attachment 52486

How many World Series did Ted win? Right - zero. 1 Pennant. Stuffing stats is great, but I'm sorry - it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring!!
9 World Series rings & 3 MVP rings.

View attachment 52486

How many World Series did Ted win? Right - zero. 1 Pennant. Stuffing stats is great, but I'm sorry - it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring!!
Mickey Mantle was a better hitter than Joe Dimaggio ever thought about being despite being hampered by his serious knee issues and though Dimaggio was an exceptional defensive player, Mantle had the speed to run down balls Joe Dimaggio would never have gotten to, including that backhanded running catch off the bat of Gil Hodges that preserved Don Larsen's perfect game. Dimaggio's arrogance and ego helped contribute to Mantle's knee issues when, as a rookie, Mantle backed off a ball he was tracking because Dimaggio insisted he didn't want anyone "violating his space in centerfield" and got his cleats stuck in a storm drain, seriously tearing up his knee. As you can tell, although a staunch Yankee fan, I've never had a liking for Dimaggio though I respected his abilities.

Reaction Score
Only twice in the history of women’s basketball have all five starters been named as at least an HM all in the same year. Those two teams are the 2002 and 2014 UConn teams. The 2014 team had five starters who were ALL at least a two time All-American. That’s the stat I find the most mind blowing. It never happened before and I don’t see it happening ever again.
Give me Maya Moore any and every day and twice on Sunday .... Maya never was anything but terrific and Stewie was a no show for a big part of her freshman year... The one advantage Stewie had was her length both in height and wingspan but she wasn't as saavy and skilled as Maya was .... Stewie had more blocks but she was the center on the team and rarely does anyone on a team block as many shots as the center, even on ordinary teams .... How many more steals did Maya have and she was more an integral part of the offense, handling the ball appreciably more than Stewie ever did .... Maya was the Magic Johnson type of player who did a whole bunch of everything and one of the classiest ladies, if not THE Classiest, to ever done a Huskie uniform.

Reaction Score
"Stuffing stats."

:D

Or, you know, contributing to the offense. :rolleyes:

Anyway, rings don't determine a player's worth. That's not how that works.

Maria Conlon has 3 rings. Ann Strother has 2. Barbara Turner has 2. Jessica Moore has 2. Ashley Battle has 2. Jamelle Elliot has 1. Carla Berube has 1. Paige Sauer has 1. Kara Wolters has 1.

Kerry Bascom has 0 rings. Kerry Bascom is better than all of those players.

But.

If you're ready to say that DiMaggio is better than Williams because of rings, you have to be ready to say the same thing about D and Stewie. No ifs, ands, or buts about D's teammates in 2003 and 2004.
Since this discussion on UConn's all-time top ten has morphed to also include an interesting back and forth on Williams vs. DiMaggio, Q for you baseball aficionados: Which is the greater record, Williams' 406 season batting average in '41 or DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak? And which record do you feel is more unbreakable? Thanks.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I think you should expand this discussion to UConn's all-time best roster. Let's say 12 or 13 players. Then compare that roster against the all-time rosters of other historically prominent women's basketball teams such as Tennessee, Stanford, et al.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
It seemed as though Maya was always thinking and working as hard as she could.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Well, Williams' .406 season isn't a record, it's just the last time someone hit over .400.

The consecutive games hitting streak is difficult to break, obviously, but not actually an impressive record. It's a statistical oddity. It's one of those things that only means something because Joe DiMaggio did it. As a feat, it pales compared to hitting over .400 for the season.

Reaction Score
Well, Williams' .406 season isn't a record, it's just the last time someone hit over .400.

The consecutive games hitting streak is difficult to break, obviously, but not actually an impressive record. It's a statistical oddity. It's one of those things that only means something because Joe DiMaggio did it. As a feat, it pales compared to hitting over .400 for the season.
Well hitting .400 for a season certainly isn't a statistical oddity. 20 players have done it. Three did it three times.

ONE player hit in 56 straight games. No one else has even come close. Pete Rose (who had 1600 more hits and was a MUCH better baseball player than Ted Williams) came the closest, hitting in 44 straight games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think we need to include Moriah Jefferson in the top 10. Only she, Sue Bird, and Diana Taurus, among UCONN players, won the Nancy Lieberman Award more than once. Sue won the first three. Also Moriah was terrific on defense, a skill that does not get enough attention.
Moriah and Lindsey Harding are the only players to win a Lieberman Award and National Defensive Player of the Year award. Mo, Tuck, and KML were all overshadowed by Stewie. Moriah was good enough to win POY in a normal season.

Reaction Score
Well hitting .400 for a season certainly isn't a statistical oddity. 20 players have done it. Three did it three times.

ONE player hit in 56 straight games. No one else has even come close. Pete Rose (who had 1600 more hits and was a MUCH better baseball player than Ted Williams) came the closest, hitting in 44 straight games.

I know this is a post on the top 10 UConn players, but I can't let this go. Pete Rose was NOT a much better player than Ted Williams. Williams was the considerably better player. Consider the following, when one looks over their career stats in the following categories - Hits, Walks, 2B, HR, Runs, RBI, BA, OBP, SLG, OPS and Total Bases, Rose lead his league in these categories 25 times. Impressive. Williams lead the league in these categories 67 times! (despite missing 5 years of his prime due to two wars). Including leading both leagues in these categories 42 times, and leading the league in OBP or SLG an astounding 21 times. Williams was the much better player.

As for which to choose among the two accomplishments, hitting in 56 straight games is the record less likely to be equaled and the more unlikely achievement, but hitting .406 in a season is the more impressive achievement, given that it doesn't rely as much on lucky bounces and was sustained over a longer period of time.

Reaction Score

Well you're correct--batting .400 is not a record per se, but I do consider something that hasn't been done in baseball for nearly 80 years, a "statistical oddity"; and am skeptical of the records kept in the 1800s and early 20th century... So to me, since the Splendid Splinter is the last to hit .400, it is kind of his record in the truly modern game...

Wally East

Reaction Score
Best:

1. Stewie
2. Maya
3. DT
4. Sue
5. Mo
6. Rebecca
7. Tina
8. Nykesha
9. Kerry Bascom
10. Kara Wolters

Favorite:

1. Maya
2. Stewie
3. Swin
4. Nykesha
5. KML
6. Shea Ralph
7. Kerry Bascom
8. Rebecca
9. KLS
10. Tina

Wally East

Reaction Score
Well Pete had 3 of these (probably find them on E-Bay).

Neither here nor there, but this particular one is my favorite because it came from beating the Red Sox.

Yes, because Player A having better teammates than Player B definitely means that Player A is better than Player B. I think we've definitely established that in this thread. Yes, we definitely have.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Oh, and there WERE those 1600 more hits...

Pete Rose, whatever you think of him (I'm a Yankee fan and am totally indifferent), had an unbelievable competitive drive - maybe too much, in some people's opinions. Talent isn't enough - it takes competitive spirit (i.e. "the heart of a champion") to win at the highest level. Pete won. Joe won. Mickey won. Ted stuffed stats for 19 years and never won a thing.

Yeah, see, the thing is -- Pete didn't win. The Reds won. Joe didn't win. The Yankees won. There's a bunch of other guys, especially pitchers, that make a big difference in how teams fare.

As for Pete Rose vs. Ted Williams. No, this isn't close.

I hate batting average as a stat but: Pete's lifetime average is .303. Ted's was .344.

On-base:
Pete: .375
Ted: .482

Slugging Percentage:
Pete: .409
Ted: .634

Oh, and just in case there's any question about home vs. road.

AWAY: BA/OBP/SLG
Pete: .296/.366/.393
Ted: .328/.467/.615

Ted was a better hitter, better at getting on base, and hit for a lot more power. This isn't even a comparison.

Reaction Score
Oh, and there WERE those 1600 more hits...

Pete played 23 years and Ted only played 19 because of serving in the wars. If Ted had played 23 years, and if he had gotten his career average # hits during those 4 more years, then he would have only gotten 1043 fewer hits than Pete. If you say he probably missed what would have been his most productive years, and you give him DOUBLE his career average # hits for each of those years (a ridiculous 279 hits per year), then he would still have 485 fewer hits than Pete.

Pete Rose, whatever you think of him (I'm a Yankee fan and am totally indifferent), had an unbelievable competitive drive - maybe too much, in some people's opinions. Talent isn't enough - it takes competitive spirit (i.e. "the heart of a champion") to win at the highest level. Pete won. Joe won. Mickey won. Ted stuffed stats for 19 years and never won a thing.

And Pete made about 5000 more out than Ted. That stuff counts too. And can we stop this stuffing stats nonsense. I suppose Naphessa was just “stuffing stats” her last three years at UConn? Let’s move on.

Reaction Score
And Pete made about 5000 more out than Ted. That stuff counts too. And can we stop this stuffing stats nonsense. I suppose Naphessa was just “stuffing stats” her last three years at UConn? Let’s move on.
Personally a comparison between Williams and Rose is an apples to oranges comparison, or at least apples to pears because they played in entirely different eras, for the most part. Williams played mostly in an era where there were no night games, little or no relief pitching and most importantly, for much of his career in the American League, Williams played in era of segregation where there were no black or Latino players. So for much of his career, unlike Rose, Williams didn't have to face pitchers like Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal, or bat against outfields with a Mays, Aaron or Clemente in it like Rose did. Both great players, but they played in entirely different eras...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just watched the only Kerry Bascom game I could find: the Final Four game in 1991 against Virginia. Bascom had a mediocre game because of early foul trouble, but Uconn played well and kept it close.
She, and we, got jobbed.

Reaction Score
Top ten favorite Huskies (a personal list)

1. Gabby Williams
2. Kelly Farris
3. Crystal Dangerfield
4. Moriah Jefferson
5. Svetlana Abrosimova
6. Naphessa Collier
7. Morgan Tuck
8. Stefanie Dolson
9. Diana Taurasi
10. Total cop out, and it depends on the day of the week that you ask me, but a tie between Sue Bird, Jen Rizzotti, Jamelle Elliot, Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Kia Nurse, Shea Ralph, Swin Cash, Renee Montgomery, Pam Webber, Katie Lou Samuelson, Rebecca Lobo, Caroline Doty, Stacy Hansmeyer, and a few more I no doubt forgot.

What a pleasure it has been to be a UConn fan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's 3 above all. My pick. DT.

Look at the roster. Compare DTs roster on her last 2 championships to any of Stewies 4 championship rosters or Mayas 2.

Which of her teammates, would crack the other starting lineups?

Foster from Ohio State stated that if DT played on 10 different teams, each would be the favorite to win it all.

She gave me the same feeling that MJ did. As long as he/she's on that team. That team will win. No matter who the other 4 were. Killers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom