UConn's all-time Top 10 players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's all-time Top 10 players

Reaction Score
Admittedly, picking UConn’s GOAT, a program whose Mount Rushmore is better depicted by the Terracotta Sculptures of China, is significantly perilous. For how can anyone truly say Maya Moore, the program ‘s all-time leading scorer, second highest rebounder-- has top five stats in the top five stats is second to anyone?

So let me differentiate in this way: Just as Magic Johnson said about his contemporary and greatest rival: “Nobody could do all the things that Larry Bird could do”, the same could be said of Stewie—she was the most composite player—male or female, mind you--that the collegiate sport has ever known. No one could do all the things Stewie could do: great post player, great mid-range shot ,even good behind the arc. Incredibly gifted great footwork, soft hands; with those immensely long arms of hers, she was a great defender, shot-blocker and rebounder.

I’m also going to respectfully disagree with Carl Adamec and the rest who say that the ’02 team lead by DT was UConn’s best edition of basketball. IMO, the 13-14 team, 40 and 0, was dominant as any team ever, three All-Americans, 6 players eventually going to the pro rank; and with that incomparable line up, they were never really challenged all year; They were the best--it’s not even close. Alongside Stewie was dependable, reliable Stephanie Dolson, a superb post player; and at guard, another All-American, Bria Hartley; then we have the lizard quick Mo Jeff; and don't forget the program’s all-time trey shooter, KML, and as well the great defender and rebounder, Kiah Stokes coming off the bench to provide an almost impenetrable front court. I mean they had it all, in every imaginable way. Gutty and gritty, sleek and splendid at the same time.

Another way the 14 team outshines the 02 team is by their respective competition. By the 2013-14 season, women’s teams were much better—not necessarily better players, but more better players, deeper rosters on each team. More depth. By this time, UConn, Tenn. et al, had grown college basketball to more competitive levels.
Only twice in the history of women’s basketball have all five starters been named as at least an HM all in the same year. Those two teams are the 2002 and 2014 UConn teams. The 2014 team had five starters who were ALL at least a two time All-American. That’s the stat I find the most mind blowing. It never happened before and I don’t see it happening ever again.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
9 World Series rings & 3 MVP rings.

View attachment 52486

How many World Series did Ted win? Right - zero. 1 Pennant. Stuffing stats is great, but I'm sorry - it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring!!
:eek: Speaking of stat stuffing, why are there 10 rings in the box if Joe only won 9?

Reaction Score
:eek: Speaking of stat stuffing, why are there 10 rings in the box if Joe only won 9?
He had 3 MVP rings

1585603647320.png

Reaction Score
Only twice in the history of women’s basketball have all five starters been named as at least an HM all in the same year. Those two teams are the 2002 and 2014 UConn teams. The 2014 team had five starters who were ALL at least a two time All-American. That’s the stat I find the most mind blowing. It never happened before and I don’t see it happening ever again.
Super great stat! More significant than any of those that I listed about the 2014 team. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction Score
Tina is still underrated. So is Collier.
Not at all trying to change the coarse of this thread (others have taken care of that ;) ) just a comment on Tina.
While I think it is nice to see a topic taking the elephant in the room off our minds, top 10 lists are very subject to regardless of statistics be simply opinion.
The word era comes to mind as the women's game has evolved a lot over the last three decades. Surrounding cast has a lot to do with performance along with what the coaching staff desires from each player.

With that I have a vision of Olivia in the same light as Tina. While the writer here states she did not break out until late in her junior year, due to a very talented surrounding cast, I remember something different.
I remember a head coach pushing and prodding Tina at every chance much as he has with "O". Tina's stats were very good but took a turn for even better in that junior year. Looking for the same from "O".

Reaction Score
Not at all trying to change the coarse of this thread (others have taken care of that ;) ) just a comment on Tina.
While I think it is nice to see a topic taking the elephant in the room off our minds, top 10 lists are very subject to regardless of statistics be simply opinion.
The word era comes to mind as the women's game has evolved a lot over the last three decades. Surrounding cast has a lot to do with performance along with what the coaching staff desires from each player.

With that I have a vision of Olivia in the same light as Tina. While the writer here states she did not break out until late in her junior year, due to a very talented surrounding cast, I remember something different.
I remember a head coach pushing and prodding Tina at every chance much as he has with "O". Tina's stats were very good but took a turn for even better in that junior year. Looking for the same from "O".
Why don't you just type out ONO? It's the same amount of characters as typing out "O" which is very weird to look at.

Reaction Score
I'm one of those Renee Montgomery fans and it saddens me not to see her any list that has "UConn" and ""Best players" in the same sentence.

Re: Renee Montgomery

I have to say that she was probably my favorite Uconn Husky ever. She had fire in her eyes and was an absolute general on that court.

If I had to list my top 5 favorite players they would be in this order.

1. Renee
2. Stewart
3. Diana
4. Gabby
5. Bria Hartley

Didn't say they were the best but just my favorites... All winners too.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
9 World Series rings & 3 MVP rings.
How many World Series did Ted win? Right - zero. 1 Pennant. Stuffing stats is great, but I'm sorry - it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring!!

"Stuffing stats."

:D

Or, you know, contributing to the offense. :rolleyes:

Anyway, rings don't determine a player's worth. That's not how that works.

Maria Conlon has 3 rings. Ann Strother has 2. Barbara Turner has 2. Jessica Moore has 2. Ashley Battle has 2. Jamelle Elliot has 1. Carla Berube has 1. Paige Sauer has 1. Kara Wolters has 1.

Kerry Bascom has 0 rings. Kerry Bascom is better than all of those players.

But.

If you're ready to say that DiMaggio is better than Williams because of rings, you have to be ready to say the same thing about D and Stewie. No ifs, ands, or buts about D's teammates in 2003 and 2004.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"Stuffing stats."

:D

Or, you know, contributing to the offense. :rolleyes:

Anyway, rings don't determine a player's worth. That's not how that works.

Maria Conlon has 3 rings. Ann Strother has 2. Barbara Turner has 2. Jessica Moore has 2. Ashley Battle has 2. Jamelle Elliot has 1. Carla Berube has 1. Paige Sauer has 1. Kara Wolters has 1.

Kerry Bascom has 0 rings. Kerry Bascom is better than all of those players.

But.

If you're ready to say that DiMaggio is better than Williams because of rings, you have to be ready to say the same thing about D and Stewie. No ifs, ands, or buts about D's teammates in 2003 and 2004.
On that at least we can agree. Robert Horry won 7 chips and Karl Malone played in only 3 championship series, never winning anything. I don't think anyone would say Horry was in any way, shape or form better than Malone.

Reaction Score
Well. I would've liked to see Joe play in a stadium with a short left field wall. Much of his power was drained by what was death valley of a leftfield at Yankee Stadium. I also would've liked to see all teams shift more to right against Williams in his lifetime. Yeah, Williams was better. But a lot better is more the debate.
Imagine if he didn’t serve in 2 wars. In his prime.

Reaction Score
IMHO, as stated in the article, the reason that DT is the G.O.A.T. is Stewie had a much better supporting team than DT did in 2003, & 2004! UCONN won 2 titles on DT carrying her teammates on her back and willing them to the 2 titles!
To this day Geno calls DT, "the greatest WINNER in WBB history!

The ND teams were much better than the teams DT had beaten in 03 and -04. So it's all relative.

Wally East

Reaction Score
I never said anybody was better than anybody else. But if Ted was so great how did he play 19 years in the majors and never win one championship??

Pitching, for starters. Then there's the other seven players in the regular lineup.

Reaction Score
I never said anybody was better than anybody else. But if Ted was so great how did he play 19 years in the majors and never win one championship??

Really? Have you ever watched baseball? Willie Mays played in two World Series. Mike Trout has never won a playoff game. This idea of "rings" being the only or primary determinant of greatness (in team sports) has gotten into the territory of absurdity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My all time favorite Uconn players in no order:

1. Stewie
2. DT
3. Ann Strother
4. Wendy Davis
5. Briana Pulido

I think all have rings except Wendy Davis.

Reaction Score
Stewie’s my pick. I’m also originally from
Syracuse. Parents had season tickets to Cuse men. Pearl was my favorite. Sad he’s gone. Maya and Dee ties for second, MoJeff for 4th and Anna fifth. Anna will probably move up next year!!

Reaction Score
It all counts. You can't decide what counts after the fact, once the championships are handed out. Lawler and Pulido have more championships than Bascom, who never won a championship. But Kerry did take a team that had never been there before and carried it to the Final Four. That counts.

Use baseball as a reference point for a moment. It's a long, long season. 162 games. Even the very best teams lose 60 games. And when it's late August , bottom of the 8th, and your team is 8 games out and down 4 runs, the player who shows up and grinds out a 12-pitch at bat before drawing a walk in a losing effort counts. Showing up for the daily grind, regardless of how good your teammates are, counts. In some ways, it's the thing that counts the most.

Reaction Score
With this discussion of the top ten players in UConn women’s basketball history, here are my two cents worth.

Some context. First, we are all likely victims of the disease of presentism, believing that players we have seen in the last few years are better than those of a generation ago that many never saw play. Few who saw Rizzotti play would leave her out of their top ten. Second, one does not measure greatness by the number of championship rings as some have already pointed out. Who was a better quarterback, Dan Marino or Eli Manning? Manning led his team to Super Bowl championships, Marino never did. Who was a better shortstop, Ernie Banks or Phil Rizzuto? Rizzuoto was on Yankee teams that won numerous World Series, Banks never appeared in one. Third, although statistics like assist to turnover ratios can be important, we cannot totally register the value of a player by raw numbers. Leadership skills and swagger count for a great deal.

With this being said, I would not rank Moriah Jefferson among the top ten players in UConn history. She had two terrific seasons, but lest we forget, the bulk of point guard responsibilities were taken by Bria Hartley when she was a freshman and sophomore.

My top ten is as follows:

Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, and Breanna Stewart rank as the top three.

The remaining seven arranged in alphabetical order are Kerry Bascom, Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzotti, Nykesha Sales, and Kara Wolters. My honorable mentions are Svetlana Abrosimova, Nepheesa Collier, Moriah Jefferson, and Renee Montgomery.

Wally East

Reaction Score
How clutch was D when she went 1 for 15 (0 for 11 from 3) in the National Semi-Final against ND?

Yes, she was a freshman surrounded by older players and she had to step into a new role.

But, same with Stewie as a freshman and she went 10 for 16 (4 for 5 from 3) and had 29 points in the same game (against the same school, coincidentally).

Who seems more clutch?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With this being said, I would not rank Moriah Jefferson among the top ten players in UConn history. She had two terrific seasons, but lest we forget, the bulk of point guard responsibilities were taken by Bria Hartley when she was a freshman and sophomore.
Just a little correction here - Moriah Jefferson as a sophomore had 195 assist (good for seventh best single season at Uconn) and 66 TO for a 2.95 A/TO ratio, shot .575/.418 from three with 106 steals (good for 5th best) in 29.7 min/game scoring 10.0 ppg.

Hartley in her senior year had 173 assist and 83 TO for a 2.08 A/TO ratio and shot .470/.366 with 67 steals in 31.9 min and scored 16.2 ppg.

By her second year Moriah was already playing PG and Hartley had shifted to shooting guard - they were both starters. Moriah was a finalist for the Lieberman Award as a sophomore before winning it her final two years.

Bottom line she had three fantastic years at Uconn after an ordinary freshman year playing behind Faris Hartley Doty and Banks.

Reaction Score
Why don't you just type out ONO? It's the same amount of characters as typing out "O" which is very weird to look at.
"O" NO...... I apologize for my post offending "U" and possibly others with my improper use of quotations.
That and forcing someone to repost it. In these times of peril, distress and uncertainty where human interaction is needed, I don't want to weird anybody out.
From now on Olivia it will be! ;)

Reaction Score
I just watched the only Kerry Bascom game I could find: the Final Four game in 1991 against Virginia. Bascom had a mediocre game because of early foul trouble, but Uconn played well and kept it close. The Virginia team included Dawn Staley (POY), Tammi Reiss, Tonya Cardoza, and the 6'5" Burges twins, Heidi and Heather. The game had some memorable moments despite the loss.

Meghan Pattyson "takes it on the chin." in the first half. An elbow to the face puts her of the floor. She's OK after she gets a mouthguard.

A quote from Geno about his team's passing: "We'll throw it to whoever is open, whether it's our team or not."

Best of all: With 20" left in the game, Tonya Cardoza makes two free throws to give Virginia a 4 point lead. Then, as Uconn takes the ball down the court, Tonya goes flying out of bounds and Geno catches her. He hugs her as she laughs and then he tries to guide her to a seat next to him on the bench.

Reaction Score
My all time favorite Uconn players in no order are:

1. Stewie
2. DT
3. Maya
4. Swin
5. Shea
6. Rizzotti
7. Ann Strother
8. Katie Lou
9. Naphessa
10. Chong