UConn's all-time Top 10 players | The Boneyard

UConn's all-time Top 10 players

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By Carl Adamec cadamec@journalinquirer.com Mar 27, 2020 Updated Mar 28, 2020

There have been 22 UConn women’s basketball players named to the WBCA All-America team, thus earning them spots in the Huskies of Honor on the wall at Gampel Pavilion. Sixteen of the 22 were selected multiple times, with one a four-time pick and four others selected three times.

Reaction Score
Honestly It's tough to argue with the list. Maybe DT and Stewie should be swapped, who knows. They are at worst 1a and or 1b. It's a debate that will never be answered and one that really doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
Diana had more help than people give those teams credit for. Ann Strother is the most underrated UConn player of all time. Were the players on those rosters superstars? No. However, they were highly skilled and exceedingly talented.

Reaction Score
IMHO, as stated in the article, the reason that DT is the G.O.A.T. is Stewie had a much better supporting team than DT did in 2003, & 2004! UCONN won 2 titles on DT carrying her teammates on her back and willing them to the 2 titles!
To this day Geno calls DT, "the greatest WINNER in WBB history!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Williams was a LOT better. It's not even close.
Well. I would've liked to see Joe play in a stadium with a short left field wall. Much of his power was drained by what was death valley of a leftfield at Yankee Stadium. I also would've liked to see all teams shift more to right against Williams in his lifetime. Yeah, Williams was better. But a lot better is more the debate.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, picking UConn’s GOAT, a program whose Mount Rushmore is better depicted by the Terracotta Sculptures of China, is significantly perilous. For how can anyone truly say Maya Moore, the program ‘s all-time leading scorer, second highest rebounder-- has top five stats in the top five stats is second to anyone?

So let me differentiate in this way: Just as Magic Johnson said about his contemporary and greatest rival: “Nobody could do all the things that Larry Bird could do”, the same could be said of Stewie—she was the most composite player—male or female, mind you--that the collegiate sport has ever known. No one could do all the things Stewie could do: great post player, great mid-range shot ,even good behind the arc. Incredibly gifted great footwork, soft hands; with those immensely long arms of hers, she was a great defender, shot-blocker and rebounder.

I’m also going to respectfully disagree with Carl Adamec and the rest who say that the ’02 team lead by DT was UConn’s best edition of basketball. IMO, the 13-14 team, 40 and 0, was dominant as any team ever, three All-Americans, 6 players eventually going to the pro rank; and with that incomparable line up, they were never really challenged all year; They were the best--it’s not even close. Alongside Stewie was dependable, reliable Stephanie Dolson, a superb post player; and at guard, another All-American, Bria Hartley; then we have the lizard quick Mo Jeff; and don't forget the program’s all-time trey shooter, KML, and as well the great defender and rebounder, Kiah Stokes coming off the bench to provide an almost impenetrable front court. I mean they had it all, in every imaginable way. Gutty and gritty, sleek and splendid at the same time.

Another way the 14 team outshines the 02 team is by their respective competition. By the 2013-14 season, women’s teams were much better—not necessarily better players, but more better players, deeper rosters on each team. More depth. By this time, UConn, Tenn. et al, had grown college basketball to more competitive levels. Case in point, ND’s 18-19 squad quite possibly its best and most talented team ever (all five starters went in the first round of the WNBA) does not win the national championship that year. The notion that UConn was bad for the sport was the most ridiculous thing ever uttered by anyone paid to write copy for public consumption. As been said, this is akin to saying that peerless Secretariat was bad for horse racing…. OF course the opposite was true—UConn brought more attention to the sport and set the bar higher for all schools to reach. When the school’s impossible win streak was finally broken, hey it’s not just lead story for ESPN, it’s a top story for CNN as well…

And as far as head to head, apologies in advance for I am going to be rather bodacious in my prediction: the Stewie-led Huskies shows the 02 greats truly who the lead dogs are, and easily win a head-to-head match up by double digits. No one’s stopping Stewie and her supporting cast When you have a program’s best all-around player on its best team, what would you expect?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well. I would've liked to see Joe play in a stadium with a short left field wall. Much of his power was drained by what was death valley of a leftfield at Yankee Stadium. I also would've liked to see all teams shift more to right against Williams in his lifetime. Yeah, Williams was better. But a lot better is more the debate.

Let's look at their career splits (home/away).

DiMaggio
HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS
Home 148 684 .315 .391 .547 .936
Away 209 854 .334 .406 .611 1.017

Williams
HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS
Home 248 965 .361 .496 .652 1.146
Away 273 873 .328 .467 .611 1.078

Both great, great players. But Williams ability to not make outs (all time leader in on base percentage) sets him apart. Not much of a fielder or base runner (DiMaggio far exceeded him in those categories), but the best hitter who ever lived.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry, but any list of top ten without the leader in assists and A/TO ratio, #1 (tied) in NCs, #2 in steals, #1 guard in career FG percentage (.550), #5 in 3 pt percentage, NDPOY at 5'6", etc. doesn't compute.

Agree that DT had a better team around her than most people give them credit for being in 2003 and 2004, and she and that wonderful 2002 graduating class seriously under-performed the 2003 freshman in 2001. :eek::)

Reaction Score
Diana had more help than people give those teams credit for. Ann Strother is the most underrated UConn player of all time. Were the players on those rosters superstars? No. However, they were highly skilled and exceedingly talented.

I was not a Uconn fan back then but rewatching some of those 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 championship game against Tenn, one thing I notice is all the players on the floor at any given time are pretty aggressive with scoring the ball when they can and they don't defer to the more senior like recent teams. I don't know if it is a change in philosophy or what but I like the way they were playing better because all players can contribute.

Reaction Score
I think Rizzotti doesn't get the ink that Lobo gets in terms of putting the program on the national map but I think she was as much a part of getting things kick-started as anyone. However, and it's all subjective (we won't get into the Mays vs. Mantle comparison either), I don't think Rizzotti is top 10 material, not when you look at her stats (compared to Mo or Renee) and don't rely solely on the SI cover or that one play, as much as I had to peel myself off the ceiling afterwards. KML's defense was not her strong-suit (whose was?) but boy she as much as anyone put a dagger in the opposition time after time and for my money deserves mention.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
IMHO, as stated in the article, the reason that DT is the G.O.A.T. is Stewie had a much better supporting team than DT did in 2003, & 2004! UCONN won 2 titles on DT carrying her teammates on her back and willing them to the 2 titles!
To this day Geno calls DT, "the greatest WINNER in WBB history!

D is better than Stewie because Moriah is better than Ann Strother.

Sure. That makes sense :D (I mean, Moriah WAS better than Ann Strother but that's here nor there.)

You can use that to say that Stewie had an easier time winning four titles than D had winning three but it doesn't make D a better player than Stewie. The two aren't the same thing.

D and Stewie and Maya can all be considered, more or less, about equal offensively.

Stewie, and Maya to a lesser extent, was just much, much better than D defensively that it renders any difference on offense meaningless. You can chalk it up to Stewie being 6'4 and having long arms that D didn't have or whatever you want. Stewie was just a much better player defensively and that's half of the game. (Maya was better than D defensively, too, but not as good as Stewie, so: Stewie, Maya, D.)

Reaction Score
Jordy, as with WallyEast, thank you for making my point.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Wally, Thank you for proving my point.

I'm not sure what point you want to make but Williams vs. DiMaggio isn't actually a debate. One is much better than the other. Just look it up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Let's look at their career splits (home/away).

DiMaggio
HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS
Home 148 684 .315 .391 .547 .936
Away 209 854 .334 .406 .611 1.017

Williams
HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS
Home 248 965 .361 .496 .652 1.146
Away 273 873 .328 .467 .611 1.078

Both great, great players. But Williams ability to not make outs (all time leader in on base percentage) sets him apart. Not much of a fielder or base runner (DiMaggio far exceeded him in those categories), but the best hitter who ever lived.
@Wally East said Williams was "a lot better". He never qualified that to mean only as a hitter. Yes, Williams was a far better hitter. But as a fielder, Joe was a lot better. Lots. Once again, I'd like to have seen how Williams would have fared with a shift by all of the MLB teams and how that would have affected his average. Nevertheless, all things considered, IMO Williams was better, but not a lot.

Reaction Score
@Wally East said Williams was "a lot better". He never qualified that to mean only as a hitter. Yes, Williams was a far better hitter. But as a fielder, Joe was a lot better. Lots. Once again, I'd like to have seen how Williams would have fared with a shift by all of the MLB teams and how that would have affected his average. Nevertheless, all things considered, IMO Williams was better, but not a lot.
9 World Series rings & 3 MVP rings.

1585602962249.png

How many World Series did Ted win? Right - zero. 1 Pennant. Stuffing stats is great, but I'm sorry - it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom