UConn's Achilles Heel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Achilles Heel

Reaction Score
Z also got blocked on a couple of those drives as well as missing a couple shots at the basket, hence my desire for Z to develop something remotely looking like a jump hook, or some kind of shot that can be released high with either hand.
Exactly. I’m very surprised that no coach has taught a kid with that size and coordination a drop step, jump hook, and turn around jumper. A week or two with a real post coach and she’d be unstoppable.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I've never seen a defense shut down the Huskies' offense as the Longhorns did. When (and if) that happens, someone has to find a way: last night that someone was Z.

Shooting 49% from the floor and getting to the line many more times than the opponent equates to having your offense shut down? If so, Texas could say that their offense was shut down, because they only shot 43% despite all of those close-in opportunities.

I think you are confusing a rebounding disadvantage (those 14 Texas offensive rebounds were the big problem, just as OR's were the problem against Mississippi State last year) with offensive problems. Both last night and in the Final Four, UConn was able to run its offense effectively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn won four straight championships with some combination of Steph, Kiah, Tuck & Stewie up front. Geno’s teams have almost always had big, talented and tough front court/post players including: Rebecca, Kara, Asia, Tamika, Swin and Tina. But during last season’s remarkable run up to the National semifinal, Geno would talk about hiding his team’s weaknesses. Well if he was hiding them, he was hiding them in plain sight.

UConn started 5’11” Gabby Williams and 6’1” Napheesa Collier up front, often battling much bigger opposing players. In the two most memorable regular season games, in the friendly confines of Gampel Pavilion, through a combination of creative defensive schemes and incredible effort, UConn took down Baylor, a team with no less than 4 post players over 6’4” and SC’s twin towers of Wilson and Coates. Gabby and Pheesa were absolutely remarkable last season, with both being named 1st team AA, but the Huskies came up short of their ultimate goal when they faced a MS St. team with a physical, 6’7” post. Other than some occasionally effective minutes from 6’5” Natalie Butler, UConn played the entire 2016-17 season without a true post player.

This season, the situation has changed somewhat, but you can still make the argument that UConn is playing without a true post player. Yes, I know Z is 6’6”. But Z was effectively a wing at Duke. She’s still learning how to play in the paint at both ends of the court. At the start of the season, many of us had high hopes that Batouly would be a physical presence in the paint, but whether it’s due to injury or ability, that has yet to happen. Kyla is a smart, hard working player, but she is limited against more athletic front court players.

What’s the solution? In the short term, Z’s crash course on post play must continue at a fever pace. She needs to learn how to body up players in the paint, keep her hands straight up when blocking shots and on the offensive end, if she could develop anything remotely looking like a jump hook, she would be unstoppable. Geno needs to get Batouly and/or Kyla to the point where they can play “Natalie Butler” minutes, 8 to 10 mpg. Geno also needs to get the #1 recruit in the country to the point where he has confidence to use her in any situation. MW is not a post, but she is a strong, physical wing who can rebound.

In the long term, with Z hopefully returning, there is some help on the horizon. ONO is an athletic 6’4” post player. While it’s probably a remote possibility, maybe the Aussie will decide to journey to Storrs. The real key is the 2019 recruiting class. Brunelle, Amihere and Boston could comprise the best trio of front court players in one UConn recruiting class since Jones, Williams & Cash. Geno needs to close the deal on all of them.

UConn is still the favorite to win their 12th championship this season. They have two more test matches in season against teams with talent and size: SC & Louisville. Once they get to the Big Dance, there is always the prospect of running into MS St, Baylor or TX again. Until that time, Geno and the Huskies will need to do everything possible to protect their Achilles Heel by developing viable options in the paint.
Many yarders, including myself, have been lamenting the lack of size for years. The bigs just haven't been answering our calls.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many yarders, including myself, have been lamenting the lack of size for years. The bigs just haven't been answering our calls.
Yes, had Wilson & Cox answered the call, UConn really would be bad for WBB :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Exactly. I’m very surprised that no coach has taught a kid with that size and coordination a drop step, jump hook, and turn around jumper. A week or two with a real post coach and she’d be unstoppable.
CD is a real post coach, and I’m sure she’s working every day with Z

Reaction Score
There are two things desperately needed for WCBB: More parity...and, as an inevitable consequence of more parity, more packed arenas. This is why last night's game was so good for the sport. No one wants this felicitous development more than I. Having said that, I must express disagreement with those who now, in the aftermath of a tight contest, proclaim the national championship as "up for grabs" and lacking a clear favorite. As some here have accurately pointed out, every contender has its flaws, but UConn, the team that did, in fact, gut out a tough road win while not bringing its A-game, has fewer than its potential competitors. It is loaded with talent and championship experience, and is, by far, the best-coached. The latter factor is hugely important. Each year, fans of our favorite program seem to suffer in January from a form of amnesia that induces forgetfulness about how much annual improvement routinely takes place between January and March. This team is going to have many fewer flaws come March, and will, yet again, exhibit many fewer than other contenders. Prohibitive favorites? Maybe not, but clear favorites? Without question!

Reaction Score
Z also got blocked on a couple of those drives as well as missing a couple shots at the basket, hence my desire for Z to develop something remotely looking like a jump hook, or some kind of shot that can be released high with either hand.

Also Z is a good passer but since she can drive and cause a collapse/ double team that is when she can kick to Kia, Lou or CD for 3. I would have liked to see that a bit more. I think that at times our players drive but then do not look to kick as much as they should. Gabby to me is the best at it on our team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While there are a number of teams that can certainly challenge UConn this season, It's going to take a particularly talented team, with all the right pieces to beat the Huskies. Last night, TX started 2 decent 6'4" post players, surrounded by an experienced and talented squadron of guards who shoot the ball well. On a neutral court, the Huskies have a greater advantage IMO.

ND would have been on the list, but the Irish don't have the depth or a true pg to run the offense. SC has the most dominant post in the country, but UConn should be able to collapse on Wilson without necessarily being burned from the outside by anyone other than Spann for the Gamecocks. Baylor's depth and guard play is also a question mark. Louisville appears to have the talent to challenge the Huskies, but I'm still not sold that the Cardinals have the coaching to challenge the Huskies. Ditto for TN, and add in the extremely young lineup after Russell & Nared.

That leads me to the #1 challenger for the Huskies, the same team that took them down last year. McGowan is playing like an AA in the post, and the experience and talent of Vivians and William from outside will limit UConn's ability to help in the post. Add in that Vic Schaefer is one hell of a coach and the Bulldogs are the team that worries me the most.

Agreed. I'm not worried, but "concerned" about UConn's ability to defend the paint against MS. News flash - McCowan got the memo. She now realizes and believes that she is unstoppable. She had a 30/20 game recently. She's playing with lots of confidence. Last year, she was still a bit raw, not anymore. If she gets the ball in the paint, forget it. She's almost impossible to stop one-on-one. I fear our girls would foul out before they stopped her. :confused: There is no way UConn will get to the championship game without crossing paths with at least 2 of the top 5 teams. All of them have BIGS.

Reaction Score
UConn won four straight championships with some combination of Steph, Kiah, Tuck & Stewie up front. Geno’s teams have almost always had big, talented and tough front court/post players including: Rebecca, Kara, Asia, Tamika, Swin and Tina. But during last season’s remarkable run up to the National semifinal, Geno would talk about hiding his team’s weaknesses. Well if he was hiding them, he was hiding them in plain sight.

UConn started 5’11” Gabby Williams and 6’1” Napheesa Collier up front, often battling much bigger opposing players. In the two most memorable regular season games, in the friendly confines of Gampel Pavilion, through a combination of creative defensive schemes and incredible effort, UConn took down Baylor, a team with no less than 4 post players over 6’4” and SC’s twin towers of Wilson and Coates. Gabby and Pheesa were absolutely remarkable last season, with both being named 1st team AA, but the Huskies came up short of their ultimate goal when they faced a MS St. team with a physical, 6’7” post. Other than some occasionally effective minutes from 6’5” Natalie Butler, UConn played the entire 2016-17 season without a true post player.

This season, the situation has changed somewhat, but you can still make the argument that UConn is playing without a true post player. Yes, I know Z is 6’6”. But Z was effectively a wing at Duke. She’s still learning how to play in the paint at both ends of the court. At the start of the season, many of us had high hopes that Batouly would be a physical presence in the paint, but whether it’s due to injury or ability, that has yet to happen. Kyla is a smart, hard working player, but she is limited against more athletic front court players.

What’s the solution? In the short term, Z’s crash course on post play must continue at a fever pace. She needs to learn how to body up players in the paint, keep her hands straight up when blocking shots and on the offensive end, if she could develop anything remotely looking like a jump hook, she would be unstoppable. Geno needs to get Batouly and/or Kyla to the point where they can play “Natalie Butler” minutes, 8 to 10 mpg. Geno also needs to get the #1 recruit in the country to the point where he has confidence to use her in any situation. MW is not a post, but she is a strong, physical wing who can rebound.

In the long term, with Z hopefully returning, there is some help on the horizon. ONO is an athletic 6’4” post player. While it’s probably a remote possibility, maybe the Aussie will decide to journey to Storrs. The real key is the 2019 recruiting class. Brunelle, Amihere and Boston could comprise the best trio of front court players in one UConn recruiting class since Jones, Williams & Cash. Geno needs to close the deal on all of them.

UConn is still the favorite to win their 12th championship this season. They have two more test matches in season against teams with talent and size: SC & Louisville. Once they get to the Big Dance, there is always the prospect of running into MS St, Baylor or TX again. Until that time, Geno and the Huskies will need to do everything possible to protect their Achilles Heel by developing viable options in the paint.

I agree with the entire post--but see Azura Stevens is a non post --post. At her 120 pound (I know wrong) frame--she's not able to "body up" Danger (exaggeration)--(to make a point) . Unless she puts on 40 points, which limits her mobility, we have to live with her body size. She can block McGowan, if she jumps, she can defeat bigs like Caron something at TX. Her size, height and girth, are her assets. She's quick-needs more quickness--and she is smart. How that will playout--and what tricks Geno has in his bag of trick for Baylor, Louisville, SC, Mss St--along with Z's development--will provide us with great theater these coming weeks.
Developing options--as limited as that may be--is preaching to the choir.
If the '19 recruits fit as well as Jones, Williams, Swin---hog heaven will only be he beginning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. I'm not worried, but "concerned" about UConn's ability to defend the paint against MS. News flash - McCowan got the memo. She now realizes and believes that she is unstoppable. She had a 30/20 game recently. She's playing with lots of confidence. Last year, she was still a bit raw, not anymore. If she gets the ball in the paint, forget it. She's almost impossible to stop one-on-one. I fear our girls would foul out before they stopped her. :confused: There is no way UConn will get to the championship game without crossing paths with at least 2 of the top 5 teams. All of them have BIGS.
If the Ms Game plan is to put the ball to McGowan until she is stopped--Azura has the ability to stop McGowan from getting the ball--no ball, no score. That only takes one option from Ms St--

Reaction Score
CD is a real post coach, and I’m sure she’s working every day with Z
You see that in every game---Z next to CD learning--I love that part of the game. The second best part is the intensity with which Z listens---Master to pupil!! Got to love that.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yup. Which is why C. Collier's default was so hurtful, but ONO's acceptance is so welcome. Now we just need Ezi from OZ.

Reaction Score
While there are a number of teams that can certainly challenge UConn this season, It's going to take a particularly talented team, with all the right pieces to beat the Huskies. Last night, TX started 2 decent 6'4" post players, surrounded by an experienced and talented squadron of guards who shoot the ball well. On a neutral court, the Huskies have a greater advantage IMO.

ND would have been on the list, but the Irish don't have the depth or a true pg to run the offense. SC has the most dominant post in the country, but UConn should be able to collapse on Wilson without necessarily being burned from the outside by anyone other than Spann for the Gamecocks. Baylor's depth and guard play is also a question mark. Louisville appears to have the talent to challenge the Huskies, but I'm still not sold that the Cardinals have the coaching to challenge the Huskies. Ditto for TN, and add in the extremely young lineup after Russell & Nared.

That leads me to the #1 challenger for the Huskies, the same team that took them down last year. McGowan is playing like an AA in the post, and the experience and talent of Vivians and William from outside will limit UConn's ability to help in the post. Add in that Vic Schaefer is one hell of a coach and the Bulldogs are the team that worries me the most.

Plus MSST has something very few have, confidence in knowing they beat UConn. What I would think is also interesting is if the UConn players would be super amped if we played them. Would they approach in the manner that MSST used their crushing defeats against us in prior years to play with the chip on their shoulders? Also for folks saying we would be in trouble if opponent started 2 or 3 bigs, there are always positive/negative effects and they would get killed in transition and trying to guard our players out of the paint.

We are the favorite, some get confused on what that means. It just means our percentage to win is higher than anyone else. It could be 30% chance (vs 90%) but if its the highest then we are the favorites. Trying to be unbias, I would put us as the favorite because we have the best overall talent, most experience, best coach and quite frankly even when we do not play our best it is (and has been) better than most teams best (thus the 100+ win streak.) I have said this before, our last lost was to a unique team, when we were off, and it still took overtime on a last second shot. Quite frankly they should have never had the ball at the end of the game if we played the last 15 seconds right. But the point is look at everything that has to happen for opponents to even be in a position to win.

Reaction Score
Shooting 49% from the floor and getting to the line many more times than the opponent equates to having your offense shut down? If so, Texas could say that their offense was shut down, because they only shot 43% despite all of those close-in opportunities.

I think you are confusing a rebounding disadvantages (those 14 Texas offensive rebounds were the big problem, just as OR's were the problem against Mississippi State last year) with offensive problems. Both last night, and in the Final Four, UConn was able to run its offense effectively.

I always enjoy reading your posts, Joe, because they are invariably intelligent. What I meant by shutting down the UConn offense was denying the Huskies the ability to play as they usually do. I was struck by how tightly Texas covered all 5 UConn players, making it difficult for the passers to find open targets. Making 49% of shots taken doesn't reflect the quantity of shots or the ease with which those shots scored. For example, Z was regularly taking the ball to the hoop because she couldn't find an open Husky. Had she not created the shot herself, I don't believe UConn would have prevailed. Also, the Longhorns controlled the boards, getting numerous 2nd and 3rd opportunities. The Huskies couldn't run much because they didn't get the ball as often as they usually do via steals or rebounds.

Reaction Score
My mom hated close UConn games, which she defined as any game with a MOV less than 20 pts. I tend to agree with mom on that.

OD: I KNEW I liked you; and now I find it is because of your mom. My kinda gal for sure. Let's hear it for OLD DUDE"S mom and her wisdom. Life presents enuf tension already; UCONN is for the relaxing enjoyment of the quest for perfection.

Reaction Score

Excellent post old dude!
Well stated analysis and some solutions!
Bronx23

Reaction Score

Sounds right on target to me! Well written! Thanks!
Bronx23

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't think anyone considers this team the favorite to win it all.
Really? I think pretty much everybody (except yourself, maybe a few on the Summitt) consider UCONN the favorite. Personally I would be surprised if they didn't win a NC, going undefeated. Sure they could lose a game, or not win it all, but it would surprise me if that happened. Last year I expected them to lose 2-3 and hopefully make it to the FF. I was surprised they did as well as they did.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Z helps with scoring down low but she is not a great rebounder

lB5wmMp.png

She is the leading rebounder on the team. In limited minutes. If she was getting starters minutes, she would be averaging double digits. There is only a handful of UCONN players who have averaged 10+ rpg in a year. Charles never did. Moore never did, Stewart never did. Wolters never did. And they were all NPOY.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom