UConn's Achilles Heel | The Boneyard

UConn's Achilles Heel

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn won four straight championships with some combination of Steph, Kiah, Tuck & Stewie up front. Geno’s teams have almost always had big, talented and tough front court/post players including: Rebecca, Kara, Asia, Tamika, Swin and Tina. But during last season’s remarkable run up to the National semifinal, Geno would talk about hiding his team’s weaknesses. Well if he was hiding them, he was hiding them in plain sight.

UConn started 5’11” Gabby Williams and 6’1” Napheesa Collier up front, often battling much bigger opposing players. In the two most memorable regular season games, in the friendly confines of Gampel Pavilion, through a combination of creative defensive schemes and incredible effort, UConn took down Baylor, a team with no less than 4 post players over 6’4” and SC’s twin towers of Wilson and Coates. Gabby and Pheesa were absolutely remarkable last season, with both being named 1st team AA, but the Huskies came up short of their ultimate goal when they faced a MS St. team with a physical, 6’7” post. Other than some occasionally effective minutes from 6’5” Natalie Butler, UConn played the entire 2016-17 season without a true post player.

This season, the situation has changed somewhat, but you can still make the argument that UConn is playing without a true post player. Yes, I know Z is 6’6”. But Z was effectively a wing at Duke. She’s still learning how to play in the paint at both ends of the court. At the start of the season, many of us had high hopes that Batouly would be a physical presence in the paint, but whether it’s due to injury or ability, that has yet to happen. Kyla is a smart, hard working player, but she is limited against more athletic front court players.

What’s the solution? In the short term, Z’s crash course on post play must continue at a fever pace. She needs to learn how to body up players in the paint, keep her hands straight up when blocking shots and on the offensive end, if she could develop anything remotely looking like a jump hook, she would be unstoppable. Geno needs to get Batouly and/or Kyla to the point where they can play “Natalie Butler” minutes, 8 to 10 mpg. Geno also needs to get the #1 recruit in the country to the point where he has confidence to use her in any situation. MW is not a post, but she is a strong, physical wing who can rebound.

In the long term, with Z hopefully returning, there is some help on the horizon. ONO is an athletic 6’4” post player. While it’s probably a remote possibility, maybe the Aussie will decide to journey to Storrs. The real key is the 2019 recruiting class. Brunelle, Amihere and Boston could comprise the best trio of front court players in one UConn recruiting class since Jones, Williams & Cash. Geno needs to close the deal on all of them.

UConn is still the favorite to win their 12th championship this season. They have two more test matches in season against teams with talent and size: SC & Louisville. Once they get to the Big Dance, there is always the prospect of running into MS St, Baylor or TX again. Until that time, Geno and the Huskies will need to do everything possible to protect their Achilles Heel by developing viable options in the paint.

Reaction Score
UConn won four straight championships with some combination of Steph, Kiah, Tuck & Stewie up front. Geno’s teams have almost always had big, talented and tough front court/post players including: Rebecca, Kara, Asia, Tamika, Swin and Tina. But during last season’s remarkable run up to the National semifinal, Geno would talk about hiding his team’s weaknesses. Well if he was hiding them, he was hiding them in plain sight.

UConn started 5’11” Gabby Williams and 6’1” Napheesa Collier up front, often battling much bigger opposing players. In the two most memorable regular season games, in the friendly confines of Gampel Pavilion, through a combination of creative defensive schemes and incredible effort, UConn took down Baylor, a team with no less than 4 post players over 6’4” and SC’s twin towers of Wilson and Coates. Gabby and Pheesa were absolutely remarkable last season, with both being named 1st team AA, but the Huskies came up short of their ultimate goal when they faced a MS St. team with a physical, 6’7” post. Other than some occasionally effective minutes from 6’5” Natalie Butler, UConn played the entire 2016-17 season without a true post player.

This season, the situation has changed somewhat, but you can still make the argument that UConn is playing without a true post player. Yes, I know Z is 6’6”. But Z was effectively a wing at Duke. She’s still learning how to play in the paint at both ends of the court. At the start of the season, many of us had high hopes that Batouly would be a physical presence in the paint, but whether it’s due to injury or ability, that has yet to happen. Kyla is a smart, hard working player, but she is limited against more athletic front court players.

What’s the solution? In the short term, Z’s crash course on post play must continue at a fever pace. She needs to learn how to body up players in the paint, keep her hands straight up when blocking shots and on the offensive end, if she could develop anything remotely looking like a jump hook, she would be unstoppable. Geno needs to get Batouly and/or Kyla to the point where they can play “Natalie Butler” minutes, 8 to 10 mpg. Geno also needs to get the #1 recruit in the country to the point where he has confidence to use her in any situation. MW is not a post, but she is a strong, physical wing who can rebound.

In the long term, with Z hopefully returning, there is some help on the horizon. ONO is an athletic 6’4” post player. While it’s probably a remote possibility, maybe the Aussie will decide to journey to Storrs. The real key is the 2019 recruiting class. Brunelle, Amihere and Boston could comprise the best trio of front court players in one UConn recruiting class since Jones, Williams & Cash. Geno needs to close the deal on all of them.

UConn is still the favorite to win their 12th championship this season. They have two more test matches in season against teams with talent and size: SC & Louisville. Once they get to the Big Dance, there is always the prospect of running into MS St, Baylor or TX again. Until that time, Geno and the Huskies will need to do everything possible to protect their Achilles Heel by developing viable options in the paint.
Thanks OlDude - I couldn't have said it better. I tried making the same point in another post but with less words :)

Reaction Score
Don't think anyone considers this team the favorite to win it all. I think it's wide open this year. I think Texas, Miss St, and Louisville all have as good of a chance as UConn. Maybe we're starting to see the parity in WCBB for which people have been waiting decades.

Reaction Score

I agree and once Z learns how to time her jump to block shots it will be like having Stewie back there. I would show her film upon film how Stewie was able to anticipate
before leaving her feet. Once that is done, look out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't think anyone considers this team the favorite to win it all. I think it's wide open this year. I think Texas, Miss St, and Louisville all have as good of a chance as UConn. Maybe we're starting to see the parity in WCBB for which people have been waiting decades.
UConn may not be the "prohibitive" favorite they have been in past years, but if you had to bet the ranch on one team to win it all, is there a team other than UConn that you would pick?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
By Media and many of the experts UConn is the favorite to win the National Championship. I don't think they are, even though they may have the most individually talented team. IMO lack of physical size and rebounding may end up being the achilles heel that they can't overcome. If Camara is able to get on the court and provide significant help with rebounding and physical presence that could go along way in solving UConn's achilles heel. Z helps with scoring down low but she is not a great rebounder and can't seem to stay out of foul trouble. She doesn't have physical size to push out players who are of similar size in height but stronger then her. Napheesa and Gabby have trouble scoring down low which is the strength of their game when matched up against Quality Tall Physical Players.

I have Baylor and Miss St as the teams that could derail UConn's championship run. Texas learned a lot last night and will be better prepared and have the confidence that ehy can beat UConn. Neutral court would favor UConn in any rematch.

Can UConn beat the Quality Teams that have more physical size then UConn. Sure they did last night by making timely shots and getting some stops late in the game. As Geno said need more help is needed from the Bench to give the starters more rest during the game and avoid foul problems that could have cost the team last night. If Z picks up her 5th foul last night, I'm not sure UConn wins the game. Of all the reserves, I think Camara is the most important even though she is not the most talented of the reserves. She could provide much needed help with rebounding and physical presence.

Probably shouldn't believe this, but I have less concern about Louisville . I think UConn has an easier time with Louisville then Miss St and Baylor. UConn matches up better with the Louisville players. Also feel that way about So Carolina.

This is a wide open year for the National Championship and UConn is one of three or four teams that could win it. There should not be a clear cut favorite.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By Media and many of the experts UConn is the favorite to win the National Championship. I don't think they are, even though they may have the most individually talented team. IMO lack of physical size and rebounding may end up being the achilles heel that they can't overcome. If Camara is able to get on the court and provide significant help with rebounding and physical presence that could go along way in solving UConn's achilles heel. Z helps with scoring down low but she is not a great rebounder and can't seem to stay out of foul trouble. She doesn't have physical size to push out players who are of similar size in height but stronger then her. Napheesa and Gabby have trouble scoring down low which is the strength of their game when matched up against Quality Tall Physical Players.

I have Baylor and Miss St as the teams that could derail UConn's championship run. Texas learned a lot last night and will be better prepared and have the confidence that ehy can beat UConn. Neutral court would favor UConn in any rematch.

Can UConn beat the Quality Teams that have more physical size then UConn. Sure they did last night by making timely shots and getting some stops late in the game. As Geno said need more help is needed from the Bench to give the starters more rest during the game and avoid foul problems that could have cost the team last night. If Z picks up her 5th foul last night, I'm not sure UConn wins the game. Of all the reserves, I think Camara is the most important even though she is not the most talented of the reserves. She could provide much needed help with rebounding and physical presence.

Probably shouldn't believe this, but I have less concern about Louisville . I think UConn has an easier time with Louisville then Miss St and Baylor. UConn matches up better with the Louisville players. Also feel that way about So Carolina.

This is a wide open year for the National Championship and UConn is one of three or four teams that could win it. There should not be a clear cut favorite.
Good analysis. While UConn is clearly vulnerable this year, it's hard to imagine anyone beating them in the first 4 rounds of the tournament in Storrs and Albany before they get to Columbus. In Columbus, that's a different story. Perhaps it'll be like 2 years ago, when UConn showed up in Indianapolis as expected, but were met by a bunch of upstarts who pulled off major upsets to get there, and were no match for the Huskies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I do.

I think UConn is and will be the favorite to win the championship. It's definitely not a sure thing (being a favorite doesn't mean that) but UConn certainly will have better odds than either Texas or Louisville.

I think Mississippi State presents the biggest challenge. Baylor's size will be a problem but I'm not sure about Baylor's guard play.

Reaction Score
UConn may not be the "prohibitive" favorite they have been in past years, but if you had to bet the ranch on one team to win it all, is there a team other than UConn that you would pick?

I think most experts still feel UConn is the team to beat as do I..............after UConn's close games against ND and Texas and the fine play of Louisville, Miss St, Baylor and yes even Tenn, I wish the media would finally admit that there is a certain degree of parity at least among the top tier teams............

Reaction Score
I think we're still the clear favorites to win it all this season. Too much skill and experience, and too well coached compared to the two or three other top contenders out there. And we'll be battle tested going into the tournament. But another loss certainly wouldn't be a shock of the magnitude that it was a year ago.

One of the problems is that we're too much of a finesse team, of really nice kids as Geno puts it. In particular, if Gabby and Pheesa both have middling games on the same night, then we're beatable.

The other issue right now, to be frank, is Z's defense. If we're going to win two games in Columbus, we're going to have to successfully shut down someone like a Teaira McCowan in the paint. I really hope the coaching staff are already working on that. When the opposing team's star player is a guard, we've got it covered. When she's a big, that's an open question.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do.

I think UConn is and will be the favorite to win the championship. It's definitely not a sure thing (being a favorite doesn't mean that) but UConn certainly will have better odds than either Texas or Louisville.

I think Mississippi State presents the biggest challenge. Baylor's size will be a problem but I'm not sure about Baylor's guard play.
I think most experts still feel UConn is the team to beat as do I....after UConn's close games against ND and Texas and the fine play of Louisville, Miss St, Baylor and yes even Tenn, I wish the media would finally admit that there is a certain degree of parity at least among the top tier teams..
While there are a number of teams that can certainly challenge UConn this season, It's going to take a particularly talented team, with all the right pieces to beat the Huskies. Last night, TX started 2 decent 6'4" post players, surrounded by an experienced and talented squadron of guards who shoot the ball well. On a neutral court, the Huskies have a greater advantage IMO.

ND would have been on the list, but the Irish don't have the depth or a true pg to run the offense. SC has the most dominant post in the country, but UConn should be able to collapse on Wilson without necessarily being burned from the outside by anyone other than Spann for the Gamecocks. Baylor's depth and guard play is also a question mark. Louisville appears to have the talent to challenge the Huskies, but I'm still not sold that the Cardinals have the coaching to challenge the Huskies. Ditto for TN, and add in the extremely young lineup after Russell & Nared.

That leads me to the #1 challenger for the Huskies, the same team that took them down last year. McGowan is playing like an AA in the post, and the experience and talent of Vivians and William from outside will limit UConn's ability to help in the post. Add in that Vic Schaefer is one hell of a coach and the Bulldogs are the team that worries me the most.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In the second half, I was kinda surprised that their coach didn't try a front line of Caron-Goudreau, White and Joyner-Holmes along with Atkins and McCarty in the backcourt to see how we would respond to the three bigs. I think that may have given us a problem seeing how we were in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Without Z, UConn would have lost last night. Texas had effectively cut-off the Huskies' usual passing opportunities under the basket, so Stevens realized that her only option was to drive to the hoop. She did this again and again, making lay-ins, getting fouled (she's as good a shooter from the stripe as UConn has). I don't buy for a minute that this year's success depends upon her evolution, though clearly it would help. It's really a heavy lift to place so much responsibility on Azura, and we shouldn't do it. I've never seen a defense shut down the Huskies' offense as the Longhorns did. When (and if) that happens, someone has to find a way: last night that someone was Z.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the second half, I was kinda surprised that their coach didn't try a front line of Caron-Goudreau, White and Joyner-Holmes along with Atkins and McCarty in the backcourt to see how we would respond to the three bigs. I think that may have given us a problem seeing how we were in foul trouble.
Interesting thought, although Holmes clearly wasn't the same player we faced last season at the Mohegan Sun. The suspension has hurt her timing and she appeared out of shape.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Without Z, UConn would have lost last night. Texas had effectively cut-off the Huskies' usual passing opportunities under the basket, so Stevens realized that her only option was to drive to the hoop. She did this again and again, making lay-ins, getting fouled (she's as good a shooter from the stripe as UConn has). I don't buy for a minute that this year's success depends upon her evolution, though clearly it would help. It's really a heavy lift to place so much responsibility on Azura, and we shouldn't do it. I've never seen a defense shut down the Huskies' offense as the Longhorns did. When (and if) that happens, someone has to find a way: last night that someone was Z.
Z also got blocked on a couple of those drives as well as missing a couple shots at the basket, hence my desire for Z to develop something remotely looking like a jump hook, or some kind of shot that can be released high with either hand.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wilson gets the most publicity and hype due to So Carolina's winning the National Championship last year. However, she's not the most dominant post player and IMO should not be the favorite for Player of the Year. Teaira McCowan and Kalani Brown are more dominant post players. There are other players having just as good of year that Wilson is having and I would include Katie-Lou amongst them. I am wondering if Wilson has to sit out 4-6 games will she still be the favorite for Player of the Year.

While there are a number of teams that can certainly challenge UConn this season, It's going to take a particularly talented team, with all the right pieces to beat the Huskies. Last night, TX started 2 decent 6'4" post players, surrounded by an experienced and talented squadron of guards who shoot the ball well. On a neutral court, the Huskies have a greater advantage IMO.

ND would have been on the list, but the Irish don't have the depth or a true pg to run the offense. SC has the most dominant post in the country, but UConn should be able to collapse on Wilson without necessarily being burned from the outside by anyone other than Spann for the Gamecocks. Baylor's depth and guard play is also a question mark. Louisville appears to have the talent to challenge the Huskies, but I'm still not sold that the Cardinals have the coaching to challenge the Huskies. Ditto for TN, and add in the extremely young lineup after Russell & Nared.

That leads me to the #1 challenger for the Huskies, the same team that took them down last year. McGowan is playing like an AA in the post, and the experience and talent of Vivians and William from outside will limit UConn's ability to help in the post. Add in that Vic Schaefer is one hell of a coach and the Bulldogs are the team that worries me the most.

Reaction Score
Z delivered when it mattered on offense last night, especially when a couple of her teammates found her with some very good dimes.

I thought one of the issues last night was that the offense was somewhat one-note and predictable. I wouldn't quite stay stagnant, but half-court sets kept resulting in Gabby with the ball at the top of the key, or an isolated one-on-one drive to the rim by Z. Obviously the Texas defense was giving us problems, because a more variable read-and-react didn't seem to be there, I think in part because Kia still has trouble creating in such situations.

Reaction Score

We clearly have a chance, but several teams ( including Texas ) will be much better come March. How much better will UCONN be?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Z also got blocked on a couple of those drives as well as missing a couple shots at the basket, hence my desire for Z to develop something remotely looking like a jump hook, or some kind of shot that can be released high with either hand.

I don't think Z needs a jump hook right now. She has a very accurate 5 to 10 foot jumper that she needs to use more. Those 2 or 3 times when drove and missed would have been an opportune time to stop and pop a short one. The fact that Z can drive the lane makes the jumper more effective. Again, this is the learning curve for her. She is not totally comfortable playing down low in the blocks but she is learning - on both ends.

Now let me throw a curve at everyone. We are picking apart UConn, but what are the weaknesses of our competitors? Nobody out there is perfect. We saw last night that Texas is a poor three point shooting team. Their bigs are vulnerable to taken off the dribble drive from the top of the key. We know about ND, but what about Louisville, Mississippi State, Baylor, SC, Oregon, Tennessee and any others you can think of.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Now let me throw a curve at everyone. We are picking apart UConn, but what are the weaknesses of our competitors? .
Please take a look at Post #12 on this thread. :cool:

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

Last night's game with TX was really, really enjoyable to watch. Love the close ones.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last night's game with TX was really, really enjoyable to watch. Love the close ones.
My mom hated close UConn games, which she defined as any game with a MOV less than 20 pts. I tend to agree with mom on that.

Reaction Score
My mom hated close UConn games, which she defined as any game with a MOV less than 20 pts. I tend to agree with mom on that.

I like the close ones, though admittedly more in restrospect!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom